TG's upcoming American special

Status
Not open for further replies.

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
i notice alot of people are getting abit shouty about this in the pre-ep forum.
complaints about jezza's american bashing and so on.

i think really the non-british viewers here need reminding of a few things

1) you dont take JC seriously, if you do you are daft.

2) most of us here are car enthusiasts and know the real score about american cars anyway.

3) the show, is aimed at british people, its funded by a british organisation, who gets most of its money from the british people, its directed by british people and is present by 3 fiercely patriotic english blokes to a british audience.

over zealous bashing of other countries provides a cheap laugh for us at the expense of everyone else.

JC will even bash us brits too, but we seem to have that ability to laugh at ourselves instead of getting offended (though that is disappearing)

so in essence its not really aimed at the non brits, and the only people who have any right to complain about it are the british.

im not saying you cant watch it, you can watch what ever you want. just remember the origins of the show and who its aimed at and take all "piss takes" with a pinch of salt and have a laugh, because thats what its about....having a good laugh for an hour, being entertained for an hour.

for alot of people, torrents are the only way to get their TG fix. so essentially your getting it for nothing, if you didnt pay for it you cant complain.

its a good job they found asbestos in our office last week, i can go fashion me an asbestos suit to protect me from the inevitable flames.

If it makes you feel angry as an American, watch some top gear reviews of Rovers and you can get your own back laughing.

If it makes you feel angry as an American, watch some top gear reviews of Rovers and you can get your own back laughing.

exactly

we take the piss out of our selves....and its funny.

Saying your nation has made a terrible car like the Rover is one thing; saying another nation is full of ignorant fat people is another.

Clarkson does not "take the piss out of" the Brits.

Er if you come from East Anglia (Norwich and the credit card in the cash drawer) or Birmingham (All communists) you may care to differ.

Er if you come from East Anglia (Norwich and the credit card in the cash drawer) or Birmingham (All communists) you may care to differ.

Not to mention all the "trade unionists", orange people selling chips on blackpool beach, everyone from Essex being boy racers, everyone in chester wanting 30" chrome wheels etc..

Not again.....I think that the major issue here is NOT the fact that Jezza takes such a hard stance towards USA. Many, many american users here have admitted that they agree just about everything Clarkson says. It is his style, the way he does it is what upsets people, me included and I am not a brit, nor an american.

Because he is not fair in any way, it's just not beliavable. His rants about americans being fat and all is quite true and again admitted by many forum users. TGTBTU DVD was all about unfair, really, REALLY biased bullshit that had nothing to do with reviewing and comparing cars. I have nothing against this America bashing, it is truely hilarious, BUT only when it is done in boyish, humorous way, like Jeremy's american accent or him ripping on the build quality in every GM product. However when it is just plain evilminded, sadistic and mean trashing, with no actual point whatsoever, that is just stupid and irritating. Everyone who has ever been bullied at school will understadn exactly what I'm on about.

I really think, that everyone who is trying to somehow defend Clarkson bashing is completely ignoring the reality, the britishness of the program is no defense foe being a total twat and a moron about other countries. And yes, he does gives hard time to some british things, but that limits to politicians, ecomentalists and some carmakers that are just bad, like MG and others. It is to be expected and it is also funny because it is the truth. Clarkson's attitude towards the new continent is so badly distorted and hateful, it just can't be funny anymore, because you know he is actually trying to be so damn hating. If it would be real and genuine, like it is when he takes the piss on the brits, then it could be and is fun and entertaining.

im really not saying dont be offended or insulted. i dont care about that.

just dont take it too seriously and dont complain about it is all. especially if you get it for nothing in the first place.

and if you have ever read some of his books, he has some rather unsavoury things to say about norfolk and the people there, birmingham and its people, etc.... he does do it

I can't see how anyone can be offended by Clarkson. His reasoned and thoroughly explained opinion can change in the span of the same segment. I love it when he bashes the U.S. (among other countries) - and I live here. It all comes off fairly tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps I'm just a sucker for the abuse.

That said, his anti-ecomentalist diatribes can get a bit boring. No need to go to the opposite extreme to combat a bunch of uninformed enviromental idiots.

Basically, it's just a bit of fun, so enjoy it!

I don't get why other countries get so pissed off when made fun of, I don't mind, in fact I rather like it when people make fun of us crazy Brits.

From a Fat American, From the Middle of the USA...

I value Everything Clarkson Says. A majority of America IS fat, and our cars...
well, all i got to say is Quality isnt on the top of any list anywhere!!! I own a Chevy Cavalier.. It Rattles, squeeks, all make of cheap plastics, and heavy metals!

I love Top gear, I love what it stands for. I am a gear head!
And i think on the topic of America, Clarkson over exadurate everything just a bit, why not America too, And the Germans, and the French, and yeah, even UK.

I think Americans as a whole think their poop dont stink! We have this whole Ego thing going.

My .02!

From a Fat American, From the Middle of the USA...

I value Everything Clarkson Says. A majority of America IS fat, and our cars...
well, all i got to say is Quality isnt on the top of any list anywhere!!! I own a Chevy Cavalier.. It Rattles, squeeks, all make of cheap plastics, and heavy metals!

I love Top gear, I love what it stands for. I am a gear head!
And i think on the topic of America, Clarkson over exadurate everything just a bit, why not America too, And the Germans, and the French, and yeah, even UK.

I think Americans as a whole think their poop dont stink! We have this whole Ego thing going.

My .02!

I agree, I love watching TG. I laugh right along with all the American jokes, realizing that there is some truth in everything JC says. I am comfortable enough with where I am and what I know about American cars to pick through the exaggerations and find the humor, which I love. Otherwise I WOULDN'T WATCH IT!

I'm about 80% with Clarkson. The other 20% is him not getting the culture here and why cars are the way they are (anyone ever mention price to him and how cheap cars are here?) and other things like that.

But yes, part of it is just playing up to it for rating and such.

It's not sadistic or mean-hearted. Anyone who watches a lot of British TV will see that everyone bashes Americans. It's what you get for being the most powerful country in the world. He does have a go at the British a lot, as a whole, and parts of it. I remember an artical not long ago where he was basically saying the entire North of England was some dark backwards place that no sane person would want to live in. You just have to take what he says as a joke because that is what it is.

Hey, I don't mind you redcoats taking the piss out of us from time to time. We can always agree that no matter what happens.. at least neither of our nations is France.

Question to Americans who are upset that they bash on America too much:

Why the hell are you watching if you hate the fact that they bash on America so much?

The Top Gear program is in my opinion the best automotive show ever, which I find kind of ironic because it hails from a nation that can?t build descent cars themselves. So maybe it would be more appropriate when ever possible to drive the cars they test from the back seat.

I think Clarkson is a hoot, he is right about the burgers eating fatties here, but I don't think I would be throwing stones from the living room of his glass house if I were a fungus eating bald headed bloke with bad teeth.

See we Americans "Yanks" have a heck of a sense of humor, so the disclaimer post was totally unnecessary.:wink:

Question to Americans who are upset that they bash on America too much:

Why the hell are you watching if you hate the fact that they bash on America so much?

cos there's only about 5 decent shows on american TV (house, scrubs, the office, family guy, simpsons)

Clarkson often exhagarate something just to make the show funny, a good example is that in 8x05 James complained about the radiator grill on the audi in the news, and got mocked by jeremy (uma thurmans hands thing) and in the next episode (8x06 granted that was a few weeks apart) Clarkson didn't like the radiator grill of the mazda and then james was like "you're saying you're not gonna have the best car here because you don't like the radiator grill" and this time jeremy equals a bad radiatorgrill to a great woman having a beard. So alot of the time they argue just for arguings sake to make a point, not because what they are saying is valid or not, but to make things interesting they polarize themselves in oppinions (usualy).

The Top Gear program is in my opinion the best automotive show ever, which I find kind of ironic because it hails from a nation that can?t build descent cars themselves

Our car industry is too busy tied up in motorsport, which we happen to be the best in the world at.

Status
Not open for further replies.