Texas Highway Speed Limits To Increase Today (+5mph, night limits gone)

fastest I've been in the failturn was 85 on the highway. I don't think it liked it liked it very much so I could see why limits were lower.

fastest I've been in the failturn was 85 on the highway. I don't think it liked it liked it very much so I could see why limits were lower.

That's because not only was your Failturn crap to start with, yours has likely been broken to one degree or another since you've owned it.

Keep in mind that the original US Interstate system was specced for the average car of 1956 to be able to traverse it at 100mph safely and without any potential loss of control issues. Having driven several elderly but restored to blueprint land yachts of that era, I can tell you that if your Saturn was working to spec, it wouldn't have had issues with 85 on the Interstate, even as crap as it was.

Even the civilian Crown Vic, with its 1970s frame and retrofit suspension design, does fine at a 90mph cruise - the cop version does even better.

Last edited:
Germans looooove terrible American music for some reason. In fact, Germany is the only reason why David Hasselhoff still has a career; any time he releases an album, half of Germany buys it immediately.

The other half buys it within a couple of months. :p

His latest release to make it into the German top ten was in 1990. I'd rather blame things such as American talent shows giving him a major spotlight for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hasselhoff#Discography

His latest release to make it into the German top ten was in 1990. I'd rather blame things such as American talent shows giving him a major spotlight for years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hasselhoff#Discography

Congratulations for proving once again that Germans have zero sense of humor. Yes, I was exaggerating for effect. Should we perhaps introduce 'joke' tags for our German members? :p Seriously, yes, we know that it was mostly the Ossies who were fascinated with him and you've spent 20 plus years supposedly trying to get rid of the stigma of loving "The Hoff", but when a German posts a video with equally awful but more recent American pop music, what are the rest of us supposed to think? Because it looks an awful lot like "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" at that point.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,659600,00.html

Should Hasselhoff take the stage at the music awards with a bit more irony, he might go a long way toward making up for past misdeeds -- such as the jacket bedecked with mini-light bulbs and the piano-keyboard scarf he was wearing in 1989. He might even help change the world's opinion on Germany's well-documented humor deficit.

I would, however, point out that when "The Hoff" goes touring, he can't sell out a 5 table cantina in the US but he still draws large crowds in Germany. Why would that be?

Here's a hint: If you would like Hasselhoff to stop coming to your country and performing, STOP BUYING HIS ALBUMS AND GOING TO HIS CONCERTS. He will eventually stop coming back.
Unfortunately, as his concert tours in Germany are continual financial successes, he does them over and over and over and over. That tells me that perhaps the love for 'The Hoff' isn't quite so dead as perhaps some would want us to believe.

Last edited:
Congratulations for proving once again that Germans have zero sense of humor.

We're fine with that.

Yes, I was exaggerating for effect.

Making up facts is not exaggerating, it's making up facts.

Should we perhaps introduce 'joke' tags for our German members?

No point in joke tags without some funny.

when a German posts a video with equally awful but more recent American pop music, what are the rest of us supposed to think?

Only an American with a two second attention span could choose to ignore the video and only respond to the irrelevant audio.

I would, however, point out that when "The Hoff" goes touring, he can't sell out a 5 table cantina in the US but he still draws large crowds in Germany. Why would that be?

Because it's yet another made-up fact. Apparently his grand finale drew 1900 people :yawn: that's not a large crowd, our comedians can draw live audiences of 70000 in a single show.

You see, you think you're funny.

Only an American with a two second attention span could choose to ignore the video and only respond to the irrelevant audio.

I'd point you to phoenixsac, then, as I hadn't bothered watching it with the audio up. See, I've watched German dashcam videos before, and the majority have horrible American pop music in them for some reason, so in order to spare my ears and the brainbleach supply I make sure the audio is muted. I believe other German members have been razzed by others for that on this very forum in the past.

Because it's yet another made-up fact. Apparently his grand finale drew 1900 people :yawn: that's not a large crowd, our comedians can draw live audiences of 70000 in a single show.

Compared to the 12 people I saw at one of his 'big hotel shows' here in Vegas when I stuck my head into the room, yeah, sorry, that's a big crowd. Assuming those 1900 people paid, oh, the equivalent of $20 apiece to get in, 'the Hoff' made a minimum of $20K out of that one night, not bad. In case you're wondering, I stuck my head in to see if a girl had ducked in there, only to find out it was a Hoff event. I fled immediately; I certainly did not pay to enter or for that matter want to be anywhere near the guy when he was attempting to perform.

He's toured Germany repeatedly over the last decade. He wouldn't do it unless he was making money. He wouldn't make money unless Germans were paying him money to perform. If Germans didn't like him, they wouldn't pay money.

You see, you think you're funny.

Not just my opinion, bub.

Last edited:
Haven't you two got some maths/cat photography to be getting on with?

:p

Compared to the 12 people I saw at one of his 'big hotel shows' here in Vegas when I stuck my head into the room, yeah, sorry, that's a big crowd. Assuming those 1900 people paid, oh, the equivalent of $20 apiece to get in, 'the Hoff' made a minimum of $20K out of that one night, not bad.

He had millions of US viewers for years as some horrible talent show judge, I bet he made more than $20k on that.

Haven't you two got some maths/cat photography to be getting on with?

:p

Shush, Spectre making up bullshit is serious business.

He had millions of US viewers for years as some horrible talent show judge, I bet he made more than $20k on that.

He was on a cheapjack summer replacement reality TV show for three years, that's all. Those are notoriously cheap payers, only a notch or two above 'minor soap opera character'. I would be very surprised if he got even $10K per episode, as he definitely isn't a major star and wouldn't need Piers Morgan money to get him there as viewer attractant. It certainly wouldn't pay as much as Idol or the Fall/Spring 'real' heavy hitters. Howie Mandel, who is definitely a major star (though I am unsure why) got paid only $75K per episode of his (much larger budget) fall/spring show Deal Or No Deal, and he did a lot more work there.

Summer shows in the US = mostly fillers and reruns, and usually those that can be produced as cheaply as possible.

I'm reasonably certain he gets more money out of a German tour date than he did from an episode of that hack show.

Last edited:

Don't suppose doing the same on this year's Britain's Got Talent did his bank balance any harm either.

Shush, Spectre Euro-baiting is serious lulz.

Fixed, from a spectator's point of view. ;)

Detects ICBM launched from north west Texas......

Everybody get down! Incomiiiiiiinnng!

Can't you for once get your facts straight?

Okay, sorry, FOUR years/seasons. Der Hoffmeister was only on America's Got (No) Talent from 06-09. I did my math wrong, it's late for me. :p

However, if you think four seasons on a summer filler show are indicative of Americans liking all of the hosts, you're sadly mistaken. I would note that many fans of the show cheered when The Hoff got fired. Mostly girls, actually. The office I worked in at the time had a bevy of females that slavishly watched that show - and Idol when it was on - and they all hated Hoff.

Last edited:
Der Hoffmeister was only on America's Got (No) Talent from 06-09.

Ok, once more for the US education system: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. That's four years.

However, if you think four summer seasons on a summer show are indicative of Americans liking all of the hosts, you're sadly mistaken.

You think 1900 Germans coming to a show means all Germans like him, but I'm mistaken when double-digit millions of Americans watch him for four years means Americans like him. https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/09/02/crazy.gif

I did my math wrong, it's late for me.

Sane adults should be able to count to four at every time of day.

Now, there's no denying that you're an adult...

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
You think 1900 Germans coming to a show means all Germans like him, but I'm mistaken when double-digit millions of Americans watch him for four years means Americans like him. https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2011/09/02/crazy.gif

No, it means that 1900 Germans were willing to pay money to see him, and that significant numbers were also willing to do so at his other tour stops in Germany. And have for years. No, not every single person in Germany likes him, that would clearly be absurd (but really funny if it were true), but apparently enough like him that he keeps coming back for the money. Apparently not the tiniest venues, either.

Regarding America Doesn't Have Talent, from what I can find, many people were wondering why he wasn't fired earlier.

Just because he was on a show where there were other co-hosts doesn't mean that people liked him. For god's sakes, the thing was hosted by Jerry Springer for a couple of years. That's like saying people watched Star Trek: The Next Generation because they liked Wesley Crusher. Sure he was on the show for four years, does that mean most people watched the show because of him? (Answer: No, which is why the character was 'put on a bus' after four seasons.)

People don't pay extra money for the privilege of watching America's Got Talent, so the fact that the Hoff was on a free show with three other hosts doesn't indicate anything at all about whether he is liked or reviled by the viewing audience.

Sane adults should be able to count to four at every time of day.

Try it after being up for 27 hours. Not so simple - but at least I got paid well for the time and my client's server works again. :evil: Eventually he's going to figure out that buying a new server is cheaper than these constant emergency repairs, but that's not my problem. I told him to get a new rig last year.

Anyway, for some reason, I was thinking 2009-2006 = 3. :dunno:

Last edited:
Will you two just get a room already?

Yeah, I'm not German, my sense of humor was not genetically selected out and replaced with a math module.

Actually, connecting character traits to genetic properties of a group of people makes you very mid-20th century German.