TGA is garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

yodigityist

The USA has destroyed yet another thing. Who are these hosts? I don't know them. and doubt they even know each other. TGA feels totally scripted and fake. The hosts are early 30s at best. They don't posses any real knowledge, have zero chemistry together and are not entertaining. Its like the history channel pulled three fat turds off the street that looked funny and put them in sports cars, just to turn a profit. So the only thing that really matters is. Is the real top gear coming back? Or is the USA stuck watching this uncreative copy cat show?

I don't know them either, and there didn't seem to be much chemistry... yet.

But it was still quite enjoyable. It's the first episode remember, at least give it a chance.

And the trolls are working their way out of the woodwork.

Gee...this totally needed a seperate thread from the actualy episode discussion thread.

"Who are these hosts? I don't know them."

One does NASCAR coverage and one is a race car driver. Granted, the other is a commedian/actor, but he knows cars.

"The hosts are early 30s at best."

WTF does that have anything to do with it?

"So the only thing that really matters is. Is the real top gear coming back?"

Why would it not? Idiot.

http://img695.imageshack.**/img695/2305/hemadl.jpg

Last edited:
Who are these hosts? I don't know them.
You probably didn't know who Clarkson, Hammond, and May were before finding out about Top Gear.
They don't posses any real knowledge, have zero chemistry together and are not entertaining. Its like the history channel pulled three fat turds off the street that looked funny and put them in sports cars, just to turn a profit.
Go watch the first 2 seasons of Top Gear under the current format. You clearly haven't.

Also,
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2010/11/22/enjoying_myself.jpg

I have been an avid fan of Top Gear since the very start. I own all 15 seasons at a great cost seeing that I live on the wrong side of the pond. I have to say that I would rather have watched paint dry last night. These guys have no chemistry whatsoever. I was not entertained in the least and it looked painful for them to read their lines. I will give them one more episode to clean up their acts, or i will just wait until early next year to watch the original. It only costs around 500 per year to watch the Wonderful BBC live with the right connections. I would rather spend the money to be honest.

Last edited:
Go watch the first 2 seasons of Top Gear under the current format. You clearly haven't.

I hear this a lot.. and in some way it is kind of true. But the thing is, (new) Top Gear UK had humble beginnings, and they managed to build it into something amazing... they walked before they could run. The problem that has always plagued Top Gear Australia is that they went straight to running - taking all the ideas that the UK program has come up with and dropping in three guys we didn't really care about. I know it's the same TG brand so they are allowed to copy ideas - but it will always feel like a pale comparison to the original. People say we shouldn't compare the two shows, but it is the same brand with the same ideas, so in my opinion, we can.

Don't get me wrong, I wish TG USA all the best - but they are up against the same problems that TG Aus has been facing the past 2 years. I don't envy them :p

Should we just create a protocol where a thread is closed if it's someone's first post, and then they immediately log off? :p

Many keep saying that but to be honest, I just did and well, they're great (well apart from the Jason dood) and certainly great by comparison. It may not have been as polished and gorgeous as it is today, but that was the season that got me hooked on TG and pretty much everything Clarkson. FWIW, all the garbage-this and crap-that, only go to show how dearly people hold the original and that copying the formula may be a monumental task at this stage, if at all possible. I want an American kick ass car show, I'm just not sure if I want Americanized "TopGear".

Many keep saying that but to be honest, I just did and well, they're great (well apart from the Jason dood) and certainly great by comparison. It may not have been as polished and gorgeous as it is today, but that was the season that got me hooked on TG and pretty much everything Clarkson. FWIW, all the garbage-this and crap-that, only go to show how dearly people hold the original and that copying the formula may be a monumental task at this stage, if at all possible. I want an American kick ass car show, I'm just not sure if I want Americanized "TopGear".

Edit out the pre-May presenter stuff and the similar bits they had May doing from those first two seasons and they still stand up pretty well to more recent stuff because it came across as being genuine opinions and enjoyment and not simply actors reading lines.

While they don't exactly need a Clarkson as such, but having somebody with a bigger, less passive personality would definitely improve things for me.

Should we just create a protocol where a thread is closed if it's someone's first post, and then they immediately log off? :p

No need, I own an automotive business with 5 employees, I am a busy man! Sorry I cannot be here 24/7 like others to argue endlessly. I made my point, some may agree, some may not. I am voicing my feelings on how every time something is copied here in the United States, we cannot get it right. Three cast changes before the show, give me the impression that the producers are crapping their pants over their decisions. I already stated that I would continue to watch the show, as long as improvements are made.

Last edited:
They might be copying stuff from UK TG just to 'get the format right' before the full might of US television power is unleashed...

Who was Richard Hammond before Top Gear premiered? IIRC reading one of his books he was pretty much a nobody (don't take this the wrong way) before he got the TG gig.

Can we please just give it some time before jumping on the "this show sucks" bandwagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.