The 2010/11 UCL UEFA Champions League & Europa League Thread

Eto'o is an amazing player. And the Bayern - Inter game was indeed very entertaining! I love watching Robben play, if he wasn't injured all the time I could quite easily see him get mentioned among the worlds greatest. They constantly had two guys on him, yet it didn't really seem to bother him :p Ribery had an off night, but his talent is always evident.

I really hope Bayern goes through, I like their style :)

Interesting news, Bundesliga has passed Serie A in the UEFA ranking. From now on Bundesliga will have four Champions league spots and Serie A will be down to three. Interesting to see one more German team in the UCL but I hope AS Roma keeps struggling so we won't be seeing the usual Milan-Inter-Roma every year in the Champions League. I'm pretty sure Napoli or Lazio (or both) will be in the UCL next year, that'll be cool.

Interesting news, Bundesliga has passed Serie A in the UEFA ranking. From now on Bundesliga will have four Champions league spots and Serie A will be down to three. Interesting to see one more German team in the UCL but I hope AS Roma keeps struggling so we won't be seeing the usual Milan-Inter-Roma every year in the Champions League. I'm pretty sure Napoli or Lazio (or both) will be in the UCL next year, that'll be cool.

One less Italian team in the UCL :dance:. Truly dreadful defending by Arsenal.

One less Italian team in the UCL :dance:. Truly dreadful defending by Arsenal.

Yeah but Bundesliga has a more variation in the top teams than Serie A so we're used to seeing different teams from Germany in the UCL but Serie A has a typical Inter-Milan-Roma top 3 (and Juve a possible candidate) so I hope this doesn't mean we'll be seeing the same teams from Italy every year.

All I know is that Champions League football is coming to the 5,000 seat Mainz stadium!

All I know is that Champions League football is coming to the 5,000 seat Mainz stadium!

Huh? What stadium are you talking about? Mainz 05 home stadium seats over 20,000 doesn't it? Besides, a 5,000 seat stadium couldn't hold a high enough UEFA stadium ranking to host Champions League matches...

You I'm so looking forward to it as well :)

I'm sort of ditching my sister birthday to go watch it with some friends :lol:

Tuesday, 8 March 2011
Uefa Champions League

Barcelona 3-1 Arsenal (agg 4-3)
Shakhtar Donetsk 3-0 Roma (agg 6-2)

Knocked out again by Barca!
Commiserations Gunners, Whappeh won't be happy in Boot Camp! :(

Visca Barca! I was supposed to attend a party tonight but fell sick so I had to stay home and watch the game tonight, which wasn't too bad an alternative. Very impressive play in the offensive end. Great work by the whole team, save Adriano's "interesting" plays here and there.

Roma, again, seriously? 3-0 defeat, missed penalty, red card and another gift goal. That wen't well... pretty cool to see Shakhtar go through though.

That red card was absolute shit. I know Arsenal were by far the inferior team, but I don't see them conceding twice with 11 men. We got screwed.

The red card was a harsh judgement, but he was stupid to get the first yellow card - he put himself in a vulnerable position.

All in all, Barcelona completely outplayed Arsenal, as was the case last year. Arsenal didn't look like they wanted to achieve anything besides attempting to keep their lead from the first game.

They would have advanced with one more goal, one would thing they would have put in a little more effort to get it.

That red card was absolute shit. I know Arsenal were by far the inferior team, but I don't see them conceding twice with 11 men. We got screwed.

No, it was well shown. The attitude of that guy was completely childish all game long. He deserved 3 or 4 yellow cards from what I could see.
Arsenal deserved losing because they went in to that game with the most stupid mentality they could have picked: Try to hold a 0-0 against Barcelona at Camp Nou. The odds of that happening were completely 0, no matter how many players you defend with (and Arsenal was defending with 8 + the keeper). Bar?a has too much talent to let that kind of play stop them as Messi, the magician, showed with that magnificent goal.

Just result, Barcelona moves on, they deserved it.

Just missed the goal by messi at the end of the first half as I settled at the bar I walked to. Replays ftw. Damn, if that guy had more feel for balls he'd hit himself in the nuts.
The yellowred destroyed Arsenals chance to succeed, afterwards they were outplayed by barca.
As Lehmann mentioned: If they had managed to get some good standards afterwards they might have scored again, but they lost the ball too early.
I'm not a fan of barcelonas "klein in klein" but they were damn quick to make an attack out of some short passes. their agility and ball control were astonishing.
I didn't see the first half, so I have now idea how Arsenal managed to break free when they had their full team, but I guess they should have at least one or two corners more with the chance to get a goal.
Since all goals were made by barca, the best players were Messi for barca and Almunia for Arsenal for maintaining some stability despite literally getting kicked in the head multiple times.

Even without the red, Barca still scored all 4 goals. Would have loved seeing Arsenal win but they were very clearly the lesser team.

If we go that way you might as well take into account Messi's disallowed onside goal in the first leg etc. With shots 20-0 to Barca, the 3-1 actually makes it look better for Arsenal than it was.

On another note, fuck being sick. Since today's games aren't televised on free channels, I gotta skip going to a pub to watch the game and find another stream with commentating in arabic or chinese probably. Would love to see both games but I guess I'll have to skip Valencia's game, good luck to them. While I like Tottenham, I'm a long time supporter of Milan so I guess I'm rooting for them tonight. Not too optimistic though...

I'm looking forward to the Tottenham - Milan match as well :) Rooting for Tottenham though ;)

I've decided that Shakhtar are my team for the rest of the tournament.