TGA Ratings

Thats what I was getting at but I was trying to be a little more discreet.

[02x04] - 595,000

This isn't making any sense to me at all.

Quite simply - You only get one chance at a first impression.

They blew it in Season One. The show now has to be exponentially better to even regain the lost ground. And the challenges simply aren't good enough to do that.

Fact.

we simply can't have UK style top gear here.
we have a lack in the variety of cars. honestly, how often do you want to watch a show sporting a toyota or hyundai? we want to see cars that we dont generally see everyday..mainly the 'brands' in motorshows.
our speed limits are so restrictive there would be no point in having a 'race', just like the way Steve had a lamborghini but had to drive it at the speed limit (60km/h) on a road towards melbourne, while the other two took a boat down to the destination. it just doesn't work here and it makes me so upset to admit that but its true. i would love to be proud of top gear australia, but our roads, rules and cars just aren't up to scratch.

Actually there is a wider variety of cars sold in Australia than there is in the UK.

Dead right. We seem to think that everything is better O.S (very Aussie thing I suppose), but in fact we probably have the most diverse car market in the world. We get all the european cars that are on sale there plus the asian stuff that the europeans and americans don't get. Not to mention our own local cars.

Actually there is a wider variety of cars sold in Australia than there is in the UK.

but how many of these cars do you actually see being driven on the street?
of course you can find every car dealership in the world in our country. if you can afford it, you can buy it. but what you will see being driven is mostly ford, holden, toyota. i'm not saying this is bad, but you can't compare european motors to the ones in abundance here. its just one of the reasons why i think top gear doesnt really work here.
the most pressing reason is our speed limits.

Damn still getting smashed.

There have been two good episodes now so hopefully the people will start watching next week and then hopefully that is great otherwise this show is sadly almost dead if viewing figures dont go back up. Although maybe SBS still thinks it will be worth at least another series. I hope so because it is starting to get better and better.

Considering Masterchef got something like 1.8 Million up against it, and both Seven and Nine broke the Million, for SBS to keep the figures they got shows that there is a good consistent audience for the show.

That said they should think of doing an encore screening of the episodes in another timeslot.

Monday 7:30 is a horror time slot as the other channels bring out their big gun programming. Maybe SBS should conisder a moving Top Gear to Tuesday 7:30pm instead.

Monday 7:30 is a horror time slot as the other channels bring out their big gun programming. Maybe SBS should conisder a moving Top Gear to Tuesday 7:30pm instead.

TG UK does okay in the time slot. The problem is that no-one is giving TGA a second chance. They had their chance.

Having said that, maybe a weekend afternoon slot up against some sport would be an interesting experiment. But I think it's time to face the reality, the show is a well-cooked turd and Aussie audiences know it.

:(

It occurs to me that last year TGA was on during the football off-season. This series is on when the NRL's monday night football is on pay TV.

Is there an AFL match on monday nights too?

Last edited:
It occurs to me that last year TGA was on during the football off-season. This series is on when the NRL's monday night football is on pay TV.

Huh? Football off-season even though it is still being played?

AFL doesnt have Monday night games except for Queens Birthday Weekend and if ANZAC day falls on a Monday.

I dont think Monday night NRL would effect TGA ratings too much.

Huh? Football off-season even though it is still being played?

Series one aired in October last year, after the football seasons were over.

I dont think Monday night NRL would effect TGA ratings too much.

Really? You don't think that the most popular sport in the first and third most populous states (which combined comprise 52% of Australia's population) being played live on Foxtel at the exact time that TopGear Australia airs could effect the ratings?:blink:

Series one aired in October last year, after the football seasons were over.

Ah yes.

Really? You don't think that the most popular sport in the first and third most populous states (which combined comprise 52% of Australia's population) being played live on Foxtel at the exact time that TopGear Australia airs could effect the ratings?:blink:

Not really because how much of the population actually have FOXTEL or equivalent compared to FTA? Only about 350,000 watch Monday night football and that depends on who is playing. If it was AFL on FTA then I would expect the ratings to effect TGA but it being NRL and on PayTV then I dont think that a few hillbillies would do too much damage.

AFL outrates NRL most of the time depending on who is playing so that would be the worry for TGA.

Almost everyone I know has pay TV. Also, this week's game was Dragons vs Titans. That is one NSW team and one Qld team, including the current competition leaders.

They experimented with one a few weeks back, St Kilda flogged Collingwood, so it was an unqualified success.:lol: Not sure if it was FTA or Foxtel.

They're experimenting with Thursday nights a few times this year too - they're trying to work out where the extra match will fit when they go to 18 teams in 2012 (if they do).

Having said all that, I don't think the NRL is having much (any?) impact on TGA's ratings. Series 1 simply put a lot of people off. Discussed it again with my father-in-law the other day - he pulled out midway through S1 & hasn't given it another watch.

I think they need some S2 re-runs at a completely different timeslot prior to S3. In fact, to break the perception that TGA is replacing TGUK (we know it's not, but that's really the perception out there), I think they need to move TGA away from its timeslot next series so that it has a standalone image.