The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

At work I got twelve people watching the game to start cheering, with hand claps, "LET'S GO, MEX-I-CO! LET'S GO, MEX-I-CO!" After the game I felt like I walking on air, I was so elated!! This is what World Cup is all about!

Didn't matter if they were for or against Mexico, it was all about doling out justice for Ireland in my view. Plus, France and Mexico have that whole colonial uprising against the French, much like the US and England.

I really want Spain to win this year, and they didn't play that bad. But what are the chances they will make it through? Also, how many goals does South Africa need against France in order to qualify?

I haven't really found the games that exciting so far, with the exception of a few. Not many goals either. Hopefully things pick up.

I really want Spain to win this year, and they didn't play that bad. But what are the chances they will make it through? Also, how many goals does South Africa need against France in order to qualify?

I haven't really found the games that exciting so far, with the exception of a few. Not many goals either. Hopefully things pick up.

Spain...lots of players i really like and a very impressive team but somehow their game wasn't what you'd expect from all those players. they need to up their ante from the first game because they'll be facing brazil/portugal/ivory coast soon...can't really root for them though because they're in the way of my long-time favorite brazil very soon.
would be nice to see argentina do well, when they get their offensive game going it's just such a pretty sight, so much talent there. argentina-brazil final is still possible...maradona will think he's a god if argentina wins this year.

i still don't understand why dunga left ronaldinho out. sure he's not at his best anymore but after watching their first game they needed someone like him. then again i can't understand much of his decisions anyway. seriously, grafite instead of pato?

At work I got twelve people watching the game to start cheering, with hand claps, "LET'S GO, MEX-I-CO! LET'S GO, MEX-I-CO!" After the game I felt like I walking on air, I was so elated!!
This is what World Cup is all about!

Abso-fuckin-loutely! :thumbsup:
Way to go Jay! :cool:

Only if Uruguay beat Mexico, then South Africa need to beat France by net 6 of the score of combined goals, I think ? sorry! (i.e. Uruguay beat Mexico 3-0, plus RSA also win by 3-0 ) :(

All the first matches have been nervous & negative because of the design of the tournament. Match two of round one from today, is when teams have to start playing like Mexico did today.
:D

Tomorrow is going to be epic. The three teams I'm supporting are all playing, and there's a good chance of a triple victory. If that's the case, I don't believe I will regain consciousness until Sunday.

Considering how Mexico whooped the Frenchies' asses there might just be a chance for us. Apparently anything's possible at this World Cup. XD

Argentina looked the business to day and so did Uruguay too. What the hell is up with France, could not even cheat their way to a win. ...

Considering how Mexico whooped the Frenchies' asses there might just be a chance for us. Apparently anything's possible at this World Cup. XD

That was no surprise, I said before the WC that France would exit goalless. Had France somehow managed to win this one, I'd be more worried about unexpected outcomes.

In any case, we shall see. I expect no less than 2 victories, but 3 is preferable. If England only plays a draw, that would be alright too, so long as they beat Slowvenia.

Spain...lots of players i really like and a very impressive team but somehow their game wasn't what you'd expect from all those players. they need to up their ante from the first game because they'll be facing brazil/portugal/ivory coast soon...can't really root for them though because they're in the way of my long-time favorite brazil very soon.

I still think it was a freak result. Much like vs the USA in the Confederation cup. Spain played much better than Switzerland and clearly dominated but didn't have the luck to actually SCORE a goal. The Swiss on the other hand got lucky and took advantage of the only two defensive mistakes Spain made and scored a (possibly illegal, press here are saying it was offside) goal. I do agree in that it was not Spain's best game though, Villa's performance was way under par... I'd say all the 'Spain is going to win' talk all over the world didn't really do them any good. I think they'll do it much better against Honduras.

As for today! I'll be rooting for Germany, Slovenia and England! Let's see how that goes.

I still think it was a freak result. Much like vs the USA in the Confederation cup. Spain played much better than Switzerland and clearly dominated but didn't have the luck to actually SCORE a goal. The Swiss on the other hand got lucky and took advantage of the only two defensive mistakes Spain made and scored a (possibly illegal, press here are saying it was offside) goal. I do agree in that it was not Spain's best game though, Villa's performance was way under par... I'd say all the 'Spain is going to win' talk all over the world didn't really do them any good. I think they'll do it much better against Honduras.

sure, spain is the better team but still their game imo wasn't what it should be with a team like that, overall it's the best team on paper but something was lacking (goals obviously, but i would've thought they create better chances to score etc). they better do better against honduras...it's honduras for fucks sakes :D

EDIT: lots of cards in the germany - serbia game, 32 mins behind and i think i've counted 5 yellow cards so far?
EDIT2: 36 mins and a second yellow for klose...interesting.
EDIT3: 0-1 serbia! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited: