Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

Ah. Okay. Well let us know in June when it gets delayed to July. :p

Heh, so looks like a July release now. At least for USA. Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy & Amazon all show a release of July 3, 2012.

So now that it's been delayed to July, I can't wait for the next delay to August :p

Heh, so looks like a July release now. At least for USA. Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Best Buy & Amazon all show a release of July 3, 2012.

So now that it's been delayed to July, I can't wait for the next delay to August :p

Welcome to the world of Atari! :)

Still says June on their Facebook page. :dunno:

Even if it is delayed again, it will be worth it (hopefully). :)

Well, it supposedly came out today in North America and is coming out on Friday in Europe. Anyone got it yet? I pre-ordered my copy in April (for $40) and it says it's gonna ship on Friday...:dunno:

not getting great reviews, punishing difficulty in places (just like some of the races in TDU...)

Some people commenting on this game's Facebook page say that the IGN review was right in mentioning how difficult it can get:

IGN was right--this game goes from very easy to impossible just like that. It was fun while it lasted, but if I'm stuck at 5% completion and cannot progress further and unlock more cars and tracks, I might just have to sell this and get some of my money back. A shame, cause I like it otherwise.

:hmm:

I bet you that guy or the IGN reviewer didn't play it with a wheel so we'll see how difficult it is once I had a go with my wheel. :)

Or maybe he was just granny shifting and not double clutching like he should have...

Racing Legends also includes the obligatory online mode, which pits as many as eight players against each other. The online play is a bit of a tricky proposition, in that it allows players to blend the different racing classes against one another, and there isn't a way to limit the races to just one class. In other words, the Formula One cars, with their awesome pickup and tight controls, almost always win. It's great that the game includes the mode, but allowing there to be some level of restrictions on which cars can race each other seems like a misstep.

Seems like a silly omission that will pretty much ruin online play. TDU1 and 2 had ways to restrict such things.

I will probably buy the game when it hits the bargain bin. Had it been Lamborghini Legends...then it might have been a different story for me.

Had it been Lamborghini Legends...then it might have been a different story for me.

"Lamborghini Legends" :lol: That game will have like what, 10 cars max? :lol:

Online play doesn't interest me one bit, so those problems don't matter to me. The main complaint about the single player campaign is the crushing difficulty, but I'm sure they will fix that in a patch. I'm getting this game because I'm a Ferrari fanboy...and it is the only game on the PS3 that will give me a chance to drive my two favourite Ferraris: the 355 and the F50. Plus, the campaign is nice and long and gives you a history lesson on all the cars you drive. :D

I think only true Ferrari fans can enjoy this game because all others won't overlook the issues with the game just to drive all those cars (many of which are not available in any other game...ever).

I would have expected a Ferrari fan like yourself to know that :)

Saw both examples at the local Italian autoshow yesterday:

292517_676199888586_1566920781_n.jpg

580677_676199973416_477166379_n.jpg

By the way, what do you think of the game? I never bought it but I'm considering it.

The game's been getting mixed reviews; some liking it, some loving it, and some hating it. So far I've played through the "Golden" era and I'm about halfway through the "Silver" era and I have to say...it's pretty damn good. At first it was just OK when playing with the old cars because they were pretty slow and handled like shit (just like in real life :D). You can start in any era (Golden, Silver, or Modern) you want, but I think the natural thing to do is start with Golden and make your way up because you can really see and feel the advancements of the cars over the years; first they start out slow and not handling very well, but as you go through the years you really notice the speed and handling improvements (with both road and race cars). For instance, the 250 GTO looks awesome, but it's handling isn't very good which makes it hard to drive...and less fun. The 288 GTO shows huge improvements with speed and handling and the F40 is just a pure dream to drive.

Honestly, I think you have to be a Ferrari fan to like this game so I dunno if a Lambo fan like yourself would like it, but as a game it is pretty good. The physics aren't GT5 or Forza, obviously, but I find the driving to be adequate and the cars are fun to drive (keep in mind I'm playing with a wheel which is way better than a controller). I'm playing it on the PS3 and the graphics are pretty good (would look amazing on a high-end PC, especially the cars). Between races you get little snippets of a storyline where you play a racing driver moving up the ranks; it's not great but I'm not complaining...it's a nice little addition to the game.

The events can get a little repetitive (understandable since there are so many), but sometimes you get cool ones which you've never seen before like one I did recently where to see how far F1 cars have advanced, the AI was in an F1 car from the 70's and you were put in a "current" (80's) F1 car. The older car had a 15 second head start and the goal is you have 1 lap to catch and overtake him. That one in particular was pretty cool. :)

Overall, I'm enjoying the game and I would recommend it to racing game fans (even if you're not a Ferrari fan). :)

Edit: Remembering all those comments on how it's so hard it's impossible sometimes...I'm playing on medium level (gonna save hard for later) and I've never encountered an "impossible" event. Some are ridiculously easy, some are pretty challenging and frustrating (time trials are the hardest), but not that hard overall (I guess those people complaining were playing on easy so they were pretty useless anyway :p).

Last edited:
Nice. I may have to pick it up then. I just recently reinstalled TDU2...do the cars handle better than TDU?

I think the only car both games share is the 308 GTS and from what I remember from TDU2 I think they handle pretty similar (both are semi-sim games), but it feels a bit more solid in FRL.

Ilpav, I don't know how you enjoyed this. I find it frustrating as hell. Yes, the events are repetitive! I've done the last 10 or so races in the 512BB and only on Monza, Silverstone, Imola, and the lake. Furthermore, the 5 lap races are annoying because the game likes to play tricks on you. I'm on a five lap race (which takes about 10 minutes) and halfway through lap 3 I get a message that my arm is cramping and I can't shift gears anymore! WTF, I'm in fifth! Naturally, I lose the race. Replay. I spin on the last lap and lose again. Replay. The cramping again!

Sure, sounds realistic and challenging, but there is no incentive...the next event is at Monza and with the 512BB again. I'm both bored, and frustrated.

Edit: Tried it again and the exact same thing happened. Fourth lap, I'm leading the pack by 6-7 seconds when the game decides that my arm is cramping up and I can't shift gears! I struggle for a whole lap, during which my gap is destroyed and two cars, including the nemesis Rico Malone pass me, when the game decides that I can shift gears again. By this moment, they are a good 3 seconds ahead of me, with less than a lap to go. I try to catch up when the game sends me a good sign that Rico is slowing down. 10 seconds later I see that Rico is not slowing down, but instead has taken the lead! I even tried this event on Easy and it is still impossible!

Last edited:
Sounds like your driver is a pussy. If drivers can go for nearly 4 hours in a row at Le Mans, then I think someone can drive for 10 minutes.

Sounds like you're a pussy. If drivers can go for nearly 4 hours in a row at Le Mans, then I think someone can drive for 10 minutes.

:D

Remembering all those comments on how it's so hard it's impossible sometimes...I'm playing on medium level (gonna save hard for later) and I've never encountered an "impossible" event. Some are ridiculously easy, some are pretty challenging and frustrating (time trials are the hardest), but not that hard overall (I guess those people complaining were playing on easy so they were pretty useless anyway :p).

:whistle:

What system are you playing it on and what are you using to drive (controller, keyboard, etc.)? From the comments I read using a keyboard is the worst (and hardest) way to play, and a good FF wheel is the only way to go.

I'm pretty sure that "cramping" is a scripted event. When it happened to me, it was late in the race and I was 1st, but obviously the other drivers were catching up so in some cases I had to resort to blocking them from getting past (pretty easy since the AI is pretty shit :p).

As for the repetitiveness, yeah it can get a bit boring sometimes but that's excusable for a game that has such a huge campaign (over 200 events) that will eventually have you drive every single car on every single track.

Last edited:
I use a keyboard (on a laptop at that) and use the Pro driving settings with the driver's aids turned off.

I tried to make it more realistic by using the "Pro" setting, but found the cars unrealistically twitchy so I just set it on "Normal" (low TC, stability, ABS) and haven't looked back since. :)