Spoilers: TG-Crew participating in Gumball 3000

Turboman

I heard a rumour through a team that will be part of this year's Gumball 3000 rally heading from London to Istanbul.
They said that the Top Gear crew will be on the rally according to the Gb3k HQ.

Does anyone of you has further info or is it just another rumour spread by the guys from Gumball?
Well the time would fit right in the production phase of TG but does as state controlled TV channel paticipate in the biggest (in most of Western Europe's countries) illegal rally?

The BBC isn't state controlled. It is funded by mandatory TV license payments that are enshrined in law but its remit is to provide a broad spectrum of programming under the terms of its charter.

Not that TG tends to give a stuff about rules anyway.

If they are taking part then we can expect a shit load of pictures to appear well before the film is broadcast. Unless of course it is a team from TG magazine which makes more sense as there would only need to be two guys in the one car.

That is not very likly if they have to break UK law. ...

Yes MWF is correct IMHO, TG magazine would be more like it.

Last edited:
From what I know about the Gumballs the participants tend to behave until they get to the continent.....

One nearly hit me up the arse doing about 140 on the M3 going down to Beaulieu a few years ago - Cobol74 not impressed.

meh, Gumball

When I first watched or followed the Gumball it was 2003 and it didnt seem all that brash.... Of course there were some really richmans cars but there were lots of interesting/old cars too and there were genuine characters like Alex Roy who I later found out was hell bent hooked on rallying like this and used the gumball/bullrun type rallies as a kind of practice for eventually trying to cross the USA in less than 32 hours.... in his second hand M5 no less. Then there were those 2 cheeky chappies from Leeds in a 330d who basically nearly won and showed up a lot of lamborghini and ferrari owners and Kim Schmidtz or who ever he was. Some big fat german hacker who drove his specially made Mercedes CL3000 everywhere at 250km/h (ie the limiter).

Then it just sorta descended into a douche baggery.... full of brainless C-list celebs who all turned up in the same cars and did dickish stuff like running away from a head on collision that left the two innocents dead at the side of the road.

meh, Gumball

When I first watched or followed the Gumball it was 2003 and it didnt seem all that brash.... Of course there were some really richmans cars but there were lots of interesting/old cars too and there were genuine characters like Alex Roy who I later found out was hell bent hooked on rallying like this and used the gumball/bullrun type rallies as a kind of practice for eventually trying to cross the USA in less than 32 hours.... in his second hand M5 no less. Then there were those 2 cheeky chappies from Leeds in a 330d who basically nearly won and showed up a lot of lamborghini and ferrari owners and Kim Schmidtz or who ever he was. Some big fat german hacker who drove his specially made Mercedes CL3000 everywhere at 250km/h (ie the limiter).

Then it just sorta descended into a douche baggery.... full of brainless C-list celebs who all turned up in the same cars and did dickish stuff like running away from a head on collision that left the two innocents dead at the side of the road.

I love "Team Polizei", probably the funniest and most creative thing I've seen in the Gumball Rally.

I'm torn on the Gumball. I like the mad people who drive VW campers, ice cream vans or old cars but hate the flash gits in Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I'm not sure which side TG would take either, which is worrying.

TG doing the Gumball would only work in 3000 pence cars.

I'm torn on the Gumball. I like the mad people who drive VW campers, ice cream vans or old cars but hate the flash gits in Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I'm not sure which side TG would take either, which is worrying.

I also think they should drive an older less flashy car.

But I think that Top Gear should cover this. Top Gear is a car show, and I enjoy it when they do stories on the different types of automotive culture. Whether it is covered with awe, like the Ken Block segment, or with scorn like the various caravan/RV segments, you know it's gonna make a good show.

If it's the mag it will probably be the Wookie and a snapper in something fast, new and flash.

If it's the telly boys then shitboxes. As long as they aim to succeed with said shitboxes instead of scripting lots of unfunny fail it has the makings of a really good film.

gumball just rules and as it usually is: haters gonna hate. if top gear would really participate in gumball i am really looking forward to some bets or jokes with alex roy and team polizei...

a little taste of gumball driving skills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4n5spSd3sw

I love "Team Polizei", probably the funniest and most creative thing I've seen in the Gumball Rally.

You should read his book. Its a bit oddly written I think, but once you get into the meat its bloody riveting!

Does he still do these things? I got the feeling he'd had enough and he'd done all he wanted.

gumball just rules and as it usually is: haters gonna hate. if top gear would really participate in gumball i am really looking forward to some bets or jokes with alex roy and team polizei...

a little taste of gumball driving skills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4n5spSd3sw

They really should at least have a 5 minute bit on him. He's easily one of the best gumballers.

I mean check this out

m5_ultimatum.jpg

The man took it very seriously, he wasnt really in to showing off... he just wanted to win. In there he's got a bout a million sat navs, radios, police radar scanners and jammers, Night vision (thats the cowled screen just above the center air vents and the same screen direcly infront of the co-pilot), he even has a pair of gyro-stabilised military spec binoculars for the co-pilot to use for spotting. On his cross country run he got a friend in a light aircraft to fly ahead of his route to scout for police. He was prepared to the max and he prepared to win. In his book he comes across as very scornful or annoyed with the chumps who turn up in a Lambo with a day bag and a sat nav and thats it.

Just a feature on that M5 and all its tech would be amazing.

Last edited:
Would be a really nice epic adventure, prolly like Botswana/Bolivia/USA adventures in cheap bangers.

You should read his book. Its a bit oddly written I think, but once you get into the meat its bloody riveting!

Just wanted to chip in a +1 for Alexander Roy's book, The Driver. Since the movie they shot is apparently never going to be released, the book is the next best thing, and it was quite good.

apparently that movie is 90% done, been following it for a year. Some excuse about producers deciding how the final cut is going to luck. But there is litterally only 2 or 3 people making the film so its going to take time and I think Alex Roy has bankrolled it.

It will come, im sure... but when?

m5_ultimatum.jpg

The man took it very seriously, he wasnt really in to showing off... he just wanted to win. In there he's got a bout a million sat navs, radios, police radar scanners and jammers, Night vision (thats the cowled screen just above the center air vents and the same screen direcly infront of the co-pilot), he even has a pair of gyro-stabilised military spec binoculars for the co-pilot to use for spotting. On his cross country run he got a friend in a light aircraft to fly ahead of his route to scout for police. He was prepared to the max and he prepared to win. In his book he comes across as very scornful or annoyed with the chumps who turn up in a Lambo with a day bag and a sat nav and thats it.

Just a feature on that M5 and all its tech would be amazing.

Review of toys starts at 1:25

Last edited: