TGT is a fail and here's why

Truth is, this show so far has been a disappointment. While it's true that the last couple of episodes were better than the dreadful episode 2. It's still not what it used to be. It's not memorable. They're not episodes/moments that you would re-watch. For example the Polar Special, I think I watched that over 5 times and each time it's enjoyable, it's entertaining.
This season of TGT, I honestly can't recall what happened in it. There's nothing there to be re-watched.

It lacks that Top Gear spirit. It's great to see James, Richard and Jeremy together, but somehow they're not really together. The formula it's not there.
Judging from these episodes so far, I can tell you exactly what will happen. The show will have 3 seasons, the 3 seasons that all of them signed up for.
Then amazon will cancel it. And the 3 of them will go back to the BBC for one last season of Top Gear, maybe two seasons. If they're not too old for it.

Last edited:
only other thing I've sat down and watched recently was Westworld, it was nothing more than reasonable.

*checks username* this post checks out...

what if Chris Evans appears on celebrity brain crash and he actually dies for real?

I support this message.

I disagree that The Grand Tour is a fail I sometimes think that people are having problems differentiating between CHM Top Gear and this program. Somethings need changing such as the celebrity thing amongst others but both Hammond and May have said in interviews that for the first series it is here to stay. I personally feel the next series will be different because they can see what works, what doesn't and what viewers plain dislike and if going from the past they will no doubt be looking at places like Drive Tribe, here and similar places to see what people want or do not want.

If I laugh and enjoy the episode then for me it was a success and I have rated until now all episodes a 9 apart from the latest one as I have only watched half of it till now and will rate once I have seen it but what CHM do is entertainment and has been for over the last 10 years, will Grand Tour have moments when we say **WOW** I do believe it will maybe not the first series but previously they have learnt what works and what doesn't and I expect them to do the same here.

It's been much better than Chris Evans Top Gear and than the last couple seasons of real Top Gear. It's flawed, but I'm really enjoying it. Episode 6 was a treat.

a.) TGT doesn't have a proper "home", namely a real track for car reviews. The Eboladrome is rubbish: too narrow, not enough open space for right camera angles and lame corners.

b.) TGT doesn't have any purpose in what it does, other than play repetitive acts. They film in many countries, but where's the information we get? They could be anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make any difference at all. All they do is drive somewhere for no reason at all.

c.) TGT doesn't know what it really wants to be. It looks like the cars are not important anymore, because they basically stopped telling us how it feels driving them. "I love the Alfa 4C because... just look at it". Really? That's it??? And no word on how the Zenon feels?

d.) TGT misses all the camaraderie that made CHM Top Gear great. They just act through their script, seemingly uninterested in what they are doing.

e.) TGT has a stupid tent which isn't needed at all. Not a single car news, just some tedious Celebrity Brain Crash and a couple of regional jokes. Get rid of the tent. It was fine when you had a track and invited celebrities, but since you don't have any of that anymore, it's time to move forward.

f.) TGT is so boring it's difficult to even remember what films they've shown in the first 4 episodes...

a. subjective
b. subjective
c. subjective
d. subjective
e.subjective
f. subjective

a. subjective
b. subjective
c. subjective
d. subjective
e.subjective
f. subjective

Wow, what a constructive comment....you do realise this is a discussion board yes? We discuss things, like for instance what we feel could be improved on TGT, dismissing others opinions as 'subjective' and coming up with none of your own will not help matters along one bit, except prove you are a blind fanboy.

That was polite? Was that polite? Cause I'm much better when I can just tell em to fuck off.....

Last edited:
To be fair, the title of the whole thread is a bit click-bait-y hyperbole. "I don't like it", which is subjective opinion, is different than "It's a failure", which is really more of an objective statement...and it doesn't really seem to be, earning large viewership numbers and large amounts of money. :dunno: I suppose it depends by what metric you're holding it to. Purely numbers performance? It's ability to carry on the spirit of the original?

Last edited:
Just to be clear I LIKE The Grand Tour, I can watch GHM host an X-factor/Jersey shore hybrid bullshit program and still enjoy it, but it's not perfect, the bones for a good show are there, how can they not be, and like you said it gets the numbers, but to keep them I think there are a few things they need to work on.....

a.) TGT doesn't have a proper "home", namely a real track for car reviews. The Eboladrome is rubbish: too narrow, not enough open space for right camera angles and lame corners.

b.) TGT doesn't have any purpose in what it does, other than play repetitive acts. They film in many countries, but where's the information we get? They could be anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make any difference at all. All they do is drive somewhere for no reason at all.

c.) TGT doesn't know what it really wants to be. It looks like the cars are not important anymore, because they basically stopped telling us how it feels driving them. "I love the Alfa 4C because... just look at it". Really? That's it??? And no word on how the Zenon feels?

d.) TGT misses all the camaraderie that made CHM Top Gear great. They just act through their script, seemingly uninterested in what they are doing.

e.) TGT has a stupid tent which isn't needed at all. Not a single car news, just some tedious Celebrity Brain Crash and a couple of regional jokes. Get rid of the tent. It was fine when you had a track and invited celebrities, but since you don't have any of that anymore, it's time to move forward.

f.) TGT is so boring it's difficult to even remember what films they've shown in the first 4 episodes...

And here is why you are more or less alone with your opinion:

CLICKBAIT

And that, my friend, is objective ;)

I could also post the numbers from IMDB but since IMDB belongs to amazon, the tinfoil hatters will probably immediately say that amazon manipulated it. So I didn't do that.

Last edited:
"No car news"

Dude. You realise its recorded months in advance, right? Any piece of news would be horribly outdated. Please also dont forget about any potential IP issues with mimicking TG.

a.) TGT doesn't have a proper "home", namely a real track for car reviews. The Eboladrome is rubbish: too narrow, not enough open space for right camera angles and lame corners. So far videography is good, and a real world track with bumps is more interesting than a flat airfield

b.) TGT doesn't have any purpose in what it does, other than play repetitive acts. They film in many countries, but where's the information we get? They could be anywhere in the world and it wouldn't make any difference at all. All they do is drive somewhere for no reason at all. The purpose is entertainment

c.) TGT doesn't know what it really wants to be. It looks like the cars are not important anymore, because they basically stopped telling us how it feels driving them. "I love the Alfa 4C because... just look at it". Really? That's it??? And no word on how the Zenon feels? Because TG was soooooooo down to earth and fact based

d.) TGT misses all the camaraderie that made CHM Top Gear great. They just act through their script, seemingly uninterested in what they are doing. Uhm...

e.) TGT has a stupid tent which isn't needed at all. Not a single car news, just some tedious Celebrity Brain Crash and a couple of regional jokes. Get rid of the tent. It was fine when you had a track and invited celebrities, but since you don't have any of that anymore, it's time to move forward. Surely, allowing audiences worldwide to join the show is unfair? Better do it in a shed in Britain all the time!

f.) TGT is so boring it's difficult to even remember what films they've shown in the first 4 episodes...Maybe you have a bad memory...

At least I'm not alone in being quite disappointed by the new show, despite keeping the openest of minds.
The car "reviews" are just bad in comparison to many youtubers, which is sad to say. The travel segments, their bread and butter, are superficial, even compared to past TG roadtrips. And the comedy, while subjective, is bottom of the barrel for these guys. I mean penis on sweaters. They are smart and witty enough to create new and better jokes.

Maybe season 2 will be more enjoyable when they aren't as pressed for time and have a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: TC
I liked the Namibia special more than the other episodes, but it still didn't click for me. I think there's a fundamental problem with this show and its journeys:

Risk of copyright infringement

Have you noticed they don't do any special challenges during their trips? I'm sure the BBC has the copyright on this format, so they can't use it anymore and now they're struggling to show a purpose on why they're driving around.

It still feels like there isn't any thought behind their journeys. The buggy trip was nice, but they just drove around in the desert doing nothing at all.

I expect more from the boys...

- - - Updated - - -

And here is why you are more or less alone with your opinion:

CLICKBAIT

And that, my friend, is objective ;)

I could also post the numbers from IMDB but since IMDB belongs to amazon, the tinfoil hatters will probably immediately say that amazon manipulated it. So I didn't do that.

Well, I'm sorry to tell you that that's just a large collection of subjective opinions. And since I wrote about my opinion, I doesn't matter how other people rate the show. It's not the ratings that will change my mind...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't be sad if I (or others) don't like the show. What should be important for you is that you have a nice time watching it. Don't try to convince me (or others) into liking it if I (they) don't.

Last edited:
I think the crucial mistake most people make is comparing The Grand Tour directly with CHM Top Gear.

CHM Top Gear is history. It is dead. It won't come back. The Grand Tour is a new show. It is not meant to replace Top Gear or be a follow-up. That was clear to me from the very first scene of the very first episode of TGT.

Top Gear is still a BBC brand and still being made independently -- if under new management, so to speak. So for those who choose to cling to that, suit yourself.

But The Grand Tour is a new show and I watch it as an entirely new show. Sure, some of the recipes are familiar, as are the people who make it. It is a new concept that is of course loosely based on what CHM did with Top Gear. But it's a new show and when I evaluate episodes in our polls, I evaluate them not in relation to CHM Top Gear but as a completely new show.

I have detatched myself mentally from Top Gear. And I recommend everyone doing the same. Comparisons are of course impossible to avoid but you should never connect it too much.

Otherwise you will never be happy with The Grand Tour and won't be able to enjoy it.

Last edited:
...it's indistinguishable from CHM TopGear...

Yeah, that is the mental mistake I was referring to ;) You have to disconnect yourself from it and trying seeing it with new eyes.