Texas Highway Speed Limits To Increase Today (+5mph, night limits gone)

From what I heard Montana still doesn't have a speed limit for the most part. If not officially.

The last time I drove through Montana, two years ago, there was speed limits and people followed them. There were also cops around some parts of it. I was on I-90 most of the time so perhaps it is just that road.

Will you two just get a room already?

They want to keep their love for each other secret and arguing in piublic is the only way for them to hide it. :mrgreen:

They want to keep their love for each other secret and arguing in public is the only way for them to hide it. :mrgreen:

:clarkson: It's the worst collaboration between the Germans and the Americans since Adolphus Busch gave us that headache in a can called Budweiser.

:clap: :may: It looks like a dog parking its breakfast!

Only an American with a two second attention span could choose to ignore the video and only respond to the irrelevant audio.

First off, both of you - don't hassel the Hoff.

Second: I'll have you know, Narf that my attention span is much lo

Why is this thread now about David Hasselhoff?

Read Page 3.

On second thought, don't. It gets pretty bad and seriously off-topic.

Spectre must be pretty fond of him, as often as he brings him up in conversation.

Read Page 3.

On second thought, don't. It gets pretty bad and seriously off-topic.
I actually have it set to more posts per page so I can just scroll up.

It is still silly.

That is pretty dumb decreasing it, CALIFORNIA, as far as I've seen up where I live everyone goes at least 10-25 above the speed limit. And then they get caught by the CHP in many of their hiding spots for catching speeders (sometimes they net as many as 4 drivers at once). Driving back and forth between houses I know where a good portion of the spots are. I get passed going about 4-5 over (68/69 or 73/74 on 70MPH stretches) by about most everyone.

Also, if I went the speed my headlights could shine I could maybe go max 30-40MPH. Maybe. Smaller car front ends were a bit lower back in the late 90s it seems, but mine do not adjust very high (we tried adjusting it, at best it points slightly higher than where the lights are). At night, however, I drive on roads with decent lighting and it helps.

California has plenty of 75-limit freeways, so that map is a little old. Besides, the real speed limit in CA is actually 10 MPH over whatever's posted. CHP doesn't give a damn unless you're doing 85+ in a 75. Most people in it for the long cruise on 5 go at about 100 most of the time. Stupid driving attracts way too much attention from CHP so they kind of leave speeders alone. They make way more catches with various other traffic violations.

PS, lane-splitting. We win. Automatically.

Great, USA raising limits, Germany getting more and more limited. I am seriously tempted to start buying radar detection shit here in Germany, it is just no fun any more.
And regarding lorry speed limits: I welcome not having 150km/h 40 ton deathmobiles on the roads as they destroy enough shit already when crashing into traffic jams, but the limit to 80 is just hilarious.

You clearly live in the wrong part of our country. I have no problems like that at all :D

On a side note: Spectre managed to derail his own "Hooray, soon Texans can run their junkyard cars at higher speeds" thread into a David Hasselhoff discussion? :blink:

Now THAT is what I call funny :lol:

Last edited:
That graphic's going to be needing some updating soon.. :D At least we don't have to get stuck behind trucks forced to go 5-10mph slower than everyone else any more.

Most big trucking companies set their trucks to about 65 for safety and fuel efficiency and they probably won't be turning up their speed governors just because the speed limit went up. I wouldn't expect to see trucks going much faster, especially the big companies. Now the private owner/operators, that's a different story.

Someone needs to inform the police about this...
I was pulled over last night at about 2:30am 77 in a 70(day) 65(night)area in Rhome, TX last night coming back from a friends house. He told me I was going 77 in a 65. I told him the limit is 70 and that night limits didnt count anymore. He googled it on his phone and said he was really just doing random stops to catch drunk people and thanks for the info and sent me on my way.

Yes, he's on eBay.

You'll need two of these kits (one per side): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/165m...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ce3cae216

What's your timeframe for the purchase? If it's immediate, I'll call him tomorrow and see if it's okay to pass his direct contact info on. I'd pass his number along as it's listed, but he's a nice but reserved older Indian gentleman and he didn't seem to be too happy about the idea of someone passing out his phone number and address to anyone he hadn't spoken to first. You may get to deal with his wife, who is more outgoing.

Also tell him you don't want the stupid blue bulbs but standard white ones (he does carry them and will swap them out at no cost). Do that and you will be able to safely enjoy our new nighttime speed limits. I have the AutoPal 7" 6024 replacements in the Series III and love them.

My time frame for the headlights is probably sometime shortly after the first of the year and or when the new engine goes in. :) Thanks for the info, and yes I detest those blue lights. That and they technically illuminate less than white bulbs.

In reality, all this means is that everyone's speeding tickets get a bit cheaper - because as mentioned before everyone speeds because the limits are too low. (And Texas is so large, you have to speed if you want to get anywhere, etc., etc.)

The speed limit on this road is 70. I'm on the bike with the camera, I'm doing 80-plus, and I am still being passed - and not by exotics either.

[video=youtube;MLGPrWw-0ds]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLGPrWw-0ds[/video]

I once got passed by a schoolbus doing ten over. Everyone here speeds.

Looks like you were on PGBT in Carrollton. :D Everyone cruises at 85-90mph there, except me. I try to do 78-80 and stick with it, those cops aren't friendly.

I've got you beat. The wife and I went to Houston for the Labor Day weekend and on the way back I literally had my cruise control set at 90mph AND I WAS STILL BEING PASSED! I was passed by young, middle aged and even older people. I was even passed by, no joke, a Prius.

I joked with the wife about it and she wanted me to snap a pic of my speedo. I was "following" *cough* drafting a BMW X5 for at least 120 of those miles up I45 at said speeds. Funny thing is I still managed to average 26mpg at 85-90mph for the whole trip back. Ironically I saw an orange Gallardo on the way down their Friday evening and he was doing 5mph UNDER the speed limit.

*edit*
Oh, and we went to the A&M game Sunday and the trip up 290/6 was just as fast flowing.

Someone needs to inform the police about this...
I was pulled over last night at about 2:30am 77 in a 70(day) 65(night)area in Rhome, TX last night coming back from a friends house. He told me I was going 77 in a 65. I told him the limit is 70 and that night limits didnt count anymore. He googled it on his phone and said he was really just doing random stops to catch drunk people and thanks for the info and sent me on my way.

Wow, that's crazy. You got a victory though, congrats! :)

Last edited: