TG host's wrist watches

For which of their watches, they have different prices for their quartz, russian chronograph and swiss movements.

I think you misunderstood me. For the below a grand price point, can you give some other brand suggestions to look at besides Lum-tec.

Whilst the presenters (being on big bucks contracts) certainly have ?500+ watches that most of us couldn't afford (or could but would rather pay our bills first :p) here's a brand that I reckon is close to the TG spirit (if I can call that) and that has a wide range of models for not that expensive prices, Fossil.
http://www.fossil.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...2&departmentId=213502&currentPage=0&viewAll=1

Anyone agrees, or has any other suggestions of the same kind?

Funnily enough, I believe James May has a Fossil watch, a Phillipe Starck 'Veiled' one.

I was quite surprised, because I bought one myself in the summer, and several of my more observant friends immediately made the comparison (I generally wear men's watches). And then I went to the toy fair the other weekend, and he was indeed wearing a watch just like mine (which I hastily removed before I got my book signed, because I didn't want to look like a mad fangirl... and also, it's always a bit awkward when people turn up wearing the same thing :lol: )

Last edited:
i fully believe it's like having more then one pair of shoes, you need a work shoe, a play shoe, a winter shoe, and a dress shoe. your watches should be the same. I'm not going to go to a fancey dinner with my grandparents, or even on a date to a nice restaurant wearing a digital Indiglo watch from the 90s.
just as i'm not going to wear a pair of work boots to this same restuarant.

someone said earlier that a watch and a car represent a gentleman, this couldn't be more true, even today.

things like watches are representations of yourself. there should be watches for different ocasions.

oh, and another watch you can find for about 400 to 1000 USD (i haven't checked the prices in the states...) is a Movado.... not the easiest watches to tell the time on though.

Funnily enough, I believe James May has a Fossil watch, a Phillipe Starck 'Veiled' one.

I was quite surprised, because I bought one myself in the summer, and several of my more observant friends immediately made the comparison (I generally wear men's watches). And then I went to the toy fair the other weekend, and he was indeed wearing a watch just like mine (which I hastily removed before I got my book signed, because I didn't want to look like a mad fangirl... and also, it's always a bit awkward when people turn up wearing the same thing :lol: )

It's not this one is it?http://www.fossil.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=10&storeId=32553&catalogId=20002&categoryId=215522&parent_category_rn=213502&productId=22054247&imagePath=FS4410
I too have a Fossil watch bought for cheap on Amazon, it is a women's but it's massively chunky - delicate watches look stupid on me. For work I need an easy-to-read waterproof watch with a second hand for heart/respiratory rates. I have a Lorus which has stood 2 years of abuse - knocked off by dogs, dropped, etc - and is still going strong, even if it is a bit scratched.

i fully believe it's like having more then one pair of shoes, you need a work shoe, a play shoe, a winter shoe, and a dress shoe. your watches should be the same. I'm not going to go to a fancey dinner with my grandparents, or even on a date to a nice restaurant wearing a digital Indiglo watch from the 90s.
just as i'm not going to wear a pair of work boots to this same restuarant.

someone said earlier that a watch and a car represent a gentleman, this couldn't be more true, even today.

things like watches are representations of yourself. there should be watches for different ocasions.

And there I was this morning thinking I sleepwalked, switched my computer on, went on the forum and replied on this thread.......... :?

Then I realized it was scoops' post. :D

Sport on mate, I couldn't have said it better!

And there I was this morning thinking I sleepwalked, switched my computer on, went on the forum and replied on this thread.......... :?
Then I realized it was scoops' post. :D

Sport on mate, I couldn't have said it better!

it's the only way!!!

i mean, where would Bond be without a nice watch? probably dead somewhere in 1955. Watches have saved his life any number of times!!!

Last edited:
What about this watch?

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/data.../1499863958b_muster_stahlboden_front_back.jpg

860442610Chrono_II_2009_front_back_2.jpg

Triple post?

Yikes! That's embarrassing.

I wish it had wider lugs (24mm) as I like a thicker band. Oh well. I just wonder if there are any dealers here in the US or I'll just have to resort to buying direct. Hope the exchange rate is decent :)

This will be my first "grown up" watch.

Last edited:
That watch looks really nice, and it actually has a Valjoux 7750.
Seems like a good buy and certainly cheaper than the equivalent IWC Pilot's watch.

Hmm just noticed that IWC now only offers the Ingenieur in 45mm diameter. Those bastards.
I want the watches in 42mm!

i have an 160 euro swatch.
http://img515.imageshack.**/img515/9752/sa06y10qk1.jpg

when i first got it i was enthusiastic (i only ever had a casio and a nike watch before... i guess thats ok im only 16 xD) about wearing it, but after around half a year i prefered the feel of my hand without a watch, so now it just sits in the cupboard waiting for occasions where you need to show how much money you are prepared to waste on clothes nd other things...

i guess what i wanna say is that the design of a watch speaks more of the owner's personality than the price tag does

22230462001001.gif

As said before, a watch is mans way to use jewelery, a nice watch for me is subtle and elegant which can be used with both a suit and for everyday wear, yes I do have some cheap watches, but when I walked into the store and saw the limited edition Omega Seamaster I was sold. Yes its a bit more tacky than the regular Seamaster, but I just love it and the best part is that if you have no clue about watches, it looks like some runofthemill Seiko :mrgreen:

I dont look good in an necklace or other mens jewelery, but a big fat wristwatch just suits me perfectly :)

And if I had more cash to spend on watches I would get a couple more good ones, I dont want the cheap stuff, I want preformance, style and quality.

Looking at this tread has given me some more watches to take into consideration for my next one.