TG in Radio Times

Kind of harks back to what Herr Interceptor was getting at in his recent thread and echoes what quite a few of us are feeling.

I think it's time after this autumn series that they did a Doctor Who and took a year off bar 3-4 specials and then came back with a bang in 2011. They're running out of decent ideas and with touring etc also time to produce a quality product. Plus the fact the motor industry's on its arse at present so there's precious little decent new kit for them to test.

If they went off and did separate projects and at the same time recharged their batteries I'm sure the old spark would re-ignite once they got back together. It works for all the best rock bands so why not for TG?

EDIT: And well done to the grammarless troll who sneaked in with the (always) anonymous neg rep for my considered and constructive comment about my favourite show with the following: "how 'bout you fuck off for 3 years and then watch T-gear again`? i bet itll feel better then." . To you sir/madam I say this:

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bu/buffy09/2009/08/11/motivator0faf95831d347db9cfa74b17dbe3ce9421f0d2fc.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think its that bad. True, its lost a little of its magic but its still miles ahead of so much of what is on TV in general, not just the BBC. It possibly isn't where it ought to be with regards to the levels it has reached before. On the other hand, I don't think the highs make much sense without some lows to reference them against, and remember.

I know I would miss it terribly, but I agree that the show COULD use a break. I think it'd be nothing but good, really. Maybe after this next winter series?

I feel like doing this many shows a year is sort of defeating the purpose of why BBC shows usually end up so awesome anyway, which is that they have much shorter series and runs that a lot of American shows, so they don't usually get to this point where they start to slow down and run out of ideas. Now, I don't want TG to end completely, but if it just took a break, it could hopefully get some of the Awesome back that it's been missing recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
Didn't TG go on extended hiatus following Hammond's incident, and then come back with one of the best seasons yet? (I vaguely recall such, but it's a bit fuzzy)

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea.

actually i think MWF hit the nail right on the head there. While i'm of the opinion that Top Gear doesn't need fixing, just a bit of fine tuning. I would say that a years break would do the show a world of good. Doctor Who is a good example and i'd also say Star Trek is as well, both shows that were getting stale and repetitive and in Star Trek's case, when it came back it was back at its glory highs again.
Way i see it they should give Top Gear a years break, let James go off and do another wine adventure or (fingers crossed) a follow up to his moon documentary, let Hamster carry on with his blast lab antics and wipeout adventures and finally let Jezza produce some great documentaries on the same scale as his 'greatest raid' doc. That way when they return to work at the hallowed ground of Dunsfold, they'll be able to resume the magic we all revere.
The ones who don't want Top Gear to go off the air or on a extended break (such as in MWF's neg rep shows) then they need to realise the show might carry on, but it would eventually reach a serious case of burn out and it'd only be a matter of time until Top Gear would be ended, permanently.

Last edited:
Dammit nate, Have to spread the love but I owe you. Can anyone help in the meantime?

Dammit nate, Have to spread the love but I owe you. Can anyone help in the meantime?

Mine is only 'worth' 10 but I can help :D

I'm not "worth" much either but I'll chip in. There's nothing quite like logging in to see your rep count up an entire point from a MWF blessing though, always makes my day.

pfft, no matter. i don't make insightful or comments in the hopes that i get rep. just say it how i see it and to hell with everything else. As Cap'n Picard put it, "if we're going to be damned, lets be damned for who we are."
of course if i did have issues with anything you said and was going to negrep someone, i'd at least have the balls to sign my name to it. With 6 billion people on the planet, only a idiot would believe that all those people are going to agree with everything that someone says.

actually i think MWF hit the nail right on the head there. While i'm of the opinion that Top Gear doesn't need fixing, just a bit of fine tuning. I would say that a years break would do the show a world of good. Doctor Who is a good example and i'd also say Star Trek is as well, both shows that were getting stale and repetitive and in Star Trek's case, when it came back it was back at its glory highs again.
Way i see it they should give Top Gear a years break, let James go off and do another wine adventure or (fingers crossed) a follow up to his moon documentary, let Hamster carry on with his blast lab antics and wipeout adventures and finally let Jezza produce some great documentaries on the same scale as his 'greatest raid' doc. That way when they return to work at the hallowed ground of Dunsfold, they'll be able to resume the magic we all revere.
The ones who don't want Top Gear to go off the air or on a extended break (such as in MWF's neg rep shows) then they need to realise the show might carry on, but it would eventually reach a serious case of burn out and it'd only be a matter of time until Top Gear would be ended, permanently.

As much as I don't want to agree with you and Mineworksfine, I think you are both right:(

I don't want to agree because I'm already really looking forward to the next series (which I do after each series has ended) and it would be really really hard having to wait for absolutely AGES before the next new series.

Sadly, I think you are both talking sense. Boo to the FM who gave Mineworksfine negative rep. I would give positive rep to balance it out, but I don't know how :blush:

The little +/- sign under his avatar. Unfortunately, your rep is worth exactly 0 points right now :p

^ You are quite new there, there's nothing wrong in it. It took me ages to figure rep system out :p

As much as I don't want to agree with you and Mineworksfine, I think you are both right:(

I don't want to agree because I'm already really looking forward to the next series (which I do after each series has ended) and it would be really really hard having to wait for absolutely AGES before the next new series.

Sadly, I think you are both talking sense. Boo to the FM who gave Mineworksfine negative rep. I would give positive rep to balance it out, but I don't know how :blush:

the way to see it (and i'm looking forward to seeing the next series just as much) is that if Top Gear goes on a extended break, you'd KNOW it would be coming back and when it comes back you know the wait is going to be worth it. If they keep doing a new series you'll be constantly thinking "wonder what they can possibly come up with this series."
besides even if Top Gear goes off the air for a bit, another way to see it is that it won't be like Doctor Who which is off the air for a extended amount of time, since Top Gear isn't a drama series and you can be guaranteed that at some point one of the presenters will be doing some show.

^ You are quite new there, there's nothing wrong in it. It took me ages to figure rep system out :p

I don't actually understand how it works :blush: I've been a lurker for a while before I joined, and have seen people talking about being given negative or positive rep. I'm sure it will all become clear at some point. :mrgreen: