TGT is a fail and here's why

stecube

Car(s)
Golf Mk7
a.) TGT doesn't have a proper "home", namely a real track for car reviews. The Eboladrome is rubbish: too narrow, not enough open space for right camera angles and lame corners.

b.) TGT doesn't have any purpose in what it does, other than play repetitive acts. They film in many countries, but where's the information we get? They could be anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make any difference at all. All they do is drive somewhere for no reason at all.

c.) TGT doesn't know what it really wants to be. It looks like the cars are not important anymore, because they basically stopped telling us how it feels driving them. "I love the Alfa 4C because... just look at it". Really? That's it??? And no word on how the Zenon feels?

d.) TGT misses all the camaraderie that made CHM Top Gear great. They just act through their script, seemingly uninterested in what they are doing.

e.) TGT has a stupid tent which isn't needed at all. Not a single car news, just some tedious Celebrity Brain Crash and a couple of regional jokes. Get rid of the tent. It was fine when you had a track and invited celebrities, but since you don't have any of that anymore, it's time to move forward.

f.) TGT is so boring it's difficult to even remember what films they've shown in the first 4 episodes...

Last edited:
I reaaaally do with they had local content for where they shoot the tent shots. It's still fine to have grand epic adventures, but they seem to be the theme of the show. I almost wish they showed those films from some "home base" set.

a.) TGT doesn't have a proper "home", namely a real track for car reviews. The Eboladrome is rubbish: too narrow, not enough open space for right camera angles and lame corners.

b.) TGT doesn't have any purpose in what it does, other than play repetitive acts. They film in many countries, but where's the information we get? They could be anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make any difference at all. All they do is drive somewhere for no reason at all.

c.) TGT doesn't know what it really wants to be. It looks like the cars are not important anymore, because they basically stopped telling us how it feels driving them. "I love the Alfa 4C because... just look at it". Really? That's it??? And no word on how the Zenon feels?

d.) TGT misses all the camaraderie that made CHM Top Gear great. They just act through their script, seemingly uninterested in what they are doing.

e.) TGT has a stupid tent which isn't needed at all. Not a single car news, just some tedious Celebrity Brain Crash and a couple of regional jokes. Get rid of the tent. It was fine when you had a track and invited celebrities, but since you don't have any of that anymore, it's time to move forward.

f.) TGT is so boring it's difficult to even remember what films they've shown in the first 4 episodes...

The feel is bad. Episode 1 was okay, as it felt that it could go on to get better. By episode 3, I thought that they might be moving in the right direction, but that they were still finding their footing. After episode 5 the writing is on the wall, and I won't be watching more episodes to give it more of a chance. They've had more strikes than you get playing American softball, and I'm not about to waste more of my time watching to give them another one.

Regarding points a,b,c,d and e, CHM and co have stated multiple times that it "isn't a car show" but rather a bunch of "blokes cocking about" or something to that effect, depending on who was speaking. So they've been rather clear in their early interviews that it's just them doing silly stuff; don't expect "The World At War" or "Planet Earth" quality of detail and educational programming.

Going in with that expectation, I've been very pleased with the majority of what has been produced. That said, there's been a few forced bits or overly acted pieces that were perhaps at the behest of their Amazon overlords, but who knows?

Regarding point f, I find that interesting because these shows have been at least as memorable to me as were any of the old TG episides, with a few stand outs like the Space Shuttle Reliant Robin or the specials. Sorry to hear you're so disappointed, but I guess not everyone will love it.

Clarkson just said it was a car show in the last episode. Does that mean that everything they do needs to revolve around cars? No, but it is a car show.

I think it should also be said that in the last couple of years the competition for shows featuring cars has gotten a lot bigger. We are now spoiled for choice when it comes to entertainment based around the car. The Grand Tour may have more money and better cameras/camera work, but they're not bringing appealing content for people who actually like watching stuff involving cars. For someone like me the recipe is pretty simple - appealing location, interesting car(s), moderately interesting premise, small amount of humor.

Do you really want to watch two aging men play Battleship?

Mr. Regular mentioned something in this video that made me think of the fact that we are expected to enjoy watching a private hobby. Some people like watching golf, or chess, but if I had wanted to watch that, I could have tuned in to a golf tournament or a chess match. The same bodes true for Battleship.

Edit: Another point is that while they've done stuff like Caravan Conkers in the past, it wasn't as long, nor was it the more entertaining segment of the show. The car content in episode 5 was weak. Episode 1 and Episode 3 had some good car content. While I liked episode 3, I think that MWF was correct in his assessment of it.

Last edited:
Harshly put, but more or less correct. Points b and c in particular annoy me personally.

Regarding points a,b,c,d and e, CHM and co have stated multiple times that it "isn't a car show" but rather a bunch of "blokes cocking about" or something to that effect, depending on who was speaking.

But do you really want to judge it purely as a comedy show? It's rather mediocre at that. Some clever lines occasionally, but the big picture is that it's 3 completely flat characters acting in a predictable way. Yes, people like that, I get it. People also like Geordie Shore and X-factor. Let's not set the bar low.

Last edited:
We have to face facts. It used to be a car show with bit of dicking about. Now it's a dicking about show that may occassionaly feature a car.

disagree with most of

A. TGT does not need a home, when Top Gear were based out of Dunsfold, people complained and I agreed, that they shot too many films in that track. It gets quite boring after a while. I rather see them doing the car films outside of the that track.
B. The purpose of the TGT is about those 3 blokes doing something with cars, that is all. I like them and they make me a laugh, that is about it. It does not need solve world problems.
C. TGT is still trying to feel the audience, it might not work all of the times, but I think they are on the right track.
D. Total disagree, you might not like the films they did. I can see those three actual like to do this. It might have be more scripted than I wished. However, It is not like they do not scripted it before, just how and how much is the question.
D1. "As for the camera or Cinematography. Are you kidding,or you blend?? which parts is not better than Top gear before?
E. Car news!! Why you think that? it is silly to think they actual give you any news at all. They never do that anyway. The title is called "conversation street", that is all they did. Talk about cars, I am fine with it. As for the tent, what is the difference than before? I don't see your point at all.
F. Too bad you did not like, I think you will like it better if not hold too much of past.

Last edited:
@chocho55

D1.) I talked about camaraderie, not camera. The way they interact with eachother. They just seem to play their act, rather than just being friends cocking about. It feels faked.

I agree with all the points. Now it's a reality based show just like the hundred other reality based shows on TV. Substitute cars for houses for restaurants for deserted islands, for whatever and they are all the same show, just with different backdrops. The moving tent thing could work if they would use that opportunity to visit the local track(s) while in that location. Set the tent up at a track, they have a place to beat on the cars all they want, and I would think any track owner would probably let them use it for a relatively low cost just for the exposure.

I don't understand where the idea of "feeling out the audience" comes from. They were paid a large amount of money to bring the audience they had from the previous show. They have not done well in keeping that audience amused.

I think the downloads tell the story.

I don't understand where the idea of "feeling out the audience" comes from. They were paid a large amount of money to bring the audience they had from the previous show. They have not done well in keeping that audience amused.

I think the downloads tell the story.

Have to disagree here. They weren't paid to bring their audience with them; the nature of subscription-based video (as opposed to worldwide syndication market) would preclude that.

They were paid, however, to attract an audience to Amazon Video. If Amazon is happy with their subscription figures as a result of offering TGT, then we can't really complain that they're doing something horribly wrong.

Calling it a failure may be a bit harsh but I do agree on some of your points. I don't think there is anyway to tell if the 3 season contract is going to be a success or failure at this point it is far too early. And I have enjoyed the last two episodes the most so far and I feel like they are starting to find their flow.

With that being said, my biggest problem is why are they even changing tent locations week to week? As pointed out in this thread, there is almost no reason for that as most of the film they show is them having a random adventure in some other part of the world. Why not have the road trip/challenge in the country they are currently at that week?? Other than the brain crash and a few regional quips to begin the show, there is no point to them being in that particular place. So I really hope they do figure that out next season as that to me seems to be the whole point of the show.

- - - Updated - - -

Clarkson just said it was a car show in the last episode. Does that mean that everything they do needs to revolve around cars? No, but it is a car show.

I'm pretty sure it was the Hamster who said it...but same diff.

Have to disagree here. They weren't paid to bring their audience with them; the nature of subscription-based video (as opposed to worldwide syndication market) would preclude that.

They were paid, however, to attract an audience to Amazon Video. If Amazon is happy with their subscription figures as a result of offering TGT, then we can't really complain that they're doing something horribly wrong.

How is that different? Of course it would add to Amazon's subscription base.

Five episodes in and already a failure? Who knew this could happen to the show with the most illegal downloads in British history? Putting aside the issue that TGT is still in its teething stage, I'm not sure why the show's creators should take much stock in these sentiments when almost a decade's worth of previous series of Top Gear have received the same sort of criticism in places like this forum (who knew that Chicken Little's real home was the internet?). There are some merited criticisms of the new format, such a lack of regional interaction, but much of the griping is could easily be adapted to fit Top Gear's recent years. In any case, none of us will know if the show has been a true failure until Amazon releases viewing/subscription features or makes a gesture indicating whether they want more or fewer episodes.