TGA Ratings

Let's not try & rewrite history - it didn't meet expectations, but it recovered enough to get another shot.

Yep... I'd say that's an accurate assessment. Let's hope that there's a bit of solid "stock taking" as a result too. The show should ? and could ? be better, but it's going to require that they don't just blunder on with more of the same.
A bit of host tweaking, story tweaking, humour tweaking, script tweaking and general vibe tweaking could turn the show from a disappointment into the proper hit they'd hoped for.

Looking at those ratings, it seems a lot of people took a look at the first ep, and then realized the show was rubbish and never tuned back in again.

^ I don't live Australia so I obviously didn't "tune" in, but that's about how it went for me anyway... gave the show 3 episodes and dumped it afterwards.

^ I don't live Australia so I obviously didn't "tune" in, but that's about how it went for me anyway... gave the show 3 episodes and dumped it afterwards.

I did the reverse, checked out clips on YT, decided it was crap and was not wothy of my bandwidth. Then there was a episode I liked the sound off and downloaded and watched. Glad I did actully episode was ok, so I downloaded the next gradually improved over episode. Got a lot of tweeking and tuneing as bolly said, but on the whole what I watched was pretty good.

[02x01] - 689,000

[02x03] - 608,000

I just don't understand what is going on here. Just about everyone thinks series 2 is a lot better than series 1, yet 608,000 is one of the lowest ratings results the show has ever had.

I've registered just to point out why i believe many ppl like me and my friends are not watching season 2 of TGA any more.

I never watched all but the first few ep of s1 but did tune in again for s2 hoping things would get better, or at least be half watchable. Unfortunately i still don't think the presenters or the shows content are good enough. I have many other criticisms but i could write an essay on why i don't like TGA.

It sad to say this, as i believe in the right ppls hands TGA could be a good show, but right now i'd prefer it if it would just end.

Viewers like me have realised that the only way we can make the show and SBS realise that this is not the TGA we want is to stop watching. U get the general idea of ppls disatisfaction with the show with the declining viewing numbers and lack of discussion surrounding it in the forums.

I've registered just to point out why i believe many ppl like me and my friends are not watching season 2 of TGA any more.

I never watched all but the first few ep of s1 but did tune in again for s2 hoping things would get better, or at least be half watchable. Unfortunately i still don't think the presenters or the shows content are good enough. I have many other criticisms but i could write an essay on why i don't like TGA.

It sad to say this, as i believe in the right ppls hands TGA could be a good show, but right now i'd prefer it if it would just end.

Viewers like me have realised that the only way we can make the show and SBS realise that this is not the TGA we want is to stop watching. U get the general idea of ppls disatisfaction with the show with the declining viewing numbers and lack of discussion surrounding it in the forums.

thankyou for the comment and now you can go back to your not want to watch aussie top gear.

thankyou for the comment and now you can go back to your not want to watch aussie top gear.

+1

I think it's as simple as this: you CAN"T call yourself a true petrol and not watch TGA. Yes, it's not as evolved as TGUK. Yes, it's creaky sometimes but I like the idea of getting in on the ground floor with something and watching it grow. It needs help (sometimes alot) but most of us can see the potential in it and this is the perfect place for discussing how to actually improve it rather than sh*t all over it.

So support it, or go watch Glenn Ridge (or whoever) drive around a winery.

Simple.

I just don't understand what is going on here. Just about everyone thinks series 2 is a lot better than series 1, yet 608,000 is one of the lowest ratings results the show has ever had.
I think that basically is one peoplemeter not watching the show. It is still the top rating show on SBS consistently, and I'd imagine that the cost of Season 1 was mostly due to the initial set up, SBS will be making back money the more seasons they do.

I tried to get my mum to watch an episode of TGA S2 and she just hated it, despite being a big fan of the original. Basically I think of the extra 300,000 viewers the UK version gets as the impact of Clarkson and Hammond. SBS are showing two shows this weekend, one was the who do you think you are episode with Clarkson and another was a series Hammond is doing (can't remember the specifics now). I bet they will rate well for the big name factors.

When you look at what TGA is, for SBS it is a good figure, I think they should be genuinely happy with it. For them to get 2/3 of the ratings of the best car show in the world, it is something to be proud about. I'm sure Fifth Gear's producers would be happy if they got 2/3 of what TG rates, and I can't imagine TGA costing much more than FG to make.

^ I'm sure TGA costs much less than Fifth Gear to make ... excluding the franchising fee.

[02x04] - 595,000

This isn't making any sense to me at all.

Someone needs to tell these people "Come back! the show's better now!"

edit: but this is SBS. They don't expect to have any ratings wins because everyone else wins them. Their highest rating show is TGUK and half of their content is either Foreign News, Docos, Low Budget Australian Made Entertainment shows like Rockwiz, one too many historical docos etc. etc. and TG either UK or Aus. So to be honest, I think we're safe

Last edited:
[02x04] - 595,000

This isn't making any sense to me at all.

It's more than likely Masterchef Australia.

That's taking an absolute dump on the ratings, and because it starts at 7pm and goes through until halfway through TGA, people would just not worry about it then.

It's more than likely Masterchef Australia.

... which is why I love living in Adelaide. I can find out who gets eliminated before 7:30 local time, and spoil the last half hour for the Mrs. Then she has no choice but to let me watch TGA ... :p

... which is why I love living in Adelaide. I can find out who gets eliminated before 7:30 local time, and spoil the last half hour for the Mrs. Then she has no choice but to let me watch TGA ... :p

Or you could simply get a second TV rather than pissing off your wife every week.:rolleyes: