The 2010/11 UCL UEFA Champions League & Europa League Thread

Have we got any Real or Chelsea fans on FG?

Those games were pretty much over after the first leg which is why I said they weren't interesting.

Nice gesture from Lyon and especially from Real Madrid players last night after the game:

000_Par61431871.jpg

resim1.jpg

How Liverpool played today against Braga was an absolute disgrace. No continuity, no speed. Just a lot of long balls (HOOF!) to Carroll and Kuyt, who were both offside most of the time.

Thursday, 17 March 2011
UEFA Europa League

FC Porto 2-1 CSKA Moscow (agg 3-1)
Liverpool 0-0 Braga (agg 0-1)
Man City 1-0 Dynamo Kiev (agg 1-2)
Paris SG 1-1 Benfica (agg 2-3)

Rangers 0-1 PSV Eindhoven (agg 0-1)
Spartak Moscow 3-0 Ajax (agg 4-0)
Villarreal 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen (agg 5-3)
Zenit St Petersburg 2-0 FC Twente (agg 2-3)

I watched the Liverpool game off and on, they looked like they were going out quite early on. Too nervous or something.

Mancini will wake up with a horse's head in his bed tommorrow and a pre-typed resignation letter on the table.

:lol:

Watched the Villarreal game myself. Looking at the teams still in the competition, I think the yellow submarine is looking a pretty strong contender for a winner. Spartak taking Ajax out 4-0 is pretty impressive though.

Balotelli before today's match...what the hell :lol:

^

Balotelli has talent, but is a hot head. Be OK in a few years time, maybe. Reminds me a bit of a young Anelka, he was more of a sulky girl though. :lol:

Last edited:
^
Balotelli has talent, but is a hot head. Be OK in a few years time, maybe. Reminds me a bit of a young Anelka, he was more of a sulky girl though. :lol:

Hot head yes, but that is not his biggest problem judging by that video:p

UEFA Champions League - Quarter Final Draw

Teams

Real Madrid (ESP)
FC Barcelona (ESP)
Manchester United (ENG)
Chelsea (ENG)
Tottenham (ENG)
FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)
Shakhtar Donestk (UCR)
Schalke 04 (DEU)

Quarter Finals

A Real Madrid vs Tottenham (April 5th/6th & April 12th/13th)
B Chelsea vs Manchester United (April 5th/6th & April 12th/13th)
C FC Barcelona vs Shakhtar Donestk (April 5th/6th & April 12th/13th)
D FC Internazionale Milano vs Schalke 04 (April 5th/6th & April 12th/13th)

Semi Finals

A winner vs C winner (26th/27th April & May 5th/6th)
B winner vs D winner (26th/27th April & May 5th/6th)

Mouth watering draws imo, and another Clasico seems to be on the cards which will make it 4 in April and 5 for this season. A bit of a pity as it is something to be savoured and a Clasico Final would have been very interesting.

I'm gonna predict Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona and Manchester United vs FC Internazionale in the Semis with Real and Inter battling it out in the final and Real lifting the trophy. There are several very good teams left though, Spurs especially have a chance to spring a bit of a surprise here.

Can't wait! :D

Odds are we'll get a Real Madrid - Barcelona semi-final, and that's quite awesome, always produces great matches :)

Really looking forward to this next round :) This time of the year is excellent when it comes to football :p

I'm gonna predict Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona and Manchester United vs FC Internazionale in the Semis with Real and Inter battling it out in the final and Real lifting the trophy. There are several very good teams left though, Spurs especially have a chance to spring a bit of a surprise here.

Pretty obvious prediction for a final four, but I don't think Real Madrid will go through Barca...at least I hope so. Benzema's been on fire lately though. 4 El Clasicos in little over 3 weeks would be interesting :D. ManU and Inter haven't been very steady with their performances this season so I think that's pretty much a coinflip.

Here's the UEFA Europa League draw:

The UEFA Europa League quarter-final draw:
FC Porto v FC Spartak Moskva
SL Benfica v PSV Eindhoven
Villarreal CF v FC Twente
SC Braga v FC Dynamo Kyiv

The semi-final lineup is:
Semi-final 1: SC Braga/FC Dynamo Kyiv v SL Benfica/PSV Eindhoven
Semi-final 2: FC Porto/FC Spartak Moskva v Villarreal CF/FC Twente

My guesses for semi-finals:
Dynamo - Benfica
Spartak - Villarreal

Dynamo and Villarreal into the final and Villarreal wins. Tight match-ups though and I'm most likely wrong.

Lots of Portuguese representation in the UEFA league... let's hope the title comes this way this year :p

As for the UCL I see Tottenham, Manchester and Inter out. For some reason, don't ask me why. And Barcelona will steamroll RM again if they cross paths. Honestly, fuck RM.

Last edited:
Watched the Villarreal game myself. Looking at the teams still in the competition, I think the yellow submarine is looking a pretty strong contender for a winner. Spartak taking Ajax out 4-0 is pretty impressive though.

Balotelli before today's match...what the hell :lol:

Video down so here is video

* snip * draw

Can't wait! :D

Yup, that looks about right.

Sir Alex was all mopey today because Vidic and Ferdinand are injured for weeks. Everyone recall how bad the Man U defence was last year when that happened?

Also, Spurs were great a couple of months ago, but have lost the spirit or something recently.

:)

Yup, that looks about right.

Sir Alex was all mopey today because Vidic and Ferdinand are injured for weeks. Everyone recall how bad the Man U defence was last year when that happened?

Also, Spurs were great a couple of months ago, but have lost the spirit or something recently.

:)

Last year we also lost Brown, O'Shea, Rafael, Fabio, Evans and Neville at the same time as well as Van der Sar. This year isn't even near that level. I have no problem with a Smalling/Evans defence.

Last year we also lost Brown, O'Shea, Rafael, Fabio, Evans and Neville at the same time as well as Van der Sar. This year isn't even near that level. I have no problem with a Smalling/Evans defence.

That's good Peter, Sir Alex didn't look too happy though. :p

Lots of tough games coming up for Man U at the sharpe end of the season.

I'd be pleased if you win all three trophies, but missing two of the best centre backs in Europe and both team captains, is not good. :unsure:

If one of Smalling and Evans is unavailable it could be interesting though - Brown and Smalling were horrendous.

I think it'll be interesting to see how the season ends, Man U have an injury list longer than Arsenal and you could make a half decent team out of all the injured players. Arsenal now have a week of rest between each game which definitely gives them the capacity physically to make a sustained title challenge but as it stands at the moment we have Cesc Fabulous, Song, Walcott, Fabianksi, WojSCEZ, Djorou, Vermaelen out and mental issues galore. I think City could still surprise us but only if Mancini goes on the attack once again, hopefully the Europa exit will mean he will really make an effort to usurp the two teams above them. Chelsea still have a talented squad and the capability to beat United and try and go for it in the other games because they can rest assured United and Arsenal will drop a fair few points.

The only side I can't see doing much are Spurs, who seem to lack the spark they had a couple of months ago.

There seems to be some great matches going on at the moment. I wouldn't have expected Inter to concede four goals at home. But then I don't mind it either :p

EDIT: 2-5 now. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Pretty brutal performance by Real Madrid. With Adebayor in the team and Higuain and Kaka back onboard I sense some pretty epic El Clasicos within a month.

Inter is in some pretty deep waters right now, 2-8 from the last two home games. Serie A and UCL pretty much over for them, at least they still have a shot in Coppa Italia. I sense Leonardo looking for a new job pretty soon.

Congrats to Raul for his 70th UCL goal, still going strong :clap: