Texas school district to let teachers carry guns

Hercules286

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.
ADVERTISEMENT

The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.

School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.

Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.

"We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

Recent school shootings in the United States have prompted some calls for school officials to allow students and teachers to carry legally concealed weapons into classrooms.

The U.S. Congress once barred guns at schools nationwide, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck the law down, although state and local communities could adopt their own laws. Texas bars guns at schools without the school's permission.

(Reporting by Jim Forsyth in San Antonio; writing by Bruce Nichols in Houston, editing by Vicki Allen)

Sauce

Didn't do your homework? Prepare to die, motherfucker. :mrgreen:

And this just in: AK47 sales have been surging.

... how many school-shooting incidents has the State of Texas had in the last decades? The only one I could come up with is from 1966 (at Austin University).

... how many school-shooting incidents has the State of Texas had in the last decades? The only one I could come up with is from 1966 (at Austin University).

42 years of living in fear... no more... we got guns now!

Just because it hasn't happened in a while doesn't mean it won't happen. Think of how many students and teachers would still be alive if a policy like this had been in place sooner and in more areas.

Just because it hasn't happened in a while doesn't mean it won't happen.
And that?s not what I wanted to say by asking this, I am just courious If there is anything in the nearer past that would explain this measure.
Think of how many students and teachers would still be alive if a policy like this had been in place sooner and in more areas.
It?s speculative if or how many people could have been saved by "teachners with guns". I don?t know and so do you. If I were a Gun-phobic, I could even argue the other way round, how many teachers would have misjudged situations and killed children or their parents in the past if this would have been policy or simply lost it and themselves went "nuts". But that is not my point ...

I don?t think this will do anything more good or more bad. If there is a nuthead that want?s to kill his classmates or his teachers, he?ll find other opportunities. Parties, meetings or just on the streets from a driving car. Such a measure saves nobody from noone, it just might move the crimescene out of the school-building. "Oh, it happend outside the school, well that means it has nothing to do with (the) school itself" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Except for a few incidents in Germany, Europe is mostly school shooting incident free...
what makes European schoolkids NOT go berserk and shoot everyone in sight before blowing their own brains out?

Except for a few incidents in Germany, Europe is mostly school shooting incident free...
what makes European schoolkids NOT go berserk and shoot everyone in sight before blowing their own brains out?
It?s not like we don?t have agressive kids, we?ve actually got quite a lot of them. We?ve got quite a lot of stabbings at schools and kids that beat up their teachers. I?d say the level of agression and the problem with kids at school are roughly the same compared to the USA.

The only real difference to "the States" I can come up with is that most parents in Europe don?t have guns at home - so you are a lot more likley to use a knife or your fists if you want somebody else to "feel your misery". That?s the only thing that makes the difference here ...

And that?s not what I wanted to say by asking this, I am just courious If there is anything in the nearer past that would explain this measure.It?s speculative if or how many people could have been saved by "teachners with guns". I don?t know and so do you. If I were a Gun-phobic, I could even argue the other way round, how many teachers would have misjudged situations and killed children or their parents in the past if this would have been policy or simply lost it and themselves went "nuts". But that is not my point ...

I don?t think this will do anything more good or more bad. If there is a nuthead that want?s to kill his classmates or his teachers, he?ll find other opportunities. Parties, meetings or just on the streets from a driving car. Such a measure saves nobody from noone, it just might move the crimescene out of the school-building. "Oh, it happend outside the school, well that means it has nothing to do with (the) school itself" :rolleyes:
I think one of the main reasons classrooms are chosen for shootings is because the shooter has a lot of defenseless targets in a confined area. If he goes to a party to do his shooting there's no telling who else could be packing heat.

It's a tricky situation and one that's not easy to solve. The best we can do is make things as safe as possible and I think this is a step in the right direction.

It?s not like we don?t have agressive kids, we?ve actually got quite a lot of them. We?ve got quite a lot of stabbings at schools and kids that beat up their teachers. I?d say the level of agression and the problem with kids at school are roughly the same compared to the USA.

Yet, the kids who perpetrate school shootings usually aren't aggressive bullies,
but quiet kids who snap and then kill as many people as they can before commiting suicide.

The only real difference to "the States" I can come up with is that most parents in Europe don?t have guns at home - so you are a lot more likley to use a knife or your fists if you want somebody else to "feel your misery". That?s the only thing that makes the difference here ...

Or, is it just that hormonally charged cowards + guns = massacre

Therefore, I doubt that a teacher with gun will be able to do much to prevent some kid from going berserk. He'll just more likely be the first to get shot, and probably in the back of the head.

I wish I woulda got detention for forgetting to bring my DEagle to class when i was in school

It is official, I am now officially from "Texas and those forty-nine lesser states"

I SAID WHERE'S THE GODDAMN HOMEWORK, YOU WHINY BRAT? THROW ANOTHER FUCKING SPITBALL! I DARE YOU, I DOUBLE DARE YA, MOTHERFUCKER! YOU IN THE BACK! SIT THE FUCK UP STRAIGHT! DON'T MAKE ME TELL YOU ONE MORE FUCKING TIME!

(I apologize to all school teachers that I've inevitably misaligned. I'm sorry, Mr. Whitmore, 8th grade physics teacher.)

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

That's the line that really clinches it for me. I support this idea 100%.

But.... it's a (I would assume) rural district with 110 students. Not exactly the recipe for school shootings... or maybe I'm being naive :rolleyes: