TG SatNav Voices

How are you gonna make that work? You can only adept the sound files (see list above), not the moment when the TomTom says you things.

i have the voice of the guy who did KITT in "knight Rider" on garmin. he does have a 'occasional random quote' that he speaks every 15mins or so if there's no directions to give.

Is anyone seriously thinking about making a TG TomTom voice?
Cause despite being a n00b and slightly computer illiterate I'd really like to do this. I don't have a TomTom, but if I get this done, I'll buy one...eventually. :rolleyes:
I'm going to start looking through TG vids for the spoken stuff needed. Can anyone help and tell me how to record audio from a video? (I haven't done anything like this before, but I'll learn :D)

I think I'd rather have the Brian Blessed voice.

http://brianblessed.tomtom.com/index-brianblessed.php?Lid=1

[video=youtube;-JpKuYbJQK4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpKuYbJQK4[/video]

I mean, if you're going to get the voice of a large ham on your GPS (Jeremy) - why not go all the way and get that of a VERY LARGE HAM such as Blessed? :p And at least Blessed won't be directing me to put cows on top of my car, smear disgusting things in the AC intakes of my friends' cars, or set random crap on fire in a failed attempt to be funny. :p

Last edited:
Ok, Brian Blessed rocks, I had no idea Vultan the winged warrior and Caeser Augustus were the same guy.

I don't know about you guys, but if James May was giving me directions I would be very careful about following them...

I'm up for helping (even if I've since changed from my TomTom to a VW RNS510 system).

Here's a spreadsheet that anyone can edit - all you have to do is find which season, episode, and time of the suitable phrase and insert it. Then one person can go through the list, create the audio files, and go from there.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...bW1wWTZlR01oQjdhdUE&hl=en_GB&authkey=CLP-1LsN

Great idea! Although I suspect we'll need more than one audio clip to get all the phrases right. Like the ferry one that I just added; I can find JC mentioning "ferry" easily enough but to make it say "In a few moments, please take the ferry" (from Tha Bulldog's list) would require more clips.

Your prayers have been answered.... today in the Sunday Times

Clarkson will guide you home

The outspoken Top Gear presenter and Sunday Times columnist has been recruited by TomTom to provide the voice for its latest sat nav

Nick Rufford and Joseph Dunn Published: 4 September 2011

?Turn right. Turn RIGHT. You missed it! For the love of . . .!? Sat navs have always been bossy but now Jeremy Clarkson is taking it to a whole new level.
The outspoken Top Gear presenter and Sunday Times columnist has been recruited by TomTom, Europe?s biggest sat nav maker, to provide the voice for its latest gadget. The company aims to cash in on the popularity of the BBC motoring show, which is watched by more than 8m people in Britain.

Instead of the usual instruction to ?Do a U-turn where possible?, Clarkson will be telling drivers in no uncertain terms to execute a handbrake turn where safe to do so. ?It is mostly about the tone of voice I use,? said Clarkson.?There?s a tone of voice I use when ordering people to do things, so, ?I said left, left, I said left?, you know, that kind of thing. It?s not a gentle sat nav voice, put it like that.?

As well as Clarkson?s voice, the new device, which is set to be launched next month, features instructions by the Stig ? the famously mute tame racing driver from the show.
?You can put it in Stig mode, apparently, which is when nothing happens. It doesn?t speak to you at all,? said Clarkson. ?So you can either have Stig or me and personally I would use the Stig most.?

The fact that Clarkson has lent his voice to a sat nav is, in itself, something of, er, a turnaround. He mercilessly ridiculed early unreliable versions of the device. In a review of the Mini in 2005 he provoked complaints by suggesting that a German version of the car would have a sat nav system that ?only goes to Poland?. In another tirade he said: ?I still haven?t found a sat nav that knows the M40 exists. All of them insist that London and Oxford are joined by the M4.
?And why in God?s name do the controls have to be so complicated? I don?t need sites of special interest. What I do need is a huge off button, six inches across and painted DayGlo yellow.?
Recruiting Clarkson will be a popular move among the legion of Top Gear fans, but it is also a shrewd business move by TomTom and BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC.
Top Gear is by far the most lucrative earner for the corporation in terms of overseas sales, where it is watched in 170 countries. Previous spin-off products from the show include the Stig Soap on a Rope. The BBC declined to say how much the deal with TomTom was worth.

The sat nav company is also believed to have been in contact with the Top Gear co-presenters, Richard Hammond and James May, to make recordings of their own. To reflect the show?s usual tetchy banter, the three could be squabbling over who gets to guide you down the A3.
Clarkson was dismissive of the idea: ?Hammond, well that wouldn?t work because he hasn?t got the patience. James May genuinely doesn?t have a sense of direction. We were in a hotel in Brazil recently and I said good night to him in reception and came down in the morning and he was still wandering about with his suitcase because he couldn?t find his room.?

Clarkson joins a select group of celebrity sat nav artistes. Ozzy Osbourne, Snoop Dogg and Roger Moore, as well as the actor who supplies the voice of Homer Simpson, have all contributed soundtracks for TomTom. Garmin, its rival, offers Yoda, Darth and the Saracens rugby team.
Clarkson?s sat nav debut has provoked controversy. Julie Townsend, campaigns director for Brake, the road safety charity said: ?Driving is a serious business and while there?s no problem with humorous voices used by sat navs, drivers need to be making sure that they are not getting distracted.?

The way to guard against distraction would be to turn Clarkson off. If you believe a piece written by him in 2005 about a BMW?s sat nav system, that may not be so easy.
?[I decided] okay, I?ll turn the sat nav off,? he wrote.
?Well you can?t. It doesn?t matter what button you press, she continues to give her instructions over and over again until you want to bludgeon her to death with an axe.?

Last edited:
My awful attention span would not allow me to read it. Where can i get this for the Tom Tom?

My awful attention span would not allow me to read it. Where can i get this for the Tom Tom?

While it probably will not be as good as one that was made from clips taken from the show....I must have this....Now...Give me please.

TomTom%252520Topgear%252520LIVE%252520boxshot%252520TT.jpg

I'm pretty sure Garmins are rebranded Navmans