The 2010/11 UCL UEFA Champions League & Europa League Thread

RVP!

Holy shit, what a goal. Lets not fuck this up, lets score again!

Congratulations! Love to see Barcelona lose:)

I'm going to miss the second leg of it too because I'll be in boot camp!

RAAAAAAAGE

Fuck this. Barca was really useless with straightforward attacks, they always chose to put the brakes on and start passing around. Worked pretty well on the first half but they should've changed the strategy in the second half. I didn't quite understand the Villa-Keita sub and they should've brought Bojan in IMO. Also took them about 80 minutes to start using any side-to-side passes to open up some space in the Arsenal end.

I hope Arsenal is willing to play at Camp Nou and doesn't turn it into Barca - Inter from last year, which was about the worst footballing ever seen. Barca's facing a pretty busy early March with 3 games in one week, one of them being a away game against Valencia and only having a one day rest between Zaragoza and Arsenal games.

Fair play to Arsenal though.

edit: Oh and lol at AS Roma. Nice gift goal for a winner as well.

Last edited:
I hope Arsenal is willing to play at Camp Nou and doesn't turn it into Barca - Inter from last year, which was about the worst footballing ever seen.

Arsenal don't have the defensive weight to "destroy" a game in the same way as Internazionale. And thank god for that.

Champions League
Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Arsenal 2-1 Barcelona
Roma 2-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

Well done the Arsenal for the result, going to be tough at the Nou Camp but all is posible. :thumbsup:

And well done to Shakhtar as well, I wasn't so surprised at the win.

I'm going to miss the
second leg of it too because I'll be in boot camp!

RAAAAAAAGE

You joining the Marine Corps? :shock:
(Or the Girl Scouts.:p)

Arsenal don't have the defensive weight to "destroy" a game in the same way as Internazionale. And thank god for that.

If Barca doesn't change it's style from the usual and what we saw today it should be possible to kill the game by just occupying the penalty box and right outside of it. Barca has no particularly good shooters, no tall offensive players to use their head and no big and strong guys like Zlatanr so what they always do is pass around in the offensive and, Messi/Villa/Pedro makes a run into the penalty box while someone finds a hole in the defensive line for the pass. But I doubt Arsenal wants to try playing in their own end all the time because it's different to last year with Inter, 1-0 would be enough to take them out.

The next week's games are not exactly interesting, except maybe the Inter - Bayern game. Chelsea has basically a free pass and looking at the performances of Marseille and Lyon in Ligue 1 vs. ManU and RMA in EPL and La Liga, there shouldn't be any drama there either. Inter has been picking up pace since Leonardo took over so they might give Bayern a run for their money though.

edit: thanks to the local station only having a game-per-week contract with UEFA I had to dig up a stream for the Arsenal - Barca. Naturally only thing working fine I find is some Slovakian (or something like that) stream. Not only did they speak total gibberish but were also the two most unenthusiastic commentators on this planet. Not a change in their tone in the whole game. Made me miss the Chinese CCTV-5 streams I've sometimes used...

Last edited:
Hey hey wait a minute!

FC Copenhagen got a point against Barcelona in the group :p And not by shutting the game down, they were actually playing football.

Chelsea should win, but with their current crisis.. Well, we have a lot of unjustified hope here in Denmark :D

And with Barcelona - Arsenal.. Great game, and deserved win for Arsenal. I don't quite know what Barcelona was thinking, it was like they were satisfied with the 1 goal lead and just wanted to keep that going in to Camp Nou! Making defensive substitutions and what not. When they wanted to they played in circles around Arsenal, but their attitude was lacking.
I can't see anything but a win for Barcelona at Camp Nou though. They need Messi to perform, his performance was lacking a lot last night. He had chances that ordinarily he never misses.

Really looking forward to seeing how FC Copenhagen will cope next week :D They were impressive in their group games! But the Danish league have been on winter break, so they might lack some match fitness, though they've played a few friendlys.

Champions League
Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Arsenal 2-1 Barcelona
Roma 2-3 Shakhtar Donetsk

Well done the Arsenal for the result, going to be tough at the Nou Camp but all is posible. :thumbsup:

And well done to Shakhtar as well, I wasn't so surprised at the win.

You joining the Marine Corps? :shock:
(Or the Girl Scouts.:p)

Navy. :p

tumblr_lgqo5cjrji1qauugl.gif

tumblr_lgqo6aNcRY1qauugl.gif

tumblr_lgqo77jGJS1qauugl.gif

That is all.

Thursday, 17 February 2011
Uefa Europa League

Anderlecht 0-3 Ajax
Basle 2-3 Spartak Moscow
BATE Borisov 2-2 Paris SG
Benfica 2-1 VfB Stuttgart

Besiktas 1-4 Dynamo Kiev
FC Metalist Kharkiv 0-4 Bayer Leverkusen
Lech Poznan 1-0 Braga
Lille 2-2 PSV Eindhoven

Napoli 0-0 Villarreal
PAOK Salonika 0-1 CSKA Moscow
Rangers 1-1 Sporting
Rubin Kazan 0-2 FC Twente

Sevilla 1-2 FC Porto
Sparta Prague 0-0 Liverpool
Young Boys 2-1 Zenit St Petersburg

Congratulations and have a good time on your service. :cool:
(Can you get Internet access on a warship?)

Pretty disappointing result for PSG and shame on Lille for losing their 2-0 in the end. Would've wanted to see Villarreal win (Napoli's been impressive this year though) and Sevilla continues their not-so-great year. Not an excellent result for Liverpool but I guess they'll win the second leg. Pleasantly surprised too see Twente take down Kazan.

Just realised I have a party to attend to when the Barca - Arsenal game is on. SHIT. I need to find a pub which shows the game.

And 1 goal and 2 assist from our Danish 18 year old "wunderkind" in Ajax :)

Just saw an article on Goal.com recently, apparently Barcelona haven't won an away knock out game in Champions League while Guardiola has been manager. That's quite surprising. And merely confirms my belief that Barcelona are still the most likely to proceed in the tournament (Sorry Arsenal fans ;)).

Lyon - RMA was pretty entertaining, Lyon played really well apart from the first 30 mins of the second half. They applied good pressure in the last 10 minutes, a shame they couldn't score a winner. Bernabeu will be very difficult though, especially with Bastos missing the game.

A shame about Copenhagen, seeing the highlights it looks like they had their chances but the execution was pretty weak.

Tuesday, 22 February 2011
Uefa Champions League

FC Copenhagen 0-2 Chelsea
Lyon 1-1 Real Madrid

Nice away result for Chelsea. :cool:

Uefa Europa League

CSKA Moscow 1-1 PAOK Salonika (agg 2-1)

Yeah, it was pretty dissapointing, not that Copenhagen lost, you'd have to be more than ordinarily optimistic to expect a win against Chelsea, but dissapointing that they didn't put up more of a fight! Anelka was brilliant though. Torres shows his skills in flashes, but he is lacking that final touch.

Wednesday, 23 February 2011
Uefa Champions League

Last 16 first leg ties

Inter Milan 0-1 Bayern Munich
Marseille 0-0 Man Utd

Uefa Europa League

FC Porto 0-1 Sevilla (agg 2-2) (FC Porto win on away goals rule)

Thursday, 24 February 2011
Uefa Europa League

Ajax 2-0 Anderlecht (agg 5-0)
Bayer Leverkusen 2-0 FC Metalist Kharkiv (agg 6-0)
Braga 2-0 Lech Poznan (agg 2-1)
Dynamo Kiev 4-0 Besiktas (agg 8-1)

FC Twente 2-2 Rubin Kazan (agg 4-2)
Liverpool 1-0 Sparta Prague (agg 1-0)
Man City 3-0 Aris Salonika (agg 3-0)
Paris SG 0-0 BATE Borisov (agg 2-2) (PSG win on away goals rule)

PSV Eindhoven 3-1 Lille (agg 5-3)
Spartak Moscow 1-1 Basle (agg 4-3)
Sporting 2-2 Rangers (agg 3-3) (Rangers win on away goals rule)
VfB Stuttgart 0-2 Benfica (agg 1-4)

Villarreal 2-1 Napoli (agg 2-1)
Zenit St Petersburg 3-1 Young Boys (agg 4-3)

Liverpool and Man City go through from the EPL to the last 16. :cool:

The Inter - Bayern game was definitely the most entertaining game so far in the 1/8 finals. Both teams really tried to score and it was a really fast paced game. A shame Bayern scored a late winner, would've liked to see them go to the second game in an even situation. Milan has always been my Serie A favorite and I didn't like Mourinho's Inter at all, but I have to say that having seen a few games, they've been very entertaining to watch with Mourinho gone and less scoring responsibility on Milito due to his injuries. Also, Eto'os always been one of my favorites.