TG USA Coming to My Hometown!

d.dutton9512

Car(s)
Mazda MX-5, Porsche 944, Porsche 924S, Fiero GT
My city counsel just released this:

"A film crew will be in Griffin on Tues., 5/4 and Wed., 5/5 to film an episode of ?Top Gear?, a cable TV show. The shoot involves a sports car and a military helicopter. Please do not be alarmed at the presence of helicopters flying over the city. Scenes will be filmed at the airport and in downtown on 6th St and 4th St north of E. Taylor St. Several streets may be closed at various times from 10am to 6pm."

We're going tomorrow to check it out and try to get some pictures. Hopefully they'll be cool and let us watch and not run us off.

Cool! Get some pics!

Sweet make sure to get some pictures!

Sports car + military helicopter.... I think they're getting the hang of the TG formula already!

I wonder if they're going to just recreate the Exige review or do something new.

The Exige review was on a track... something should be different if they are using city streets.

dude. that's epic.

That sound's awesome! Good Luck in your celeb spotting! :D

Top Gear America Came to my Home Town!

Top Gear America Came to my Home Town!

So here's the photos and videos we got today. There's a lot of content so please wait to post comments for me to get it all up.

I also took great care to avoid putting the words Top Gear into the Youtube videos as I really don't want History Channel getting pissed off at me for revealing anything. In fact I'll probably take them down in a few days. I ask that no one repost them.

So as many of you know the new Top Gear America was filming a segment in my hometown of Griffin Today. The premise was a "Cat and Mouse" chase between a new Viper SRT and a Cobra Gunship. Filming took place at the Airport and then Downtown. We were there for both!!

When we got to the airport the entire crew was hanging out about 20 yards from the fence. Rutledge Wood and Tanner Faust were both there getting into the Viper and the Cobra was getting ready for takeoff:

img-1044-3520.JPG

Ovbiously their crew was bigger than this but it was small compared to the BBC version.

They did a few runs back and forth and then disappeared behind the hangers for more shots. It was spectacular watching the helicopter fly just a few feet from the ground before going straight up and turning around!

img-1046-3518.JPG

img-1054-3521.JPG

Last edited:
Now I got a few videos of the actual cuts, keep in mind they're from my phone so not brilliant but I think you'll get the idea.

[YOUTUBE]9YgrRAEpvHg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]onuxdkD-YF8[/YOUTUBE]

Then something great happened. A friend of mine knows the city planner so he came out and we got to meet Rutledge and Tanner. They are both very nice guys and quite funny!!

img-1071-3522.JPG

I also snagged this which should dispel any rumors that our version will be called "Gear" instead of "Top Gear"

img-1075-3526.JPG

Last edited:
Apparently some old cat who lives out by the airport has two Ford GT's which he volunteered for film cars. While the guy himself was an idiot his cars were very nice!!

img-1078-3523.JPG

img-1090-3525.JPG

The second picture was taken moments before he drove it over the curb it's parked next to and scratched the hell out of the front clip.

Last edited:
So then filming took a break for lunch and about an hour later it resumed downtown. We first went atop the parking deck for the courthouse and got some great flyovers from the Cobra:

I know this vid is longer but wait it out till the end for the best one:

[YOUTUBE]ZF--InL3pIk[/YOUTUBE]

This video is from them filming a chase scene down some backroads:

[YOUTUBE]ClCEIZ08wwk[/YOUTUBE]

Finally everyone gathered in a backlot where we got to spend some time talking with the guys. I feel a lot better about this show after seeing two of the personalities interact. They're very cordial and fun to be around. We spent about 45 minutes talking cars, Top Gear, local landmarks, and just general bullshitting.

Also, Tanner is much smaller in person than you would think :lol:
img-1088-3524.JPG

Well that completes my reporting guys. Like I've said, lets keep this between us though. I REALLY want this show to succeed even though it's fashionable to bash on it these days. The simple fact is that a lot of people don't realize how bad the first two series of BBC's Top Gear were, and they didn't have BBC's Top Gear these days to contend with. After watching these guys interact I think it has a lot of potential if given a fair chance. Us guys on this side of the pond need to be the supporters of this show while it finds it's legs, not the guys saying it sucks because it's not the same.

Last edited:
Great to hear. Pictures don't seem to be working though; whatever board you're linking from probably doesn't allow hotlinking or at least viewing by non-members. Looking forward to the real thing when it comes out.

They're showing fine on mine and from my phone. Let me see what I can figure out. Are the vids working? Can someone else report in on this?

Last edited:
Just posted pics/vids from the day in a new thread, enjoy!!

Ok, reloaded pics hosted from this forum. Should work for everyone now! :D