Test Drove the new M3

djdorifto

Car(s)
Honda S2000
*I copied this from my local car club forum, so just ignore the names :)*

Welp, me and JohnnyZ took part in the 11th annual BMW Test Drive for breast cancer. Me and J-Z got to the dealership around 12:40 or so. As soon as we registered the first car to be open is the 335i Coupe. Sadly J-Z couldn't get the Conv. 335i so he rode shotgun with me.

Blazing down the Cswy a set of blue lights down towards the end of the Cswy soon made me upshift to cruise at a nice 60mph. Sadly Mr.J-Z The Navigator told me to take the first stoplights and make a left. We pulled over and snapped a few shots and I told J-Z to drive it the rest of the way. I looked at the map they gave us and thats where I found out that we were suppose to take A1A then Eau Gallie. Ohwell, no biggy. J-Z still getting use to the paddel shifters he gunned it and we soon hit 80mph in no time. Man J-Z thought, this is really nice. I nodded in agreement and did a few more hammer down runs. We got to the dealership and got out to try our next victim.

Ali was soon in our group when he came back from driving a 550i (i think). We looked at what cars are ready to be driven. Like a Tiger stalking its prey me and J-Z spotted two Z4 Coupe's coming in and we quickly took grab of the keys. Ali stalked his prey, a drop-top 335i. We took off from the dealership and we weaved in and out of traffic. Ali took me by surprise with a 3-2-1 honk and I slap the paddels instead of pushing it to downshift. We soon saw the pavilion were we held our annual BMS bbq meet. We turned in and took a few pictures. Ali turned to me and said, "I'm going for a burnout"... Sadly a fair attempted at a burn-out we took off gunning down the Cswy heading back to the dealership.

We pulled in and got it to stalk our next prey when a weird looking BMW pulls in. A bump on its hood and a black top. W.T.F...Could it be? No, it can't be, they don't have any M cars. With a quick stab of the gas pedal the V8 roar'd and it was known it was the new M3. You have to be 30 years old though, but what the heck I'll try to get on the list.

"Steven Martinez, for the M3 please" I said with a quite voice. "Alrighty Then" said the short girl with the list in her hand. I was 6th on the list and with 2 and half hours to go before they close I may get a chance to drive it I thought.

and hour and half passed and I'm there sitting, stalking for when the M3 pulls in another name off the list till I get to drive it. It pulls in and the girl reads off the list to who goes first. One by one no one came forth to test drive the car. Those 15 seconds were the longest seconds in my life till they called "Alrighty Steven, I guess your the only one that really wants to drive it." Oh !$#$ Ya.

The guy lead me to the M3, he noted down the miles of the M3 and told me "your all set, have fun with her"... Biggest understatement I thought to myself "thanks bro." As I sit in the seats, I so felt like I was home. The seats holding you like a Mother holding their new born baby, The huge LCD screen in the middle, buttons everywhere, the cluster gauge, and that nice M button on the steering wheel. So I place the Mercedes looking key in the slot and I pressed the start engine button. The car roared to life... sounded sooo sweet. A cool arm extension gives you the seat belt (surprised it doesn't buckle it for you). I gave the gas pedal a quick slap like you do to a nice rounded butt on a girl, the V8 engine gave a nice roar back, teasing you, wanting you to do it again...so I did...

Anyways, enough of that, I needed to burn some rubber. I pulled out of the parking lot and already two guys in a Conv. mustang looking in awe of the car. I gave the car some stick with the car in front of me ways a head of me the car ROARED to 8500rpm's, in to 2nd I already was coming up fast to the car in front of me. I quickly moved to the far left lane to turn on the Cswy. At the stop light, I looked around at the interior and just played around with the car's iDrive to make sure I'm getting the 100% effect of this car. Turning the M button on, I noticed a change in the exhaust note on idle... This might be interesting I thought... Light changed so I let the car in front go ahead a bit and I floored it, holy shit was the difference insane. I couldn't stop slapping the gas pedal down shift to 2nd and gun it to 3rd. People from other cars and even a group of girls coming out of school looked on in awe and even a bit scared when I gave the girl some stick...

I pulled over the spot we took pictures in the Z4's and just went to down with the pics. I fell in love with it even more with the lines, even that bump in the hood that i thought was awful in the pictures gave the car that needed "look at me, I'm a cock, but I love it"... I hopped back in the car and I drove more. With the Eau Gallie road coming up from A1A I didn't even think, my mind, my heart, my hands just kept on going straight. I drove all the way down to the Pineda Cswy road and drove all the way down to US1. When going on the off ramp to US1, I give it a bit of stick when merging to the lane that I got slideways for a bit. I haven't slided a car since my 240 days and I can say it was just insanely easy with the M3. No effort at all.

It first when I heard about the price tag, i thought it was too high, but I think its worth every damn penny. Its a track daily driver car and even then some. The only only only thing i hate about the m3 is the shifter. I'm spoiled with the shifter on the S2000. Theres nothing like it. The throws are fall too long, the clutch pedal travel was too long. When I get the M3 (lol) the first thing I'm doing is the clutch delay valve taken off and a Short Shifter with a nice shift knob. That would make it truly perfect in my eyes.

So with the dealership coming closer by each stop light I bask in the beauty, the power, the engineering. With one word that I can some up about the car by Jeremy Clarkson...

Absolutely Brilliant

2287666576_4a60087604_o.jpg

2286879495_2820da7fa9_o.jpg

2287667658_4b2a586f06_o.jpg

I'm going to wait another year to see how the M3 holds up before I take the plunge in one...

The rest of the pictures on my flickr account... http://www.flickr.com/photos/djdorifto/

ROFL, look at the side wall of the tyres.

M3 = RAPED

Goddamn you. I wanted to be the first on the forum to have a go at the M3, I'm 'getting mine' next week...

Goddamn you. I wanted to be the first on the forum to have a go at the M3, I'm 'getting mine' next week...
Sorry, my dad already owns 5 of them.

Just looks like dirt to me...

Well im not sure, cos thats how the tyres on my scooby looked like after i gave it some serious stick.

Drifting is a nightmare for tyres, it will eat up all the tyre walls in no time.

I can't remember for sure if i can recall any of your other posts here, but you sound much more hyperactive and, errr, adolescent on the BMW boards :p

which car do you think had better steering feedback, S2000, or M3?

Just felt like adding some spice to my story since it was so long. But if a car brings me back to being 15 again then its done its job. I haven't owned a BMW nor am I on the forums, so sorry.

I can't compare the M3 with a S2000. They both have their own feel and I love them both. One thing though is I'm not use to all that buttons to set suspension, throttle response, and etc... I just like getting in my S2000 and knowing all the driving is being done by me, not a computer and everything is on with nothing to push except for the gas pedal...

how do you get to do those test drives? or where do you go to get info on them?

the tires were raped trust me haha... Rears had about 5% life on them left

lol yeah, that was the first thing i spot in the picture.

this is why you should never ever buy a demo car.

Sorry, my dad already owns 5 of them.

We got the new M3 GTR this morning. Now you say that there isn't a new GTR made yet, but we got it because my Dad owns BMW and is an astronaut.

Anyway, the test sounds cool, and is for a good cause

I'm off to play baseball with Nelson Mandela.

I've gone to that event for the past 3-4 years when it's been in the area. Always sucked because I wasn't 25 and couldn't drive the really cool stuff. Last year was even more limited because they wouldn't let us youngsters into the 335i either.

But this year I'm old enough, and that is the car I want to drive more than anything. I'm reserving all bloody day with that :p