• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Test drove the new GTI...

Raider

the mkiv GTI is like a piece of shit car compared to the new GTI...
0-60 in about 6 seconds, 80 not much long after, 120 in about 3-4 seconds after that...

that DSG gearbox is mind blowing...you know when you drive a car hard when you shift the car jerks...yeah, not in this car, i was pushing it and the shifting was butter smooth, no matter what you couldn't feel the shifting at all, it just felt like it was just pulling and pulling and pullling...

and this car sticks to the ground...holy shit, it behaves like a rwd car honestly, it'll just stick and pull, the guy i took out out with is a former circuit drivers so he took me to a back road with lots of curves and we just tossed that car around, even with traction control off, the tires never chirped and i was taking 90 degree turns at a good 60+ mph...

this car is simply amazing..

I'm not big into street racing and think it's really stupid, but on the way back to the dealership, an integra gsr decided to rev at me, the dealership guy was all...go for it...the integra had no chance...

oh, and you can spin the tires in first gear effortlessly...just stomp on it and it'll spin....

amazing... :thumbsup:

i test drove a 6sp. GTi the other day and hoooooo-doggy, that was such a great time. You gave a spot on review there, I just wish the lady that took me out was cooler. She just kept talking about how much she hated manual gear boxes and to keep the speed limit. (what good is a test drive if you can drive it the way you normally drive :evil: )

I love the car so much, but with my line of work i have to travel a lot and carry clients in my car. So a 2 door hatch really isn't pratical. That's the whole reason I'm looking into a B5 S4.

how is the ride? thats the biggest complaint that people that i've talked to have about the GTI

She just kept talking about how much she hated manual gear boxes and to keep the speed limit. (what good is a test drive if you can drive it the way you normally drive

Oh my god...
Why the hell would you rag on the car (or any manual, when the customer clearly prefers it) when you're trying to sell it? That's aweful sales(wo)manship. Everytime I've "tested" a car, I drive it like a rental, and the sales rep usually complies with, if not encourages, "spirited" driving, and rightfully so; the whole point is to excite the customer. I remember driving the anniversary ed. GTI a couple years ago on a backroad, going down a hill, across a little bridge, and up into a right-twisting uphill corkscrew; the car went up on two wheels exiting the corner - the younger-ish sales rep just yelled and started laughing hysterically.... :lol:

klutch said:
She just kept talking about how much she hated manual gear boxes and to keep the speed limit. (what good is a test drive if you can drive it the way you normally drive

Oh my god...
Why the hell would you rag on the car (or any manual, when the customer clearly prefers it) when you're trying to sell it? That's aweful sales(wo)manship. Everytime I've "tested" a car, I drive it like a rental, and the sales rep usually complies with, if not encourages, "spirited" driving, and rightfully so; the whole point is to excite the customer

Pff not only that.....that's the whole point to a GTI! :mrgreen:

She was an aweful sales person. She didn't know anything of the car, or care about why I was looking at one. The situation seemed like she was the wife of the main salesmen who just kinda hangs out at the dealership.... but i knew that wasn't the case.

Oh and bartboy, as far as the ride... It was a little rough, but I think that's why the new GTI has it's awesome handling. Also it was one with the 18's so that would make it rougher on the potholes and bumps.

/400th post :thumbsup:

Nice review Raider!! Those DSG's really are great bits of work! Its great to hear that it feels like a rear wheel drive car with lots of grip...that makes all the difference.

This topic should be in Gen Automotive section...

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Nice review Raider!! Those DSG's really are great bits of work! Its great to hear that it feels like a rear wheel drive car with lots of grip...that makes all the difference.

This topic should be in Gen Automotive section...

he put it in the Automotive News / Spy Shots / Concepts / Rumor Mill section because the car just got introduced to north america. its a way different model then the one in europe, so it makes sense that he put it there

Nah, it's best in Gen Automotive.

bartboy9891 said:
how is the ride? thats the biggest complaint that people that i've talked to have about the GTI

the car i had was equiped with 17 inch tires, and all the reviews i've read have complained about a bumpy ride...honestly, the ride is stiff (like any sporty handling car), but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...
where i live is pot hole central (i have to get my car aligned every 6-8 months because of it), and the ride was pretty smooth concidering the conditions...all my roads are torn up...

Nice review :thumbsup: andy pics?, me and my dad test drove the Mk 2 vRS last week(same engine and performance as the GTI) and we found that the larger wheels ruined the ride.

vRS said:
Nice review :thumbsup: andy pics?, me and my dad test drove the Mk 2 vRS last week(same engine and performance as the GTI) and we found that the larger wheels ruined the ride.

so do you want a good handling sporty car, or do you want a cushy car to hide the road?

Spot-on review. I drove one with the DSG a couple weeks ago and while I dislike automatics, I must say only if all automatic transmissions were as this good as the DSG. It shifts way faster than the human hand can with a manual, like in milleseconds. The power delivery is sensational, didn't notice any turbo lag, and it was a blast overtaking semis down the interstate not realizing I've then reached 105 MPH!

The car had the optional 18" wheels, and the ride felt very firm but not overly harsh. Steering provided excellent feedback, very sharp and responsive. and The handling, well, very grippy, firmly planted with minimum body roll. In comparison, it makes the MkIV feel like a Buick when pushed to its limits. I read somewhere that VW hired some of the engineers who worked on the Ford Focus rear suspension for the MkV. Not sure if it's true, but it does really show. My only gripe is the ride height on NA models, looking like it's ready to go mudslingin'. Only a swap with the lower European-market spings will fix the problem.

I'm really sold with this new GTI. The interior space, ergonomics and seating is just about perfect, except for the base of the windsheild and dashboard is pretty huge. The performance, plus the utility of a hatchback, it's the best overall package at a reasonable price - base USD $21,990 with 2.0T FSI, 6-speed MT. This may very well be my next car. I'll take mine in Candy White, plaid cloth seats, package 1 (sunroof and free 3 months of satellite radio subscription), and, I don't know, still split between the DSG and manual.

090.jpg

Another great review :thumbsup: I say go for the DSG!! I'm love its technology and what a difference it obviously makes. If I were to have it my way, I'd for the car in red though..

So you can't escape this question: Where the hell have you been hiding all this time? :p I remember you from waay back. I remember you having a fight with jasonchiu once and your avatar or sig was a topdown view of a 95 right? See I have good memory :D

I've never really left, since I still continue to get my seasonal TG fix, but I've been pretty busy all this time. I'm taking some time-off from school, planning to hit the books again in April, and just going to work earning and saving-up for that hot hatch (I still love the Mini Cooper S, but the bigger, faster, and cheaper MkV GTI is under my radar now).