TG on discovery channel

If we hadn't seen the original episodes, and if we weren't familiar with all the things that make TG so great, would we still notice the cuts and the lack of banter? I haven't seen an ep yet, so i honestly don't know.

Ahhh, I see, kthnx :D

I felt sick watching it. They really butchered it. The presenters seemed bored also....

I'm waiting for them to mention they've made a version for American TV and had to cut down the bits so we aren't offended. Probably make some joke about us feeling like the whole world loves us.

It was a good effort, but overall choppy and not as amazing as it should have been. But you know what struck me as a biggest compromise, the most obvious sign of corporate mangling in this show?

He said "coop"! Not the honest-to-goodness, sophisticated "cou-pay", but the Americanized, thing-you-keep-chickens-in "coop". We know that he's British and the show's British- seemed just foolish to me. I doubt adding an acute accent would make it completely unintelligible to Yanks.

oh man, that was bad. the studio segments look as if they gave a handi-cam to cousin fred (or the typical discovery cameraman). So far I've only seen one camera instead of their usual multiples with motorized robotic ones. The 30fps looks worse. So does the lack of 'gamma correction'. And you guys are right, they def arent happy to be their. just want to do the minimum to get their check and go home.
oh well, there will be millions of american who've never seen the original and will thinks its the best car show ever.
Really makes you realize how professional the BBC top gear is. They have a huge budget and world class directors.

Yes, yes, yes, it's not quite as interesting as the British version, but that's not the point. We finally have what everyone has been asking for, TG in the US. I like the Brit version better, but hell, I'll take any Top Gear I can get. That said, I'm really glad they decided to make it a permanent series (support TG and Discovery every Wednesday at 10pm).

Also, this show is not intirely spliced from other Top Gears. The episode on tonight was made just for the US, with segments taken from the British version. Notice they wiped the lap time board clean? Also, they segment with James May about the Bentley was completely new, they haven't even shown that to the British audience (and frankly I see why... it was kind of pointless). Again, doesn't matter to me. I'm glad it's in the US.

Explorerman said:
Cruzz563 said:
@Explorerman

I checked out their product site and none of the ShowCenter items are $300, they two they show are less than $100 each. Which one did you get?
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=2660&Langue_ID=7

:)

It's not a PC card it's a piece of hardware that sits on top of your TV.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pinn...sem/rpsm/oid/124389/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Hope that helps :)

Will this record stuff off the TV, which can them be transferred to your PC via USB? What's all that about some extra card the ad was talking about? I'm interested in buying something that will let me record shows and put them on my computer, but I want to make sure I've got the right one before I dish out $300.

But wait, I just found this: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Haup.../sem/rpsm/oid/99358/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Why pay $300 to record video off the TV when you can pay $100? This thing got glowing reviews, btw. I'm seriously considering buying. The only problem is getting cable from my TV to my computer, 40 feet away...

I saw it last night for the first time. You know, I agree that it's not as good as the British version, but I think that's really because on the Beeb they are a lot more "uncensored" and they're speaking to what they probably feel is a natural audience. I think the guys are a little out of their element, and they're adding the layer of having to concentrate on making points that are relevant to their new American audience. I honestly think that it will get better.

Guys, please please please send a short note to the Discovery Channel thanking them for doing this and urging them to keep this show on the air. TDC HAS to know that there is an audience for this show, they simply have to.

It's our job to let them know!

Avalon said:
Also, this show is not intirely spliced from other Top Gears. The episode on tonight was made just for the US, with segments taken from the British version. Notice they wiped the lap time board clean? Also, they segment with James May about the Bentley was completely new, they haven't even shown that to the British audience (and frankly I see why... it was kind of pointless). Again, doesn't matter to me. I'm glad it's in the US.

No, the Bentley segment isn't new...it was on the 1st episode of series 2. It was the one where they introduced James May and it aired 05/11/2003.

just got back from mexico so i havent seen the discovery ones yet, but i wouldnt expect them to enjoy making them.

a. they cant make jokes easily or well in american terms.
b. they can't make jokes about european countries since they probably assume americans dont know any of the funny customs or rules
c. they don't know american TV well, much less how to make american-style shows (sure the world gets discovery and all those channels, but the shows are always modified)

d. and of course, they cant call people from florida fat and old, and californians big and bloated. :lol:

I watched the one with the Rally and Bobsled race (one of my favorite bits). I played it on my theater at 1:00 in the morning, and damn it sounded nice. I dont have that much luxury with the computer speakers :(

but yeah, i wish they didn't wash it out that much. I noticed a lot of editing, and things i haven't seen before. Just little bits like how Jeremy mentioned about being the tallest person in the bobsled team. He stood next to Richard and said "this isn't going to work out". That part wasn't mentioned in the BBC broadcast.

overall, if you have nothing else to do, topgear on Discovery is good for you.

I don't think you want to "pass" simply because it's a little different. I promise you: it's still the best car show on American TV. Has anyone ever suffered through a car show coverage on ESPN??? Now that's something worth missing.

mike_tseng said:
did anyone record this second episode? any possibility of a torrent?

I have a copy, but its 1700MB (straight from the TiVo), and for some reason my machine won't let me alter the video correctly (to cut out commercials) or transcode it into another format. I really haven't had the time to figure out what is going on in order to fix it :-\