The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

well, now i can stop caring about soccer. i couldn't believe it when the only team i even had a shred of care for got to the final, so even though i didn't have a stake in this game, it would have been nice to see Holland see it through.

Boohoo!!!!!!!! :cry:

*sob* Well, I guess at least we didn't lose to Germany again. *sob*

Last edited:
Disappointing game, Spain deserved to win in the end. Sadly, this game got overshadowed (like so many on this world cup) by an overzealous ref, making a few questionable decisions.

The upside: NO MORE VUVUZELAS!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Tragic ending. But then again, Holland has learned one lesson: Do NOT screw up your playing in the last minutes. Heitinga you pillock, all of the country was praying to win and in the last minutes you've kicked yourself. Even though I've never wanted Spain to hold the World Cup Trophy, I congratulate them whatsoever... for proving that no matter what, European countries are still able to win the Cup nowadays.

I probably would have found it boring if I didn't really support any of the teams. But Spain is my time, so I was sitting on the edge of my seat the whole time....seriously, I was fucking nervous the whole time. Especially when Robben went 1v1 with Casillas twice...

What's even funnier is that Robben is notorious for diving, yet the time he could legitimately have taken a tumble he stayed on his feet...that's why he was so upset.

David Villa had an off-night, like in the semis. But Iniesta was on. A somewhat beautiful moment in such an UGLY game. Of course considering that the Dutch were playing, it was always going to be ugly. Did the whole team end up getting booked?

Fabregas played well (and really should have started). Both goalkeepers were just fantastic. There were about 4 or 5 opportunities that should have been buried into the back of the net....

Spain 100% deserved to win. Thank Paul!

Spain finally showed of their power and pulled it off. Very happy that game didn't end in penalties. Best team won!

Of course considering that the Dutch were playing, it was always going to be ugly.

What the HELL did a Dutch guy ever do to you!?!!? I've been getting more and more annoyed by your blind hatred against the Dutch, even failing to see some other team's dirty tactics because you were blinded by your stupid hate. Enough of it already, we know you dislike the Dutch, get on with it.

Congrats to Spain. I was rooting for Holland and hoping that Blue Jersey Curse would show its, ahem, "tentacles" over Spain. I was also hoping to have paella or sushi/sashimi of a certain octopus...

Spain played better, always looking to score and showing heart (mainly during overtime), while Holland... well, it's proved once again that they have the best kickboxers in the world... I demand De Jong on UFC now!!

Last edited:
What the HELL did a Dutch guy ever do to you!?!!? I've been getting more and more annoyed by your blind hatred against the Dutch, even failing to see some other team's dirty tactics because you were blinded by your stupid hate. Enough of it already, we know you dislike the Dutch, get on with it.

I dislike the Dutch team, yeah...because of how they play. I like the Netherlands and people from there, so don't confuse what I say with dislike for people that are actually Dutch. In the post you pulled my quote from I gave credit to the Dutch goalkeeper.

I don't think I'm wrong to point out that when the Dutch play, the chances for a fight on the pitch are very great. And I don't fail to see what other teams do...I think my first post on this thread stated that there were some yellows on each side that I don't think should have been given.

In your neg rep you mentioned "blind hatred"....Um, since when does a person need to be justified in their like or dislike of a sports team?

Last edited:
how is it possible that a team that had a worse goal-dif over the course of the entire world cup than the team they beat in the round of 16 match did in one single game deserved to win the cup?

FUCK spain, and FUCK their fucking five 1:0 games in a row. Most undeserved world cup win since 1986. I think I'd have preferred Italy to win, and that's saying something.

On a positive note: both Villa the diamond earing wearing cunt and Sneijder failed, so that makes M?ller the top scorer of the WC.

firecat, just out of curiosity, what do you think of Italy?

Big time divers in general, and they play dirty. Which is surprising considering how talented some of the players are. Personally, I don't like them. I wanted France to win in the last world cup.

I've always liked Brazil, but not in this tournament. I didn't like they way they were playing. That's my issue with Portugal as well. Sure, Spain has some players that embellish fouls....but I don't think as a team anybody can say they play dirty.

Sadly, this game got overshadowed (like so many on this world cup) by an overzealous ref, making a few questionable decisions.

imo the refs line of giving out lots of yellows was a good one. right from the start holland played really dirty (in a league game de jong would've definitely gotten a straight red, perhaps van bommel). the players had to clean up their game a lot when they had a yellow under the belt and he wasn't so happy with the cards when someone already had a yellow so it didn't turn it to a red card fest even with the amount of yellows given. heitinga's second yellow was a bit questionable but it was about time someone was given a red.

the game itself wasn't exactly a thriller but none of spain's matches really have been. boring but it works. nice one to see iniesta score the decider, his game is always nice to watch (excluding his dives just before the goal). last year his goal basically won the champions league for barca when he put the extra time goal into chelsea's net in the semi final and now he scores the only goal in the wc final...brilliant.

sneijder and especially robben seemed very frustrated the whole time. they might've felt they had something to prove after real madrid sold them after last season. silly move by robben to put the ball into the net after his offside. second yellow was close...

by the way, did anyone catch what shorts ramos was wearing in the celebrations? looked like he was wearing some white shorts but he was never in the shot for more than a second so i couldn't see well. i hope he didn't switch in to real madrid shorts. :rolleyes:

edit: interesting golden boot winner as well. i wonder what the odds on that were, someone might've made a good amount of money in bets.
edit2: forlan chosen the best player of the tournament, well deserved! pretty interesting to see messi as a nominee, should've been tevez imo

Last edited:
...right...

your neg rep claimed that my comment was based on nothing. my comment was based on him diving right at the end with 5 mins left to go. he went down clutching his leg, staying down for a eternity claiming a injury and then miraculously he was jumping around when being handed the trophy. he was just trying to waste time by going down and faking a injury. i dislike those who just attempt to gain favor by faking a injury. should be a automatic red card and sending off. thats not to say that other players didn't deserve it either. Holland was guilty of just as much by trying to get a penalty by harassing the ref. just as much as its been seen in other games, Kaka was the victim of a red card that wasn't needed.

Commiserations to the Netherlands, :(

Congratulations to Spain ? World Champions 2010 and well deserved! :thumbsup:

.. and Thank You South Africa, it went rather well, didn?t it! :cool:

(I only came sixth in this thread?s Post Ho? competition. :lol:)