TGUSA should add an old car segment

K5ING

Car(s)
2001 VW Golf TDI
I would love for TGUSA to add a segment on a particular old, classic car during each episode. Get an expert to give the history of the car, maybe let Tanner drive it. Feature cars like Cord, Tucker, original Mustangs and GTO's, Duesenberg, Chrysler Airflow, etc. Some obscure cars would be good too. After all, this IS the History Channel, right?

Better yet, get with Popular Mechanics and Jay Leno to re-edit and use Jays videos from "Jay Leno's Garage". Get them down to about 10 minutes each and they would be perfect.

Another idea is to do a visit to some car museums. I'd love for them to go through the Auburn/Cord/Duesenberg museum in Auburn, IN.

Last edited:
i don't think Jay Leno should have anything to do with Top Gear.

although i do like the idea of a Vintage car segment. realistically, i don't think they can get away with doing a segment like that every episode, due to the advertisements. but a couple of them every season, enough time we be given to make each of those segments well thought of rather than being rushed.

i don't think Jay Leno should have anything to do with Top Gear.

And he won't (interviewing the trio notwithstanding).

I also think one every episode is too much. One or two per season would work, though. Or maybe devote the bulk of an episode to a car company, similar to TG UK devoting one to Lamborghini.

And he won't (interviewing the trio notwithstanding).

I also think one every episode is too much. One or two per season would work, though. Or maybe devote the bulk of an episode to a car company, similar to TG UK devoting one to Lamborghini.

No, no car companies. Focus on one car, such as the Cord 812, or the Tucker, or the 64 Mustang, etc. It could be done in a 6 minute segment and become a regular part of the show.

I know Leno can't do it (legal and contractual obligations), but it's his videos that I was using as an example of what I'm talking about. Try watching a few and see what I'm talking about.

I had posted an idea like this that I deleted from the TGUK suggestions thread for various reasons. To do one per show would be too much, one or two per series could work. I certainly would like to see something involving the cars of E. L. Cord, but I'm not so sure I'd like to see people who don't have a healthy appreciation for the automobile reviewing what were once, and in some ways still are, masterpieces of automotive design. The value of these cars alone would hopefully inhibit their owners from letting anyone drive them in an even remotely abusive manner. Three cars, one episode could work, but I'm not certain that any of the presenters could appreciate these cars for being the milestones that they are: E. L. Cord's Lycoming powered (Lycoming is pronounced like lie-coming, not lie-combing as many people say... the name comes from Lycoming County, PA), highly styled, technically innovative, mechanical works of art.

id like to see something similar, test cars that are classic and available though, like 50s and up cars, review them, show the problem spots, handling/power/drivabilty issues, etc. Kind of like a buyers guide/test. Not every episode though, its already too short and they dont have time to do a proper review of any car as it is.