TGA Promo - 'Coming Soon'

Booot we've got to give it a chance, even if it might not be as good as Top Gear eh? Its aboot time we have Top Gear all year round, eh? I think they should use a Suzuki Swift for their RPC.

This is Top Gear Australia not Top Gear Canada :p

There is a new Ad on SBS. Its the 3 guys in a car arguing which way to go, then they zoom out and they are in a Volvo 4wd in a mutli-level carpack.

There is a new Ad on SBS. Its the 3 guys in a car arguing which way to go, then they zoom out and they are in a Volvo 4wd in a mutli-level carpack.

That's the ad we're talking about. I thought the car they were in was a range rover.

A new version of the TGA ad I saw recently on SBS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5X23EhsMng&feature=related[/youtube]

Same cars, same carpark. Another promo to get us ready :)

I don't see any point in critiquing those 15-seconds of a TV promo. You can't make conclusions about the show based on that!

I do. The point of a promo is to set you up in a mindset to say 'hey, I want to watch that!' I will, but if it's anything like the promo, the cringing has already set in.

Charlie Cox should know better than to be staring at the dashboard while he phones in those lines. So if the producers are going to let him get away with that crap, while he wishes he was in the UK commentating F1 instead, then the hope is evaporating. The creativity of the promo is approximately nil and clearly thrown together in approx. five minutes.

Given the controversy surrounding the selection process, it does seem we are being taken for a ride...sadly...

Most Australian motorists drive either a Commodore or a Corolla (the two biggest selling cars in the country) and has never changed a tyre.:rolleyes:
Oi, I object to that stereotype! I may have owned both a Corolla AND Commodore at one stage, but I've changed plenty of tyres. On my go-kart.

After seeing these promos, I'm wondering if the people at Freehand have actually ever seen an episode of Top Gear... Surely after all the months of secrecy, and the huge budget (for an Aussie show), they could have done better than three stiff, wooden guys in a car, sounding like they are reading lines.
To be honest, my expectations for the first season of TGA are low-to-middling. 2 of the 3 are TV novices and the Freehand have never made a car show before. Still, hopefully they'll be able to carry it through and just like TGUK, they should go from strength to strength.

^ Just because the Commodore is the highest selling vehicle doesn't mean 'most' (which implies a majority) of us drive them. In 2007 637,019 passenger cars were sold, of those 57,307 were Commodores, 47,792 were Corollas - meaning most of the cars sold last year weren't Commodores or Corollas.

Source One
Source One

Most of us drive cars other than Commodores or Corollas.

Last edited:
Its not a stereotype Khaki, the highest selling car in Australia is the Commodore with the Corolla a close second.

Haha yeah I was only kidding, it just so happens that I'm a perfect example of that stereotype :D

To be honest, my expectations for the first season of TGA are low-to-middling. 2 of the 3 are TV novices and the Freehand have never made a car show before. Still, hopefully they'll be able to carry it through and just like TGUK, they should go from strength to strength.

OK, I have to weigh in here. My big problem -- aside from the fact that a Pom is likely to anchor the whole thing -- is with the choice of Warren Brown. Brown presents well, has TV experience under his belt (the Peking to Paris series and that political chat show he did the doodles for) but he loves old bangers. The *instant* TGAU puts an old banger on the screen with Brown gushing about it, I'm switching off. To me, he's just the wrong choice of presenters based on where his motoring loyalties lie -- well in the past.
Pizzati should be interesting. Saw him at the Saab Turbo X turnout; he was pretty handy on the skid pan and slalom. Wonder how he looks in a white race suit?

The *instant* TGAU puts an old banger on the screen with Brown gushing about it, I'm switching off.

So I guess you turned off the TV on Monday night when James May started banging on about his old Bentley, then? :rolleyes:

There's more to Top Gear than seeing a middle aged bloke doing donuts in the most expensive supercars they can get their hands on, you know. For what it's worth, some of my favourite bits from TG Series 2 and 3 were the retrospective pieces on older cars, such as the Bentley S2. I also thought that Crock or Classic was a great idea that deserved much better, but I digress.

For what it's worth, Warren is the presenter I have the highest hopes for. I'm not expecting much from Charlie or Steve, although I do acknowledge that Steve is going to be a surprise packet and I look forward to seeing how he turns out.

So I guess you turned off the TV on Monday night when James May started banging on about his old Bentley, then? :rolleyes:

No, I'm talking the *old* bangers ...
I'm as keen as anyone else to see a Toyota 2000GT or an early quattro put through its paces. Heck, I'd buy a Rolls Corniche soft-top tomorrow if I had the means to both buy it and keep it on the road.
The spectrum of diff ratios for a 1936 40HP wood-spoked wheel Riley just doesn't interest me in the same way.

No, I'm talking the *old* bangers ...
The spectrum of diff ratios for a 1936 40HP wood-spoked wheel Riley just doesn't interest me in the same way.

Ah, you mean cars that are so old, the only way to light the back wheels up involves the use of matches. Fair call.

That said, TG have been near really old cars once or twice before and it turned out quite well. Just because Warren likes vintage cars doesn't necessarily mean that the Reasonably Priced Car for TGA will be an Austin Seven. Captain Slow doesn't keep banging on about light aircraft every week now does he? ;)

Just saw a new promo saying "The wait is almost over" The snippets of clips I saw was mostly done in the bush, or on the Test Track or stuff with the 4wds they featured in Top Gear Aus Mag. Did anyone else saw that?