The 2010/11 UCL UEFA Champions League & Europa League Thread

Tuesday 26 April, 2011

Schalke 04 0 - 2 Man Utd

BBC Sport - Match Report

A good result for Man U, who have been in the last eight or four of the competition so often, that they have a strong mindset of knowing what to do.

The "new kids" like, Schalke & Spurs and less experienced UCL teams, are at a disadvantage, which only gets redressed by years of campaigning at the highest level in Europe.

The good news for the Red Devils I predict, will be a comfortable win at Old traford and a place at the UCL Final at Wembley. However, who ever goes through from the El Clasico double-header, will probably win the Champions League this year.

But then again. my predictions suck. :lol:

Shush, you! :mad:

BTW, United, buy Neuer!

dowant.jpg

What a performance!

Wednesday 27 April, 2011

Real Madrid 0 - 2 Barcelona

Well, that was a "lively" game, from what I saw of it. Only five yellows and one red card shown with all the nonesense going on seems restrained by the ref. Adebayor got away with a stupid foul, "raising hands" is supposed to be a straight red, only a yellow, possibly because he looked like a big girl doing it.

Very good result for Barca, two away goals just like Man U last night.

Looking good for Wembley are Barca, I'd say.

:cool:

BRING IT! :lol: (I certainly don't lack confidence...)

I was worried about the potential final against Barcelona, but after watcing yesterdays game I actually got my hopes up. There were short periodes of the game when real was really agressive, pushed forward and in general stressing barcelona. Mistakes was then made and cracks in barcelonas armour started to appear. Now United is a machine that usually grinds opposing teams down. Everything depends on United's form on the final day, but if they are in form, got lot's of energy left, then they can take out barcelona as well. I am starting to look forward to this:D

The "aftergame" of the Clasico has been pretty sad, especially on Real Madrid's part. I was stunned to see this on RMA's official site, what the hell? Lost my last piece of respect for the team. Whereas the content isn't any different to any RMA fan's moaning, it's pretty ridiculous to see that's an official "statement". They even made a nice little highlight video of the Barca dives with some rather provocative commentary from what I could understand. Obviously they happened to leave out all the good Di Maria and Marcelo bits. And to add up they included quotes by Rio Ferdinand, Owen (ex-RMA player) and Mcilroy and Ochocinco (Golf player and american football player, LOL).

No matter if there was a touch or a millimeter between Pepe and Alves, it's obvious from the replay that Pepe aims his kick to Alves after he's touched the ball so it's a deserved red nevertheless. Obviously Mourinho, who thinks he's the second coming of Jesus, claims he made zero mistakes and the loss was down to UEFA favorism, refs, wrong positions of the planets and what-not. Not to mention his comments after the game, he's definitely the most disgusting man in football right now IMO.

UEFA is also investigating the Mourinho, Pepe and Pinto cards. Pepe's and Mourinho's card should remain as is and Pinto might get some ban, considering the earlier Gattuso-Tottenham 4-match ban.

On another news, tonight's results:

Benfica - Braga 2 - 1
Porto - Villarreal 5 - 1

I watched the Porto game and they (and Falcao especially with 4 goals) were on fire as expected but what a joke Villarreal's defense was, just like a couple weeks back when they took a 5 - 0 beating from Valencia. In one of the goals they tried an offside trap resulting in 5 onside Porto players going for the header without a single defender in sight :lol:. Shame, I wanted Villarreal to win this. Looks like we're going to get the Portuguese classic in the final.

Real Madrid really deserves the worst and should be punished accordingly. We've been attacked the whole season with accusations, disrespect and dirty play by their side. Mourihno should really go and visit a psychiatrist because all he sees is people against him and Pepe should be kept in a zoo. Who doesn't remember the Casquero incident last year???

n one of the goals they tried an offside trap resulting in 5 onside Porto players going for the header without a single defender in sight :lol:.

I want to see that.

The Real-Barcelona game has, if not anything else, shown why it is completely impossible to have a rational, calmed discussion about football pretty much anywhere on the internet. On here is literally the only place I know where it doesn't end up in swearing and shouting.

It's ridiculous. Apparently football gives people carte blanche to behave like monkeys. And now even Real Madrid has started! What the hell is going on. I like spanish football, I like watching both Barcelona and Real Madrid. But for crying out loud. There's just so much more dignity and pride in english football.

It is really weird that Ronaldo is pretty much the only person that risen in esteem for me, after his negative comments towards their defensive tactics.

Mourinho.. I respect him for what he does, and in the past I've always seen his mindplays as mostly good fun. But he is just growing more and more arrogant, if that's even possible. I don't care how good he is, I don't understand how Real Madrid can justify having someone like that represent the club in any kind of major way.

You can probably tell, I'm quite annoyed by all of this :p

Real Madrid really deserves the worst and should be punished accordingly. We've been attacked the whole season with accusations, disrespect and dirty play by their side. Mourihno should really go and visit a psychiatrist because all he sees is people against him and Pepe should be kept in a zoo. Who doesn't remember the Casquero incident last year???

Barcelona was just as bad as Real Madrid in the game. Their diving antics and surrounding the referee after every foul was disgraceful.

Pepe deserved to be sent off. Alves deserved to be carded for feigning injury and going off on a stretcher.

What do you have to say about this ?

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/st/stevanford/2011/04/29/HNTgR.gif

Pretty fucken pathetic if you ask me.

Barcelona was just as bad as Real Madrid in the game. Their diving antics and surrounding the referee after every foul was disgraceful.

Pepe deserved to be sent off. Alves deserved to be carded for feigning injury and going off on a stretcher.

I say that better rewatch the whole match, and count how many times did the F.C Barcelona "dive" and how many times did the Real Madrid (experts in diving since 1900). And if you have time, watch the whole Copa del Rey and R.Madrid - Bar?a from two weeks ago and tell me about it. I can show you some more gifs too:

s32hrp.gif

Pepe, the player that never "intended" to hurt anyone.

nv78yp.gif

Or showed respect for the rival after scoring the goal that won them the "Copa del Rey".

tumblr_ljz5ddjeV31qf55n8o1_400.gif

Nice gesture after stomping on Villa's legs.

R.Madrid has ALWAYS played like that. Pepe deserved the red card no matter how many modified videos and gifs you'll find on the internet, we all saw what we saw. And we deserved the victory last wednesday.

Apart from being one of the biggest fakers in the game:

ilao3d.gif

He also does things like this:

hdnyv9abrs8x.gif

(This happened during last week King's Cup final and if I'm not mistaken he wasn't even shown a yellow card)

Anyway, Bar?a and their supporters are so up their arses right know that they think they have reinvented football and piss Eau d'Cologne.

What I don't understand is why the big fuss is suddenly about wednesday's dives. Sure, diving sucks but Busquets has always been a joker like that and no one's made a big deal out of it. Di Maria is just as bad himself, then there's Nani, Gerrard, Ronaldo etc etc, diving happens in every big team out there. Period. It's like everyone suddenly buys the Mourinho propaganda and the video uploaded by Real Madrid themselves. Yeah, absolutely neutral bias in that one. By accident they left out the stomps by Marcelo and Arbeloa, the shove to Busquets' face by Adebayor, Marcelo's penalty celebration and all that stuff.

Mourinho's media game just fucking disgusts me. He has a completely black and white view on everything and is trying to get everyone on his side with his sayings. He's quick to complain after every ref decision against him, but his selective memory forgets everything that's gone his way (Porto going through Deportivo in the UCL in 2004 etc). He makes a big deal about RMA finishing games with 10 players but forgets why the reds were given. Like in November when Ramos got sent off in the 5-0 loss to Barcelona. First he did a brutal tackle on Messi and went on to shove his international teammates Puyol and Xavi in the face after the tackle. This was on 93rd minute with RMA five goals down, but of course Mourinho only points out a red card against Barca. When you ask your players to play rough, don't cry if you get punished.

Another funny thing is when Mourinho was accused of playing too defensive last week, he replied that the titles are the only thing that matters, not how they were won. Then, after the defeat on wednesday he immediately went on to say that he'd be ashamed to win like Guardiola did. Wait, only titles mattered right?

What I think might be the correct way to handle diving is to fine the players. Remember when Rivaldo was fined for his silly dive in the World Cup in 2002? The fine was only pocket money for him (something like 2000 euros IIRC) but it was widely publicised in the news and left a stain on his image. The fine isn't anything too radical but it makes the diving "official" so to say. But I doubt anything will be done, diving is so commonplace that shit would start flying in every direction and it'd be a farce.

And why is it that Mourinho's team gets booked against Barca? Ref bias? Sure:
busi01-rmzq0v.gif

busi02-rmqr58.gif

17q2t.gif

2ko81.gif

1303943523610.jpg

Phew, new personal best for longest post.

Hey! Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending at all the attitude of Sergio Busquets. He should be punished like any other player. But what I meant is that Real Madrid is the master in faking, diving a protesting every single thing that goes against them. They cannot play football so their only way is to wait until the other team fails.

And we, Bar?a supporters haven't reinvented the football at all. We've been playing like that since Cruyff was the coach, and even the Spanish selection won the World Cup by playing the football styile of F.C. Barcelona. It's Real Madrid who thinks that only with money they can build the best team in the world and have forgotten the way the team played when he was on top. The Spanish press has been flaming us all the season, punishing us and even accussing us of doping so they could put the pressure on us. You know what they got? A 5-0 in camp Nou, a 0-2 in Bernabeu, we got the Liga and we are about to get to the final. They only got the Copa del Rey. They better stop flaming and play football because they are about to see the biggest EPIC FAIL EVER.

Born in Catalunya and Barcelonista forever.

P.S You should check the Xavi alonso GIF much better, because he didn't even touch him otherwise you would see the result in the sock.

P.S. 2 BTW Bar?a - Madrid encounters are more then football matches but political ones. We Catalans don't feel attached to Spain at all and we are hit hard everyday by the right parties who treat us like terrorists everyday and see Real Madrid like the pure Spanish ambassador of football. And they cannot stand that a Catalan team leads the way in the cuntry. They even banned the speaker in Bernabeu speak in Catalan and retrieved all Senyera flags from Bar?a supporters. So you'll understand the hatred between the two teams and two ways of seeing football and the country.

Last edited:
Hey! Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending at all the attitude of Sergio Busquets. He should be punished like any other player. But what I meant is that Real Madrid is the master in faking, diving a protesting every single thing that goes against them. They cannot play football so their only way is to wait until the other team fails.

And we, Bar?a supporters haven't reinvented the football at all. We've been playing like that since Cruyff was the coach, and even the Spanish selection won the World Cup by playing the football styile of F.C. Barcelona. It's Real Madrid who thinks that only with money they can build the best team in the world and have forgotten the way the team played when he was on top. The Spanish press has been flaming us all the season, punishing us and even accussing us of doping so they could put the pressure on us. You know what they got? A 5-0 in camp Nou, a 0-2 in Bernabeu, we got the Liga and we are about to get to the final. They only got the Copa del Rey. They better stop flaming and play football because they are about to see the biggest EPIC FAIL EVER.

Born in Catalunya and Barcelonista forever.

P.S You should check the Xavi alonso GIF much better, because he didn't even touch him otherwise you would see the result in the sock.

P.S. 2 BTW Bar?a - Madrid encounters are more then football matches but political ones. We Catalans don't feel attached to Spain at all and we are hit hard everyday by the right parties who treat us like terrorists everyday and see Real Madrid like the pure Spanish ambassador of football. And they cannot stand that a Catalan team leads the way in the cuntry. They even banned the speaker in Bernabeu speak in Catalan and retrieved all Senyera flags from Bar?a supporters. So you'll understand the hatred between the two teams and two ways of seeing football and the country.

LOL, well not only they think they piss Eau d'Cologne, they also think they are some kind of victims of the evil Spaniards in everyday life (for reference, think Scottish nationalism typical victimism multiplied by 1000000000). Luckily not everyone is like that in Catalonia.

Anyway, I hope ManU (a team I can't stand but anything is better than the biggest hypocrites in the sport) slap you in the face in Wembley even if they probably will have to play against 14 people.

P.S.: This is the most common sight on a football pitch everytime a Bar?a player fakes a foult. Half their team surrounding the referee asking for a yellow, or if the faking has been good enough, a red card for a rival:

a0ky1l.jpg

Last edited:
Hey! We don't need to get rude ok? This is a football post and it's normal to get over excited defending each others teams. I only wanted to give some information about something nobody knows shit about so you could have a different point of view.

(This happened during last week King's Cup final and if I'm not mistaken he wasn't even shown a yellow card)

Anyway, Bar?a and their supporters are so up their arses right know that they think they have reinvented football and piss Eau d'Cologne.

Before you turn that into Barca favorism, remember that Pepe escaped the first La Liga game without a single card.

The way I see it, Madridistas and such are just playing saints and trying to take as much away from Barcelona as they can. Funny how elsewhere I didn't hear anyone critisizing RMAs awful play Wednesday but everyone was quick to point out all the dives and such and blame the loss on referee favorism and whatnot. If you went through any game or team like that, going through slowmo gifs with a magnifying glass you could find some pretty nasty stuff. If the game had been some Almeria - Zaragoza, would've anyone given a shit? Everyone would've just ignored it as an average, if pretty boring, football match.

Cold Fussion said:
I want to see that.

I might've exaggerated slightly, but here it is. One of the defenders in the line was playing his man and the rest were playing the offside trap. Pretty standard Villarreal defense.

EDIT:

Jimi Hendrix said:
LOL, well not only they think they piss Eau d'Cologne, they also think they are some kind of victims of the evil Spaniards in everyday life (for reference, think Scottish nationalism typical victimism multiplied by 1000000000). Luckily not everyone is like that in Catalonia.

Anyway, I hope ManU (a team I can't stand but anything is better than the biggest hypocrites in the sport) slap you in the face in Wembley even if they probably will have to play against 14 people.

P.S.: This is the most common sight on a football pitch everytime a Bar?a player fakes a foult. Half their team surrounding the referee asking for a yellow, or if the faking has been good enough, a red card for a rival:

Hehe, you sound like the average antibarcelonista on every football forum out there right now. I could for example link you to a fine example of Chelsea referee surrounding or a billion dive videos on youtube, but I'm not interested in the endless useless back-and-forth shitslinging out there. So let's just agree that Barca is the only and worst team diving out there and they actually play like a 5th division team but only advance on UEFA and referee help. Have a nice day too. :)

Last edited:
If you went through any game or team like that, going through slowmo gifs with a magnifying glass you could find some pretty nasty stuff. If the game had been some Almeria - Zaragoza, would've anyone given a shit?

And why is it that Mourinho's team gets booked against Barca? Ref bias? Sure:

[A handful of gifs]

You can try to justify anything bad Bar?a players do with the most random excuses, but please, don't do the same thing you are acussing others of doing. I also wish you a good day (in a genuine way, not faking it. ;) )

Last edited:
Kick both sides out and we'll have a United v Shalke final. Sorted :thumbup:

You can try to justify anything bad Bar?a players do with the most random excuses, but please, don't do the same thing you are acussing others of doing. I also wish you a good day (in a genuine way, not faking it. ;) )

Nothing personal to you or anyone in this thread, what I mainly meant was the big fuss about the Pepe-Alves gif everywhere and people analyzing gifs and pictures later on and blaming the refs. I wasn't pointing out refereeing mistakes, just that Mourinho makes his team play very aggressive yet complains whenever they get booked. I agree that Barca players should've gotten cards for diving, Marcelo should've gotten a card for his stomp etc, but as long as the refereeing system stays like this and video replays for the referees aren't allowed, I think it's pointless to whine about things which are basically impossible to see by the referee. In the end the referee mistakes even out anyway.

What I've been defending is Barcelona's play, I never defended the acting. I think diving is stupid and I've always thought Busquets is an idiot. But there are divers in every single team and I think it's stupid to judge the teams by that. It's absurd to say that the dives were the reason why Barca won the game.

If the final is going to be ManU - Barcelona, I hope ManU can play a more attacking strategy. At least they should have a better defense than RMA. Most teams play so defensive against Barcelona that most of the game is spent in the midfield. The wednesday Clasico wasn't exactly an entertaining game for example. Of course Madrid had to play defensive to avoid what happened in November but it kills the games off pretty well.

I hope the Champions League is going to be a bit more exciting next year, way too many games have been over after the first leg this season. IMO Inter - Bayern pair was the only one so far that offered really good entertainment over 2 games. In general the Europa League games have been better than the UCL games, even if most of the semis and quarters were over after the first leg as well.

Last edited:
Mourinho's media game just fucking disgusts me. He has a completely black and white view on everything and is trying to get everyone on his side with his sayings. He's quick to complain after every ref decision against him, but his selective memory forgets everything that's gone his way (Porto going through Deportivo in the UCL in 2004 etc). He makes a big deal about RMA finishing games with 10 players but forgets why the reds were given. Like in November when Ramos got sent off in the 5-0 loss to Barcelona. First he did a brutal tackle on Messi and went on to shove his international teammates Puyol and Xavi in the face after the tackle. This was on 93rd minute with RMA five goals down, but of course Mourinho only points out a red card against Barca. When you ask your players to play rough, don't cry if you get punished.

Another funny thing is when Mourinho was accused of playing too defensive last week, he replied that the titles are the only thing that matters, not how they were won. Then, after the defeat on wednesday he immediately went on to say that he'd be ashamed to win like Guardiola did. Wait, only titles mattered right?

That's what make Mourinho a genius IMO. He makes headlines when his teams play poorly to deflect criticism off his team. It takes a lot of pressure off them.

Mourinho is no genius, he's a pretentious douchebag. All his managerial skills are overshadowed by the bullshit he spouts every single time he loses. He can't just stand there and say "Hey, they were better, we lost", it's always something either the Ref, Barcelona's goal was undersized, it rained only on his players, Godly intervention...
He's also the biggest hypocrite out there, complaining about disciplinary matters when he himself bends everything at every turn, every chance to cheat is taken advantage of. Like when he made Sergio Ramos and Idk who else get sent off so their yellow cards would clear after the one match ban, or when he got sent off the pitch and stood there near the assistant manager to give him notes and decide the subs. He did it again last match, got red carded and didn't leave the pitch as he should.
Pepe is a hot headed dirtbag who can't take being dominated like Bar?a does (75% ball possession for instance) and then goes crazy. It's not the first time and I doubt it's the last, so he deserves the red card. I would have done the same if I was the ref, he was an injury waiting to happen. Mourinho insists he didn't deserve a red, but also doesn't comment how Marcelo deserved one and didn't get it cos the ref didn't see it, stomping on a fallen player like that.

This whole thing is the biggest case of sour grapes I've seen so far. "Mou" should count himself lucky that he wasn't banned for more matches than he did, instead of provoking, trying to get banned from more.

Other than that, I don't think anyone can say with a serious face the result wasn't justified. Madrid played badly even with all their players, and were dominated by Bar?a. The two goals, specially the second one, were great. Messi is really the best player in the world.

Last edited:
Bar?a's style of playing reminds me of this. The audio is in Spanish but if you watch from 1:10 to 1:30 you'll get what I'm trying to say:

Of course, having Messi allows them to spend 70 minutes doing absolutely nothing with the ball, knowing that the Argentinian can decide a match in a few seconds.

But I find the way they play extremely, extremely boring...maybe a passive play rule similar to the one which exists in handball should be introduced in football. :)