Thank you for visiting Manchester, you will now be photographed. Move along, Citizen

They can easily triangulate your position on any phone, and if you have ever seen any of the NSA or other videos out there, your phone can QUICKLY be turned against you if the right person chooses to do so.

I figured they could do that, but what I was referring to tracking by GPS. I assume your phone needs a GPS feature in order for that to happen.

Well the only problem there is that if you need to dial 911, your position will not instantly report... hope you don't ever need to call them!

The phone will automatically enable the GPS when you call 911, you just have to turn it off again.

Also, I don't think the triangulation is quite as accurate as it's made out to be. I know they can tell what tower hosted the call and possibly what other towers were in range of the phone, but that still only gives a possible area where all those services overlap, not a perfect triangulation such as with radio navigation beacons.

I don't really see a big problem with it. I understand the argument for freedom and whatnot but look at it this way:
The cell phone tracking thing, for example, has never affected me in any way shape or form. If, however, something bad ever happens, the feature might save my behind.

Welcome. Welcome to City 17.

You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my Administration here, in the Citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I have been proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, Welcome to City 17. It's safer here.

I don't really see a big problem with it. I understand the argument for freedom and whatnot but look at it this way:
The cell phone tracking thing, for example, has never affected me in any way shape or form. If, however, something bad ever happens, the feature might save my behind.

You terrify me. No really; in all honesty, it scares me to my very core that you are OK with this.

Giving up personal freedoms in the name of safety gives a government more control over you, and what you do, and where you go.

You terrify me. No really; in all honesty, it scares me to my very core that you are OK with this.

Giving up personal freedoms in the name of safety gives a government more control over you, and what you do, and where you go.

What personal freedoms did they take away? What control do they have over me? Honestly, why should I care if they take a picture of my car once in a while? Does it affect you in any way, shape, or form? NO.
There are other reasons why I am against the idea, such as the fact that its a waste of money, but thats a different story.

You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my Administration here, in the Citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I have been proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through on your way to parts unknown, Welcome to City 17. It's safer here.

Best.
Post.
Ever.

LeVeL said:
What personal freedoms did they take away? What control do they have over me? Honestly, why should I care if they take a picture of my car once in a while? Does it affect you in any way, shape, or form? NO.
Well there is the generally accepted concept of a right to privacy, but that's a joke right :rolleyes: ? Why does the government need to know where I am and what I'm doing? Why should my tax dollars be wasted so the gov't can arbitrarily spy on it's own citizens?

Yeah, it's Breencast time!

Well there is the generally accepted concept of a right to privacy, but that's a joke right :rolleyes: ? Why does the government need to know where I am and what I'm doing? Why should my tax dollars be wasted so the gov't can arbitrarily spy on it's own citizens?

The government cannot possibly track every single car they photograph, so what makes you so special that they will "spy" on you and not on the other thousands of people that those cameras will get? Like I said, I would obviously have them not build those cameras but since they already have... whatever.

The government cannot possibly track every single car they photograph, so what makes you so special that they will "spy" on you and not on the other thousands of people that those cameras will get? Like I said, I would obviously have them not build those cameras but since they already have... whatever.
Heh, I'm not special and they are "spying" on the thousands who drive through there. It's the principles behind it that bug me; at least we can agree it's a stupid idea.

With how inexpensive processors have become, I disagree. The Bay Area uses plate recognition for toll enforcement on hundreds of thousands of cars every day.

I was waiting for that from the moment I saw the title.

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY!