TGA Promo - 'Coming Soon'

Might have to have a glass of wine or two to watch the first show to get over my nerves for them. In the words of a dear friend they look like BOFs - Boring Old F_rts

As opposed to Clarkson and May? :rolleyes:

It'll be great.
An Australian version of an eniglsh show. I can't see how it wont work?

A quick review of Top Gear series 1 episode 1, shows even the original had a kinda wobbly start.

Although I not sure how aussie this TGA will be if they are going to spend their time suite-clad surrounded by leather upholstery.
If they don't pop a bonnet on the first episode I'll turn my back on it as a sham & outa touch with the archityple Australian motorist.

I don't see any point in critiquing those 15-seconds of a TV promo. You can't make conclusions about the show based on that!

Thanks for posting, whitehornmatt :thumbup:

I not sure how aussie this TGA will be if they are going to spend their time suite-clad surrounded by leather upholstery.
If they don't pop a bonnet on the first episode I'll turn my back on it as a sham & outa touch with the archityple Australian motorist.

Most Australian motorists drive either a Commodore or a Corolla (the two biggest selling cars in the country) and has never changed a tyre.:rolleyes:

"Tahhnaight awn tawp geah ohhstralia, wee test thah hawlden cawmadore and tha fawd falcawn on ah test track!"

But seriously, I really want to see their interpretation of Top Gear compared to the American version. Do they have a reasonably priced car yet or a test track?

After seeing these promos, I'm wondering if the people at Freehand have actually ever seen an episode of Top Gear... Surely after all the months of secrecy, and the huge budget (for an Aussie show), they could have done better than three stiff, wooden guys in a car, sounding like they are reading lines.

For God's sake, take the hosts and a camera crew down to the pub, shoot a few hours of conversation, and edit it into something fun and interesting. I'll buy the beer! Seriously! "How Hard Can It Be???"

"Tahhnaight awn tawp geah ohhstralia, wee test thah hawlden cawmadore and tha fawd falcawn on ah test track!"

But seriously, I really want to see their interpretation of Top Gear compared to the American version. Do they have a reasonably priced car yet or a test track?

No word yet on what car they are using but they've been filming at Camden Airport in Sydney's west.

Oh, and I've lived in Australia my whole life without ever hearing anybody who sounds anything like that.:rolleyes:

No word yet on what car they are using but they've been filming at Camden Airport in Sydney's west.:

Bold, fearless prediction: The Reasonably Priced Car for TGA will be a Proton.

If TG and TG USA have taught us anything, it?s that the RPC has to be from a less established marque. With TG, it was the Suzuki Liana, then the Chevrolet/Daewoo Lacetti (well, Chevrolet is a largely unknown brand in the UK ...). With TG USA it was the Kia Rio.

I can?t see the Holden Viva getting the gig here in Australia as it?s got the wrong badge. I know it?s the same car as a Daewoo Lacetti, but I get the impression that TGA will want to be as neutral in their RPC choice as possible. As for the Rio ? sadly, it?s far too prolific in Australia to be a real outsider.

An RPC needs to be reasonably priced, and very obscure yet also very ordinary ? and the manufacturer needs to be pretty desperate to get any sort of media exposure for their vehicles. The tradition of sourcing RPCs from the Pacific Rim should continue as well. Hence, IMHO, something like the Proton Persona would be a walk-up starter as TGA?s RPC.

Of course, I?m probably wrong. :p

Last edited:
After seeing these promos, I'm wondering if the people at Freehand have actually ever seen an episode of Top Gear... Surely after all the months of secrecy, and the huge budget (for an Aussie show), they could have done better than three stiff, wooden guys in a car, sounding like they are reading lines.

For God's sake, take the hosts and a camera crew down to the pub, shoot a few hours of conversation, and edit it into something fun and interesting. I'll buy the beer! Seriously! "How Hard Can It Be???"
As I said before - I don't think theres much to be gained from analysing 15-seconds of TV advert.

I do agree that they looked stiff and sounded like they are reading lines but its far too early to be passing judgement. They haven't even filmed an episode yet!

And Tone - I don't think the Viva is reasonably priced! I think its OVERPRICED!! Stupid, unsafe terrible terrible POS that car is :thumbsdown:

Last edited:

Eh! said with a Canadian accent not a Kiwi accent :lol::lol::lol:

I don't think the Viva is reasonably priced! I think its OVERPRICED!! Stupid, unsafe terrible terrible POS that car is :thumbsdown:

Which is another reason why it probably won't be TGA's RPC ...

Which is another reason why it probably won't be TGA's RPC ...
My mistake. I didn't realise you were speaking against it...I just saw "Holden Viva" and wanted to pounce :lol:

Remember those stupid commercials for it? :rolleyes:

My mistake. I didn't realise you were speaking against it...I just saw "Holden Viva" and wanted to pounce :lol:

Remember those stupid commercials for it? :rolleyes:

You just know that the copywriters were scratching for something decent to say about the car when they came up with the line about 23 storage spaces. :rolleyes:

Some would argue that the Daewoo Barina is worse, but I'd argue that is isn't ... after all, there's less of it to hate when compared to the Viva or Epica ... :sick:

The Kalos based Barina is much worse. Its 2-star safety rating is the first time in ANCAP history that the new model has been rated less safe that the model it is replacing.

Well, lets face it. There can never be another Richard, James and Jeremy, so we've got to accept it and either watch it or don't. I'm sure we're all going to give it a go - it remains to be seen if we're going to be regular viewers.

Booot we've got to give it a chance, even if it might not be as good as Top Gear eh? Its aboot time we have Top Gear all year round, eh? I think they should use a Suzuki Swift for their RPC.