The 2010/11 UCL UEFA Champions League & Europa League Thread

Wednesday, 13 April 2011
Champions League

Schalke 04 2-1 Inter Milan (agg 7-3)
Tottenham 0-1 Real Madrid (agg 0-5)

Grats to Schalke & Real for getting to the semis, as last night, not reallly a surprise after the first legs.

:)

Yeah poor Tottenhem, better luck next year. I like the way that the top rung teams are being shuffled a bit

Thursday, 14 April 2011
Europa League

Braga 0-0 Dynamo Kiev (agg 1-1)
(Braga win on away goals rule)

FC Twente 1-3 Villarreal (agg 2-8)
PSV Eindhoven 2-2 Benfica (agg 3-6)
Spartak Moscow 2-5 FC Porto (agg 3-10)

FC Porto completely destroyed Spartak. I'd be surprised if they didn't win the whole thing.

Also fuck yeah Portuguese football, 3 teams in the final 4.

Ah, the sweet taste of two goals away. Go Red Devils!

Tuesday 26 April, 2011

Schalke 04 0 - 2 Man Utd

BBC Sport - Match Report

A good result for Man U, who have been in the last eight or four of the competition so often, that they have a strong mindset of knowing what to do.

The "new kids" like, Schalke & Spurs and less experienced UCL teams, are at a disadvantage, which only gets redressed by years of campaigning at the highest level in Europe.

The good news for the Red Devils I predict, will be a comfortable win at Old traford and a place at the UCL Final at Wembley. However, who ever goes through from the El Clasico double-header, will probably win the Champions League this year.

But then again. my predictions suck. :lol:

To be honest your predictions are most likely to be correct, but since this is football we are talking about then they are probably wrong:p

Also after yesterdays game I sit left with one question. How the fuck did Schalke manage to get to the semi finals in champions league?:S
BTW, United, buy Neuer!

Schalke 04 have wonderful goal keeper (I heard he is off to Bayern Munich in the summer) - wow, what a performance!

He doesn't seem to want to leave Germany, so he's most likely going to Bayern M?nich at some point.

He doesn't seem to want to leave Germany, so he's most likely going to Bayern M?nich at some point.

I know, but he also wants Champions league play. Will see what happens.

Neuer is reportedly on his way to Bayern. And they probably will play CL next season - three matches to come and only 1 point behind Hannover who sits on the CL qualifying rank.

Neuer is reported to have signed a pre contract agreement with Bayern, which would mean that he would stay with Shalke for next season and move to Bayern for 2012/13.

Won't happen that way. His contract with Schalke ends in Summer '12. That means he is worth about ?20 millions if he leaves this summer and exactly nothing if they wait till next year. Besides, he has already announced his departure, but neglected to say where he's headed.

Reports say a lot, but I on the other hand got my hopes up untill I see him in a Bayern M?nchen kit

Wednesday 27 April, 2011

Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona

Well, that was a "lively" game, from what I saw of it. Only five yellows and one red card shown with all the nonesense going on seems restrained by the ref. Adebayor got away with a stupid foul, "raising hands" is supposed to be a straight red, only a yellow, possibly because he looked like a big girl doing it.

Very good result for Barca, two away goals just like Man U last night.

Looking good for Wembley are Barca, I'd say.

:cool:

To be honest, Barsa players' attitude tonight made me feel sick:

99h5st3quqvg.gif

BTW, Pepe doesn't even touch Alves:

OlbFl.gif

^
Lots of nonesense* during the game by both teams, but Pepe (?) still had "studs up", which again is supposed to be a straight red.

It is the current rules, even if he didn't make contact. The intent to do an illegal foul / dangerous play, is what the red is for.

* Nonsense = Shenanigans, used in case NooDle is watching.

BTW, Pepe doesn't even touch Alves:

That gif has what, four frames? And conveniently ends right after contact? Watch the replay. I don't think I've seen anyone yet say there wasn't contact. It's not always a case of a straight red but you can't say it wasn't deserved. But no one does a kick like that and simultaneously changes direction to jump 360 in the opposite direction without a contact.

Sure, Busquets was his usual diving self and the dive by Pedro was silly but Di Maria and Marcelo weren't any better. And Adebayor might've been given a red for his foul as well.

All in all, not the most exciting Clasico. After the CdR final and the league game I expected much more from Real Madrid, it looked they weren't even trying, what a lousy performance. Apparently Mourinho was aiming for keeping a 0-0 and bringing on substitutes in the end and raising the pace but Pepe's red messed that up and Adebayor was a joke. As usual Mou already started bitching about the referees and what-not. Thumbs up for Puyol, Afellay and Messi for their performances, Afellay should really get more minutes in the field. Magical second goal by Messi again and it looks like he's on his way to set a goal scoring record in Spain that won't be broken in a while. At least not by anyone else than himself.

Watched the game in a bar full of Spanish exhange students, great atmosphere! They're a bit more passionate about the game than the average Finnish fan :)

Last edited:
I'm happy about the result, the match was.. Well, it wasn't pretty, but I was entertained... :)

Pinto also got a red card, probably for complaining.. :p

Messi's second goal was fantastic. Seriously. No other footballer makes goals like it.

Regarding attitudes, I think both teams were pretty crap. I always wonder about football, why isn't there more about being a man? You get all these sissy moves, rolling around on the grass because of the slightest touch. It's pathetic, it's embarrassing, and why the hell do they think it's okay.

And another thing.. When managers get send to the stands for one reason or another, why on earth are they still allowed to communicate with their bench? You see it all the time, tonight with Mourinho and his notes, you see Ferguson with a cell phone in his hand constantly when he is being punished. It makes no sense.

But enough about that, back to ChL: I'd be much surprised if this result doesn't mean that Barcelona is through to the final. So we'll most likely see a Utd-Barca final again, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion :) Barcelona are probably favourites, but you'd be a fool to write off Manchester :)