TG Challenge Cars

soupdragon

Car(s)
Land Rover Defender
Hi y'all,

Just a quickie that I don't think has been asked before - tried searching but can't think of any more search terms!

But when the trio choose their cars for the challenges, how do they actually go about it?

I mean, obviously they don't go round to a private sellers house to personally collect the cars, but do they tell a researcher or whoever what type of car they want and they go and find one that fits the bill? Or do they find the exact car and send someone off to buy it? In the original cheap car challenge Clarkson said he got a friend to buy the Volvo for him, is it still the case?

In the latest Bolivia film I would have thought that Hammond would have had a Series Land Rover of some description as he is quite fond of them, and what he said in his 'Greatest Car Ever' peice back in the day would have had something to do with his choice. But Clarkson had a Range Rover, so another Landy wouldn't have worked as well, hence the Toyota. So I'm guessing Clarkson sorted his car first??? Unless of course Hammond wanted a Land Cruiser all along, which makes this whole paragraph a waste of time :rolleyes:

I would think they do their own shopping for cars a la the 18-year-old challenge (except not worrying about insurance).

Aside from the classic car/Mallorca challenge, where they bought their cars live at an auction, they probably just scour Autotrader's website.

In the original cheap car challenge Clarkson said he got a friend to buy the Volvo for him, is it still the case?

I think I remember James saying in one of his older articles that he bought his gf a Triumph, and when he went to buy it...had to reassure the owner that it wasn't for some challenge, and it WAS going to be his own car.

Even for a challenge of some sort, I get the idea that whenever they buy a car, it's usually looked at via internet, or something similar before they go to actually buy it.

Either the owner would think it's for a joke..and refuse to sell it.
Or they would think that since these guys are celebrities, they can change them whatever they wanted.

Either the owner would think it's for a joke..and refuse to sell it.
Or they would think that since these guys are celebrities, they can change them whatever they wanted.

I haven't read that article in question, but I have a thought. Could it be the seller tried to squeeze more last minute cash out of May, knowing he's famous (and loaded), that May refused to budge and that negociations subsequently broke down?