TGA Promo - 'Coming Soon'

tone76

Car(s)
05 Honda Jazz, 95 SAAB 900S, 97 Mazda 121
Noticed during the credits of 10x09 last night that there was a promo for TGA. If it's now at the stage where SBS is running promos for TGA 'coming soon', then it can't be too far off.

I know that the timeframe mentioned here previously was after the Beijing Olympics. Those start in less than 2 weeks ... and will finish on August 24 ... so TGA could be here in as little as 4 weeks. Interesting.

I find that interesting, especially when they are just filiming the US version now with an expected air date of January and also given that Andy Willman is there overseeing it all. Does he have more confidence in the Australian version or is another producer from the BBC here to make sure that SBS do a good job.

Maybe they are going to do what the UK TG does and do the studio filming during the week before the show goes to air.

Yeah, that promo was on the end of the credits of last week's episode.

And Andy Wilman has already been down here to help with TGA.

In case there is anything to be gained from it, a screenshot of it:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/07/29/snapshot20080729165635_000.jpg
Does he have more confidence in the Australian version or is another producer from the BBC here to make sure that SBS do a good job.
I think the time difference has a few reasons, some of which is how SBS picked the presenters, they picked them as a three rather than putting them together like in the US version, they may already have a more natural on-air relationship, obviously no where near the original but it may help.

Secondly, SBS has much less to lose, they will leave Top Gear Australia on for many seasons regardless of how it rates. If Top Gear US doesn't rate in its first ep on NBC it won't last long, they just can't afford to leave it in prime time. SBS can stick with it and have the time to build an audience.

Last edited:
I do like the ad for Top Gear mag....a play on an ad that runs in Sydney to "discourage" hoons.

That's not the ad I saw.

It had a little intro for each of them - hates anything slow, owns a fire engine etc. They were in a car, trying very hard to look comfortable and natural.

Thanks for the link Eddysdaman. Episode one and Charlie is live via satellite - I'm not impressed. So much for being an Australian show. I'm seriously cheesed off. I know I should wait and see how it all works but.....:mad:

Thanks for the link Eddysdaman. Episode one and Charlie is live via satellite - I'm not impressed. So much for being an Australian show. I'm seriously cheesed off. I know I should wait and see how it all works but.....:mad:
That looks like it is from the press gathering thing when the hosts were announced rather than from episode one.

There was another promo that I saw which was different to all the others. I only caught like the last few seconds of it, but it was the boys inside a car and Charlie said "I forgot my lines" or something like that. And then it said Top Gear Australia Coming Soon or something.

I didn't manage to record the whole ad so don't have a video (I'm watching the Olympics on SBS and they have shown it 3 times already so eventually I'll manage to get it), but:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/08/08/snapshot20080809131752_000.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/08/08/snapshot20080809131824.jpg
The dialogue from this is basically the two in the front (Warren and Steve) arguing about a sat nav thing, followed by Charlie yelling at them and telling the viewers about TG Australia coming 'as soon as they can get out of the car park).

I'm probably looking too much into it, but all the vehicles have Victorian plates on. I'd say it just shows they are doing some filming down here as there are some great roads around Melbourne, but I'm sure there are some conspiracy theories that could be made. Whatever the reason I hope they aren't doing a comparison of those 3 cars :).

edit:
And as I predicted it screened again and I managed to record it:
[YOUTUBE]Xei9DTTcocY[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I'm really nervous about this show.. and I guess the US version, but I care less about that.

It has the chance to be something really good, really special. I just hope they don't balls it up.

As somebody said previously though, at least screening on SBS gives it time to build an audience. It's not like they have a massive viewer figure at the best of times, usually only a single digit percentage of the TV audience (if that).

But kudos to them for trying.

They don't look very relaxed or natural in that commercial.