Ownership Verified: That time FinalGear bought a Munich Roadster (MX-5) to drive from Germany to Finland

The MoldyX-5 was the NB one in Krefeld with an interior as wet as a sponge. And yeah, it had some rust on it too.

Hope he paid you well :D There is so much rust that it is amazing. But if welding is your hobby it should be fine after year or two.

I paid less than Antti's, and to be fair, the silver one is really similar in terms of structural rust - its just missing the surface rust on the rear left wheel arch.

Also I have never welded in my life, welding a car back together is a good place to start, right? :-D

I paid less than Antti's, and to be fair, the silver one is really similar in terms of structural rust - its just missing the surface rust on the rear left wheel arch.

Also I have never welded in my life, welding a car back together is a good place to start, right? :-D

Tru dat.
Rust, huh. Ok, ;) there is plenty of MX's floating so I have had really hard time understand why anyone wants to buy rusty one when you can get better car for, let's say twice the money. Spending the money on rusty one is false economy to my eye, specially if you dont have 911S from late 60's in your hands. But still hope you are going to have build topic here :) It's a good car to learn.

Did you have good look under both cars? How rusty were their subframes and suspension?

Last edited:
you can get better car for, let's say twice the money.

I don't have twice the money :)

But still hope you are going to have build topic here :) It's a good car to learn.

Yup, and parts are really cheap which is just awesome!

Did you have good look under both cars? How rusty were their subframes and suspension?

Beni has sent some photos around of the underside of Antti's car, it is acceptable - I don't know about the black car though.

Congratulations for your purchase!

Always good to see another miata in Munich.
Its actually a great snow drifter by the way...xD

Enjoy it!

In fact, Munich has actually lost one now since it was driven out of town and will be exported here :lol:

I see the immob is still hanging on...

Indeed :-D

Also, replaced air filter and it has resolved the coughing and made the engine feel really nice and lovely again:

6d70a043348cdbc0d78eb58d0782356f.jpg

Edit: Leads will be swapped tomorrow after work.

Last edited:
This 7 Euro Fix Will Transform Your Car! Mechanics Hate Him!

I don't think anybody expected the filter to have the density of a brick...

Wait, so the engine wasn't getting air properly and you didn't check the air filter first?

It was the first thing I checked after the leads, which I checked because someone suggested that they might be the issue.

When I get a new car, I replace/check
Spark plugs
Coolant
Engine oil, gearbox oil if possible
Air filter
Leads, distributor system
Battery
Lambda

If it still has issues, then we can start working on it. Seems a bit backwards to do it any other way. :p

Well, neither Joe nor I had the time to do all of that just for the sake of it, some stuff has been covered out of necessity of course.

And the complete lack of services wasn't as evident in the beginning.

Last edited:
The repair schedule has been Battery - Oil Filter ? Engine Oil ? Valve Cover Gasket ? Spark Plugs ? CAS O-ring ? Air Filter, mainly because of what has occurred or been evident, also according to the previous owner's understanding of the car's needs. Plug leads are an MX-5 trait, so they were brought in quite early as well, but correct NGK ones took time to source for a good price.

Well, neither Joe nor I had the time to do all of that just for the sake of it, some stuff has been covered out of necessity of course.

Some people don't seem to see the tight timeframe this whole thing went down in, I basically had the car for one day, in which I replaced the battery....Beni had it less than a week iirc...