Test drove a Solstice.

I really like the MX5 and have a good friend who owns one and wants me to join the club. But the MX5 is pretty soft stock. It has horrendous body roll. My friend bought a set of Mazdaspeed coilovers first thing to solve the problem. I like the previous generation more, I have to admit. A turbo Mazdaspeed model would be very nice and within my budget.

He had the thing decked out with the suspension package which gave the car bilstein suspension and the LSD. He sold it and got a C43 instead, he hated the lack of power. My chipped A4 made mincemeat of his car especially after 60 when the turbo is really in its stride.. One other huge downside, if you buy it, its going to have depreciation close to a hyundai.. He bough his in February of 06.. Sold in November 06, now thats 10 months, the thing managed to loose 7500 dollars of value with only 7k miles on the odo..

The safest bet for best resale value and sheer power would be the S2000 just because hondas dont depreciate too much, and ive seen one at autocross. Scary that thing is..

Ya it's got an infield course. And I bet there'll be at least one Solstice running around, there was one last time.

Here's one at the track here in Colorado:
PICT0014.jpg

Haven't seen any 2006 MX-5's at the track though :cry:

I crack up everytime I go to choose a smilie.

The safest bet for best resale value and sheer power would be the S2000 just because hondas dont depreciate too much, and ive seen one at autocross. Scary that thing is..
S2000s are losing valves at about 60k to 70k miles. This is bad. Especially since the warranty runs out at 50k.

Last edited:
S2000s are losing valves at about 60k to 70k miles. This is bad. Especially since the warranty runs out at 50k.

Thats if your not doing the 30k or less valve adjustments you need to do. I need to do one myself, before this upcoming road racing event...

The S2000 makes me nervous because the laws of physics only go so far when you're pushing 110hp per liter. Now you're saying to pump it up to 175hp per liter "No Worries"? I'd worry. Everytime I accelerate hard I'd be waiting for the sound of a connecting rod flying through the oil pan.

The first people that bought their S2000 only a few thousand miles later added a comptech SC... Its been proven that they last 100K + miles without any sort of engine breakage. The bottom is forged and has already withstood 500hp on the stock engine.

He had the thing decked out with the suspension package which gave the car bilstein suspension and the LSD. He sold it and got a C43 instead, he hated the lack of power. My chipped A4 made mincemeat of his car especially after 60 when the turbo is really in its stride.. One other huge downside, if you buy it, its going to have depreciation close to a hyundai.. He bough his in February of 06.. Sold in November 06, now thats 10 months, the thing managed to loose 7500 dollars of value with only 7k miles on the odo..

I'm not sure if I should take resale value into consideration or not. I want to keep whatever sportscar I buy forever. It's the type of car that would have appeal, even 10 years from now, the way Mazda Miata's are still sought after for Autocross, etc.

I don't think previous generations of anything do well with the release of an all new model, that could be the cause of your friends problems. Another reason to buy a Solstice, knowing GM, it could be 5-6 years before a major overhaul.

The first people that bought their S2000 only a few thousand miles later added a comptech SC... Its been proven that they last 100K + miles without any sort of engine breakage. The bottom is forged and has already withstood 500hp on the stock engine.
I hear that about most cars. I can't tell you how many times I hear Supra owners talk about how their cars can handle 700hp on stock internals. I know Honda builds great engines, but there are limits on everything. 500hp on a 2L motor lasting 100+ thousand miles with absolutely no breakages? You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true.... they usually aren't.

I am not sure about stock internals, but Science of Speed in Phoenix, Az has awesome engine performance upgrades to get 400hp out of the S2000 with realitively good reliabilaty.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/s2000/
An example of our capabilities:

* stage 1 forced induction builds: sleeved, forged pistons, blueprinted, & balanced engine assembly for 400 hp.
* stage 2 forced induction builds: sleeved, forged pistons, billet rods, strengthened engine internals, blueprinted, & balanced engine assembly for 500+ hp.
* high compression naturally aspirated engines for racing use
* 2.2-2.3L stroker engines

They also have an 3.8lt stroker engine program for the NSX. Once I find the right NSX for me, and get use to its dynamics.... Science of Speed 3.8 stroker package