Thank you for visiting Manchester, you will now be photographed. Move along, Citizen

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1050157_spy_cameras_sweep_the_city

Spy cameras sweep the city

Paul R Taylor
19/ 5/2008

EVERY car coming into Manchester is being snapped by a new network of police spy cameras.

Each day, 600,000 motorists' journeys are being captured, and the data will be stored for five years.

The cameras have been installed on the 12 major routes into the city, making it virtually impossible to travel into the middle of Manchester and not have your number plate recorded.

Manchester is the first city outside London to use Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras in this way.

Police will store details of the licence plate, colour of car and a time stamp on a central computer. They say it will help combat terrorism, crime and vehicle theft.

But civil rights campaigners fear the system means drivers are being subjected to `mass surveillance' as they go about their daily business.

The Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras have been set up around the city centre to capture vehicles travelling in and out on all major routes. The system records vehicle details and checks them with the Police National Computer, the DVLA database in Swansea and also local police intelligence databases.

Database
It can identify stolen vehicles, track cars used by terrorists, criminals and banned drivers and spot car tax and insurance dodgers.
James Welch, legal director of the civil rights group Liberty, said: "We have no problem with its use to locate vehicles whose owners police firmly suspect of having committed an offence.

"But it shouldn't be used for mass surveillance, or to target people the police have a hunch are up to no good." The fixed cameras began operating this month, with details - not photos - fed to the national database. They scan details of cars travelling at up to 100mph.

Greater Manchester Police also uses mobile ANPR systems in patrol cars and there are fixed cameras in other places, including the Trafford Centre.
Manchester is thought to be the first city outside London with a ring of cameras around the entire centre - and cameras in the capital are also used to enforce the congestion charge.
All major motorways are also covered.

Assistant Chief Constable Dave Thompson said the fixed cameras `will bring enormous benefits and aid us in protecting our communities'.

Sheila Ranger, of the RAC Foundation, said: "Our worry with the ANPR system is that it will encourage some people not to register their vehicles at all."

Wow that is scary, is there no limit?

When are people going to realize you cannot be 100% safe from everything. Its better just to take the "risks" and live a happier life. You can't avert all disasters.

They scan details of cars travelling at up to 100mph.

If you want to keep your privacy make sure to never go under 100mph through Manchester.

Time for someone to come up with a good do it yourself James Bond number plate switcher.

I don't mind them checking every number plate to check for stolen vehicles etc. but storing them is a bit dodgy.
I imagine the real reason for this is that they want to introduce the congestion charge here, so they can now argue that the infrastructure is in place so it won't be expensive to implement.

That is scary, good thing I don't have to worry about that ever happening in Texas.

one nation, under CCTV, it is then?

I happen to think it is a good idea. The only people who should have issues are criminals, right? If you are not one... no biggie.

Of course, before I set that opinion in stone I would want to read whatever published guidelines the Government has issued in regards to using this data.

I happen to think it is a good idea. The only people who should have issues are criminals, right? If you are not one... no biggie.

I really hate that argument, just because you're not a criminal doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned. I mean, how would you like government agents, police, etc. living in your house monitoring everything you do for the sake of "protecting public interest." You are not a criminal but does that mean you are ok with it?

I'll add this to the long list of Reasons not to visit Manchester ;)

I just had a thought. Does anyone have any idea if London keeps the details of the cars that come into the Congestion Zone as the system is essentially the same?

I really hate that argument, just because you're not a criminal doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned. I mean, how would you like government agents, police, etc. living in your house monitoring everything you do for the sake of "protecting public interest." You are not a criminal but does that mean you are ok with it?

I am not the right guy to ask that question to. My new job involves quite a bit of this "protecting public interest" you speak of.

Are you upset that your phone can track you via GPS too?

I am not the right guy to ask that question to. My new job involves quite a bit of this "protecting public interest" you speak of.

I think you understand the question whether or not you're in the line of duty. Its a general question, how would you feel about someone watching your every move and monitoring everything you say/do or the people you hang out with?

In a way I'm upset, but it goes back to what you said that if you're not doing anything wrong you shouldn't worry about it. Well I'm not, so I don't. But from what I wrote before, where does it stop? Recording your position or license plate for an extended period of time is one thing but it is the "slippery slope" idea. What stops them from taking it further? In the US constitution there is no mention of the right to privacy for a citizen, which is a scary thought. There isn't much between the government and our privacy. I realize too that we are all monitored probably more than we know. I'm of the firm belief that there should be less government involvment and meddling, but it as if they get bored and they have to meddle more and more. Like they have idle hands or something.

I disable that feature. It's burried in the menus, but it's in there.

They can easily triangulate your position on any phone, and if you have ever seen any of the NSA or other videos out there, your phone can QUICKLY be turned against you if the right person chooses to do so.

I disable that feature. It's burried in the menus, but it's in there.

Well the only problem there is that if you need to dial 911, your position will not instantly report... hope you don't ever need to call them!