The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

BBC Sport TV has shown the pictures of the football Gods of Brasil arriving in South Africa today.
However, they have been beaten to the punch by Australia, who arrived yesterday to make sure the World Cup 2010 party gets going.

Go Aussies!
(Now no Kiwi or English jokes please, about the Aussies probably being the first to leave as well. :rolleyes:)

BBC Sport ? World Cup News Round Up 27th May

News LOL of the Day

BBC Sport said:
Most Germans would prefer to watch their team contest the World Cup final than have sex with their partners, according to a survey in the country's Reader's Digest magazine.

:lol:

Other News

BBC Sport said:
More than 160,000 World Cup tickets are still available with the tournament kickoff just two weeks away, according to Fifa. None of the 64 games are sold out.

Britain's trade unions are asking companies to let employees watch the World Cup at work to prevent them from faking sickness during England matches.
"Rather than impose a blanket ban on football, and run the risk of demotivating staff and losing hours through unauthorised sick days, we would encourage employers to let people watch the games and claim back their time afterwards," said TUC general secretary Brendan Barber.

England coach Fabio Capello said he would feel uncomfortable singing the England national anthem, God Save The Queen, at the World Cup. "The anthem? I know the words to it, but I don't think it's right to sing an anthem which is not from my country, even though I get goose pimples when I hear it," he told Italian channel Sky Sport 24.

Meanwhile, the Argentina squad at the World Cup have received a conditional green light to have sex during the tournament.
"The players will be able to have sex during the World Cup in South Africa, but with regular partners and without Champagne or other drinks," team doctor Donato Villami told Radio Del Plata.

Shagtastic for the Argentineans! :cool:

p1_edu_0222.jpg

Oh Edu du du du we love you ou ou ou

Most Americans are too involved in the NBA and Baseball at the moment to care one jot.

Most, yes. But those of us who care take it quite seriously.

The main problem is soccer fans here just root for the countries of their lineage, instead of the US.

Good thing that Russia, Ukraine, Poland and Belarus aren't involved, and that I'm so distantly removed from my Eastern European ancestry that I don't care, then.

COME ON YOU YANKS!

I'm very close to my German and Greek roots, but when it comes to the World Cup it's USA all the way baby! Even though it would be way easier to be a Germany fan.

Warmup Matches
BBC Sport - South Africa defeat Colombia in World Cup warm-up

BBC Sport - Brazil to play Zimbabwe and Tanzania in friendlies

News

BBC Sport ? Friday 28th May News Roundup said:
Friday's World Cup round-up

German chancellor Angela Merkel will pay a private visit to the national team on Monday in order to have dinner with the players and coaching staff at their northern Italian training base before they head to South Africa for the World Cup.

Brazil goalkeeper Julio Cesar has complained about the new ball that will be used during the World Cup, saying it looks like something from a "grocery store".

Cesar said: "They are always trying to make things difficult for the goalkeepers." But he later joked that he only has himself to blame for choosing to play in that position.

Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o says his detractors should "shut up" and stop criticising his performances for the national team.

Former Cameroon great Roger Milla, who led Cameroon to the quarter-finals at the 1990 World Cup, has claimed Eto'o has not played as well for the national team as he has for Inter Milan.

But Eto'o retorted: "They must respect me, and they must shut up, really shut up... because playing in the quarterfinal of a World Cup is not the same as winning the World Cup."

Thousands of South Africans were left disappointed after being unable to buy the last 160,000 World Cup tickets, despite camping out at ticket booths through the night.

Technical problems prevented the sale of tickets, including newly released seats for the opener and the final.

Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke explained: "I would like to sincerely apologise to all the fans that have been affected by the problems in the ticketing sales system.

"We have already demanded a detailed report from our service provider Match AG on the causes of these problems and are expecting that they solve the situation very soon."

Colombian players have had money stolen from their hotel rooms in Johannesburg prior to a friendly against South Africa. Two hotel employees were charged with theft on Thursday - the same day Colombia were beaten 2-1 by South Africa.

The United States government have issued a travel alert to US citizens living in South Africa or travelling there for the World Cup advising them to use rental cars rather than public transport and to keep car doors and windows locked.

Middlesbrough striker Chris Killen will miss New Zealand's World Cup warm-up match against fellow finalists Serbia on Saturday because he is getting married.

The chairman of Football Federation Australia has admitted that squabbling among football codes over stadium usage may have hurt Australia's bid to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup.

The Greek football federation says defender Vassilis Torosidis will be available for World Cup selection after recovering from an ankle injury.

The 24-year-old rejoined training at Greece's camp at Bad Ragaz, Switzerland, ahead of the 1 June deadline for the submission of the final squad.

BBC Sport ? Friday 28th May News Roundup

Depending how much of it is hitting the fan elsewhere in the world, I have a hunch that President Obama will also have a ?private? visit to the World Cup, as may well David Cameron the new UK PM.

:)

Naw - they will want some blond air head bimbo to come for a visit not David "posh" Cameron - he probably rowed or played Rugby any how. Football is an oiks game.

Serbia plays NZ tonight (Aus/NZ time) in a warm up match in Austria.

The main problem is soccer fans here just root for the countries of their lineage, instead of the US.

I support England (my country of birth) as well as the USA (my country of residence). They tend to have two different sets of expectations from international performance so it's pretty easy to be able to support both. However, I don't think I'm going to be able to watch on the 12th of June. I'll probably be in a sports bar getting so drunk that I don't care what happens.

Naw - they will want some blond air head bimbo to come for a visit not David "posh" Cameron - he probably rowed or played Rugby any how. Football is an oiks game.

Oh you are spot on, there will be a whole series of random celebs trailing out to the England camp or matches as well. It is good coverage for the sponsors and the team gets to break up the monotony of being in a hotel or training ground for weeks on end.

A visit from the PM might enhance his appeal to the oiks, who outnumber the toffs by a considerable margin. Also, David Cameron would be able to schmooze with some black African politicians, thus enhancing his international profile. Win all around.

And this weekends International and friendly World Cup 2010 warm up matches.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, 29 May 2010
International Match

Azerbaijan v FYR Macedonia, 17:30
Congo DR OFF North Korea
Hungary v Germany, 19:00
Iceland v Andorra, 20:00
Lithuania OFF Croatia, 19:30
New Zealand v Serbia, 16:15
Norway v Montenegro, 15:00
Poland v Finland, 16:00
Slovakia v Cameroon, 13:00
Spain v Saudi Arabia, 17:00
Sweden v Bosnia-Hercegovina, 18:00
Ukraine v Romania, 18:30
United Arab Emirates v Moldova, 16:00
USA v Turkey, 19:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, 30 May 2010

International Match

Belarus v South Korea, 14:00
Chile v Northern Ireland, 21:00
Japan v England, 13:15
Mexico v Gambia, 16:00
Nigeria v Colombia, 19:00
Paraguay v Ivory Coast, 16:00
Tunisia v France, 20:00
Venezuela v Canada, 00:30

:)
EDIT on Sunday Results
Sunday, 30 May 2010

International Match
Belarus 1-0 South Korea
Japan 1-2 England
Mexico 5-1 Gambia
Paraguay 2-2 Ivory Coast
Venezuela 1-1 Canada

Saturday, 29 May 2010

International Match
Azerbaijan 1-3 FYR Macedonia
Hungary 0-3 Germany
Iceland 4-0 Andorra
New Zealand 1-0 Serbia
Norway 2-1 Montenegro
Poland 0-0 Finland
Slovakia 1-1 Cameroon
Spain 3-2 Saudi Arabia
Sweden 4-2 Bosnia-Hercegovina
Ukraine 3-2 Romania
United Arab Emirates 3-2 Moldova
USA 2-1 Turkey

Good win for the USA. :thumbup:

Last edited:

I am not rooting for either Mexico or the US simply because, despite my heritage, this will be the first World Cup I've paid attention to.

Fabio-Capello-Squad2-copy-2-800_2460040.jpg

Goalkeepers:
Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Strikers: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Walcott is out, other than that no big surprises.

Last edited:
at least cesar, casillas and xavi have all said the "jabulani" is crap. it's supposed to be the roundest and most aerodynamic ball ever but apparently it's very fast and apparently trying to follow the ball's flying trail (is that a word?) is very difficult. we'll see if that means more goals this year.

and what the hell at spain barely beating UAE and england taking a win over japan without making a single goal...not looking very strong, i would've expected spain to win the UAE game at least 3-0. well, i haven't put my money on them yet, perhaps brazil or argentine is the safer bet...