• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

TG presentor background

leif

Does anyone know the background of the presentors...

heres what i think...and i could be 100% wrong...but here goes

Clarkson: comes from wealthy family with a little old money...has some money of his own. (owns a Ford GT, Merc SL55)

James May: Comes from a family with some status...i.e. old money
(owns ?????? does any one know whats in his garage asside from bikes)

Richard Hammond: T.V. personality with status through television, not particularly wealthy, but well off enough to be able to import an american car
(owned 911 carrera, owns: Dodge Charger and a bunch of bikes)

Is this accurate...I would love to know more about these guys!

Re: TG presentor background

leif said:
Clarkson: comes from wealthy family with a little old money...has some money of his own. (owns a Ford GT, Merc SL55)
Why do you say that he comes from money? I mean, with all the shows and shit he does, he could easily afford those cars without having any money previously...

didnt seem to have old money when he took a look at his family tree :unsure:

And James May doesn't appear to be particuarly rich, he drives an OLD bentley and an OLD range rover if I recall.

Re: TG presentor background

leif said:

I don't think he's "old money". According to some Bio I've read his family was middle class, at beast, untill his mother started a company that made Paddington Bear toys (the first licensed manufaturer). It is my understanding that they made a comfortable living from this...

Did Clarkson attend university and earn a degree? I know he receieved an honorary PhD from Brunel University but that doesn't count.

Clarkson lives in a posh estate in Oxfordshire or Cotswolds, or something like that.

As far as I'm aware, the richest family is Hammond's. Clarkson comes from a working class background and has really done a very good job of himself to get where he is today, and May from a middle-class background, though not a fantastically wealthy one. Hammond is definately not a TV personality and was relatively unheard of before Top Gear.

andyhui01 said:
erm.... can you explain Hammond's background... would be an interestin read

Well, in one show he mentioned that he was a DJ for a local radiostation(about the button that turns all the radios in the area to hear a traffic report) and Top Gear website says he was making a motoring program for a cable TV company. Then he got his job in Top Gear. That's all I know about him...

autostream said:
you base your opinion on someone's wealth by what car they own. That's quite naive and ignorant.

How is that naive and ignorant?

If I see a middle aged man driving in a Porsche Carrera GT, the chances are he is incredibly wealthy to own a car like that. If I see a 15000 square foot mansion, I would expect to think that the owners of the house are wealthy as well.

why is it ignorant to base someones wealth on the cars they drive...you can tell alot about a person from their car...

and my assesment of Richard Hammond came because he was having to work crap jobs to afford the Charger...and has an old Porsche SC...while clarkson has a SL55...

i know people have different priorities...but these are car guys...and I would expect Car guys to spend a significant portion of their income on their cars...I know I do

JoeBlo1 said:
Did Clarkson attend university and earn a degree? I know he receieved an honorary PhD from Brunel University but that doesn't count.

Clarkson lives in a posh estate in Oxfordshire or Cotswolds, or something like that.
Clarkson didn't even graduate from highschool. He may have returned later and finished it off, but I have read that he dropped out of school at a very early age.

I wouldn't imagine he would have gone to university after doing that, but you never know. He is a very very good writer, so he must have learned how to write somewhere.

For someone with little education he is quite an outstanding writer - albeit most of his articles are comedy and almost never serious - and has done very well for himself financially.

I'm guessing Clarkson's successes can be attributed to his flamboyant personality. He's like the Steve Irwin of automobiles.

leif said:
why is it ignorant to base someones wealth on the cars they drive...you can tell alot about a person from their car...

You'd be surprised. I live close to a very rich community (home of the Running of the Bulls lamborghini event) and the crap that people drive is truly astonishing. The house may be worth 4 to 5 million, but the 8 year old Hyundai in front of it is worth $400 to $500.
People amaze me.
Seriously, buy a jag or a merc if you don't want a performance car, not a Kia or Hyundai if you got millions :lol:

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
This thread is so strange - I wasn't aware that the term "old money" is still used (I only heard it from the Titanic movie). :?
It's still quite prevalent over in England, but with our brand of capitalism it's a pretty archaic concept over in North America.

You make friends with drug dealers, autostream?

It's more of an assumption rather than a judgement if I think someone driving a $400,000 supercar is wealthy. The thought of that driver being poor does not come to mind.

If I see a man driving a decade old Toyota Camry, who knows how much he's worth? It's not the same if a man is driving an expensive Ferrari.

Besides, if you're going to buy a supercar like a Carrera GT, of course people are going to think you're rich. That's one of the reasons why you buy supercars.