TGA Axed

Registered to share my disappointment with this announcement. But it is not a real surprise as this last season has been rather 'ehh'. I really enjoyed the first two series, but when it was moved to the new network and the new hosts arrived, it really dropped in quality. With TG:US wrapping up for the season, it will be a lonely few months waiting for TG:UK.

i actually prefer TG USA and the Car Show to TG AUS (and that's saying something)

I think the hosts really let the show down (apart from Shane Jacobson) should've had doug mulray, mark skaife and vern schuppan or something

I'm sorry to see it go, but I have to say that I did enjoy TGUS a lot more than TGAUS. This only shows how difficult is to replicate such a successful show such as TGUK even in a similar format somewhere else.

What a shame.
I really liked the first season with the original hosts. The tall guy with the moustache was a bit odd.. but I liked him anyway. They were all great characters. And hey: they are australian, they have to be odd. :D

The original TGAUS was way better than TGUS. It came very close to TGUK for me.

The new hosts... hmm... I didn't dislike them, but I felt they were somehow.. not very special... not very australian even.

I still watched TGAUS and I think I still prefered it over TGUS. But that was more due to the interesting country I think.

As bad as the show was, it was still better than a lot of car shows out there and a great way to pass the time when TG UK and US are on hiatus. Having said that, I've really enjoyed this season as IMO, the show is starting to become quite enjoyable. Definitely sad to see it go.

i feel its a real shame too. This was far better than the U.S. one

Wow, i am surprised by some of these comments. For me, the U.S show is fantastic, nearly on par with Clarkson and co now. The Aus series has been a terrible embarrassment, yes it has improved slowy since it began but still the hosts just dont compare to the US or UK hosts.
It is a shame TGAUS has to go, cos it would only have improved even more over time and would have been great to see it succeed and compete with the US and UK

Last edited:
The appeal of TGA for me was the difference in scenery and culture. Made it a lot more interesting to watch. But whether or not it was actually a good show... is kinda tough to decide. I thought there was a lot of potential there and it's a shame that the show has gotten bounced around so much, before it could really grow. I wish it would have stuck around longer to better establish itself. I hope it gets brought back by someone, sometime, and done properly.

I reckon they should have got rid of Steve and kept Warren.

I reckon they should've got rid of Freehand Productions and the name "Top Gear".

The recipe was too difficult, the chef wasn't up to the task and the audiences expectations were not met.

Am I the only one who liked Wazza from seasons 1 and 2? His cartoonist roots gave him quite an amusing character and he seemed to review cars quite well.

Anyone onto the cancelation: Is it suprising? No, Australian audiences didnt like it in its current format. Should of been axed... hmm I dunno it would of been good to give the show some consistency, when the show was trying to do its own things it often was quite amusing, but the old jokes from old top gear mostly failed. The thing is I think the people running the Au show are largely to blame, irrespective of the bad/good treatment the shows had from nine and sbs.

What I would like to see: reaquisition by sbs hopefully and a consistent season. The Star in a bog standard car should probably be axed, its never worked in the Au or US versions. Perhaps also occasionaly they could do a car review instead of a challange or god forbid, an origonal segment idea. The Au and US shows always needed 1 thing they didnt get, differentiation.

Last edited:
I wish I could set up a poll that would show what version of TG they liked and where the voter was from.

Did anyone from Oz actually like TGA ? Not from there I found it to be a bit forced or stiff at times but nowhere near the dislike I keep seeing from you Oz types. Actually enjoyed the odd bit so I just don;t get it. Not sure what was so bad. All of the TG's rehash jokes. even TGUK has redone things a few times.

Anyone?

I wish I could set up a poll that would show what version of TG they liked and where the voter was from.

Did anyone from Oz actually like TGA ? Not from there I found it to be a bit forced or stiff at times but nowhere near the dislike I keep seeing from you Oz types. Actually enjoyed the odd bit so I just don;t get it. Not sure what was so bad. All of the TG's rehash jokes. even TGUK has redone things a few times.

Anyone?

The worst thing (being a local) is the constant ads, the attempts to win a 'v8' audience and some of the groan inducing comedy. You won't see it from afar, but changing channels was the worst possible outcome for this show. Nine has money, but they also have a cut-throat commercial TV attitude. SBS (the previous broadcaster) is a mostly government funded TV station, so they don't have the 'ratings' drive.

Nine also has been playing to death old UK Top Gear episodes, now that they have the rights - it is depressing. It is hard to know what is new and old because they mix it up and.... they are just f#$%ed.

We Aussies probably don't see that with US topgear because we watch it without the ads. Also anyone on here is likely to have watched UK top gear well before it airs (ad filled) on Free to Air here.

The TGA guys just seemed to be trying too hard to be funny, genuine funny people don't have to try to be funny, they don't have to think about punchy lines, witty comebacks and snappy things to say.

However saying that, they must have felt like they had huge shoes to fill, with the guys from TG UK, as of course everyone expects them to be as good as, or better than them.

You just can't do that though, TGA needs time, several series to develop into its own blend of car culture and Australian humour. I guess with TV show budgets unless the show is an instant runaway sucess no one is going to back it for any length of time.