Autoblog: Texas tuner developing turbocharged V6 Camaro to take on GT-R's 'Ring record

CrzRsn

So long, and thanks for all the fish
Car(s)
13 Ford Mustang GT, 17 Ford Fiesta ST
I was trying to come up with some clever title for a while, and everytime failed epically, so I had to resort to Autoblog's title.

Must. Beat. Godzilla. For some reason. Here's the skinny. A tuner company called East Texas Muscle Cars is fitting a couple of turbos to a 2010 V6 Camaro in order to "beat" the 'Ring time laid down by none other than the Nissan GT-R. That leaves us with two questions then: how and why?

Lots of folks are going to buy V6 Camaros, grok the 304 hp V6, scratch their heads and say, "More power." In other words, there's a market. ETMC will rip the guts come out of the 3.6-liter LLT and throw in forged rods, crank and pistons. And then, of course, you get the two Squires Turbo Systems turbos. These are remote-mounted turbos that bolt up under the car near the exhaust. With such a system, you're basically trading a bit of lag for increased cooling and no need to mess around with new headers. East Texas thinks they can wring 500 horses out of the system no problem.

Then there's the matter of dealing with the stock Camaro's "tremendous understeer and cradle walk." That's pretty necessary if you want to do battle with a R35, which neither understeers nor cradle walks nor really does anything bad or sloppy. East Texas Muscle Cars will be addressing those issues via harder bushings and Pedders coil-overs, along with a Baer big brake kit and lightweight forged 20-inch wheels.

Then there's the question: Why? Why go after Godzilla, such a high profile target? Unless you're building Clubber Lang, why call out Rocky? Publicity, obviously. Would we even be writing about a bolt-on turbo kit for a V6 Camaro unless they pubically challenged one of the production car 'Ring masters? Probably not. But there is one part of their scheme that we do like. Once the Camaro is finished, ETMC will be flying it and a friend's stock GT-R out to Germany to run 'em both simultaneously. Since that's the case, no need to even mention the inherent fallacy of Nurburgring lap records. Good luck boys.

They couldn't find anything better? Like a SS Camaro maybe? Or a ZR1? Or a Z06?

I don?t see the point.
Their market is "people that didn?t had the money to buy a V8 and now will spend much more than the difference to make it faster"?

SO he is completely modding the enigine and adding all kinds of suspension upgrades to beat a relatively stock vehicle. Yeah, ok then, well I will beat that in a Nascar car that has been modified to be street legal then we will see where this goes. Just completely unimpressed.

It'd be interesting to see how far you can take the V6.

SO he is completely modding the enigine and adding all kinds of suspension upgrades to beat a relatively stock vehicle. Yeah, ok then, well I will beat that in a Nascar car that has been modified to be street legal then we will see where this goes. Just completely unimpressed.

Yes, they are modifying a Camaro to take on a stock GT-R, however look at the differences in the two. The GT-R is a purpose-built street/track monster, while the Camaro is a big, soft, wooly muscle car. Essentially what they're doing is taking the big, soft muscle car and making it a purpose-built street/track monster. So, while it may not be stock, it's taking the Camaro to the GT-R's playing level.

That being said, I think the Camaro will be close, but fail to beat the Datsun.

I think the V6 is lighter?
Lighter than the V8 anyway. The 6 cylinder is a good engine too, plus DI engines deserve boost. I don't know if the Camaro, in any form, is much lighter than a GTR though.

A twin-turbo V6 Camaro with a revised suspension sounds great. Sounds like good specs for a real Z28 <_<. Not that we'll ever see one from the factory.

... since when do muscle-car buyers worry about 'Ring'-times? Sounds pretty pointless to me, taking a muscle-car and turning it into a Supercar ... turning a sportscar into one makes more sense.

Apart from that ... as anyone with a brain between the ears might have realised ... the GT-Rs 'Ring' performance is in big parts based on stuff like the management of the 4wd, gearbox, chassis and electronics ... not just the Turbo-V6 ... if you want to beat the GT-R, just strapping some turbos onto a V6 and doing some suspention-work won?t do the trick. Just look at the efford GM had to do in order to get the ZR-1 to go so bloody fast ... and the Corvette was a great sportscar from the start ...

Last edited:
Good luck with that. I hope it doesn't fall apart and they can manage 8:30 or something.

What a silly idea.

:confused: NASCAR teams don't even use Baer brakes anymore.
Bear brakes, eh?

:think:

dont brake for bears ...
car30.jpg

bear lunch break ...
http://img525.imageshack.**/img525/7128/10615690ky5.jpg

bike-lock break bear ...
funny_369.jpg

Ah! I got it ... there must be Bear brakes under these here ...

ronal_teddy_bear_wheel.jpg

Me smart.

As much as I do like the new V6 Camaro, I can't see them beating the GT-R.

You wanna modify a muscle car to go faster than the GTR? Use a Viper.

Oh, wait.

So they're trying to modify a car to beat a factory spec car? This makes no sense. I mean, race cars are faster than the GT-R, but does anyone care about that either?

I want to be there when they try and watch it fail epically :)

Someone on GTR forums has posted a Godzilla gif, I can't stop laughing :lmao:

:shock2:
Godzilla.gif
:shock2:

Last edited: