The 2010 South Africa world cup thread!

sucks... I was really hoping Holland would finally take the cup :(

Not (mainly) because Spain won against Germany, but because all the Holland games I watched were fun, and all the Spain games were incredibly boring. But in the end they managed to go 1-0 till the end... Oh well, they definitely deserve it more than the Italians did...

I'm still a little peeved at Adunaphel's remark and neg-rep, so I wanted to state for the record that I was happy with the Netherlands defeated Brazil. But yes, out of the 4 teams left they were my least favorite.

FUCK spain, and FUCK their fucking five 1:0 games in a row.

Agree. Whole thing was a big disappointment. And Webb should give Holland a corner, just before the goal.

I think Heitinga's first yellow was very controversial. Yes, there was a foul, but the ref didn't see it. His first gesture was to continue playing. Only after the Spaniard kept lying on the ground, and his team mates stopped the ball, did the ref give the yellow to Heitinga.
Not cool.

your neg rep claimed that my comment was based on nothing. my comment was based on him diving right at the end with 5 mins left to go. he went down clutching his leg, staying down for a eternity claiming a injury and then miraculously he was jumping around when being handed the trophy. he was just trying to waste time by going down and faking a injury.

He limped onto the podium, and didn't partake in most of the celebrations when they all changed to the red shirts, because he was being treated. I have no idea whom you were looking at, because he wasn't jumping when they got the trophy either...

The most sour part of his whole performance in this game was that he's injured and I'm just hoping it has no effect on his Liverpool season.

He limped onto the podium, and didn't partake in most of the celebrations when they all changed to the red shirts, because he was being treated. I have no idea whom you were looking at, because he wasn't jumping when they got the trophy either...

The most sour part of his whole performance in this game was that he's injured and I'm just hoping it has no effect on his Liverpool season.
Torres looked like he pulled up with a knee problem again, but the good news is that he was standing at the end but not jumping around with the rest.

Doesn?t look good to me, sorry about that for you & Liverpool. :(

Leave it to me to get sick during a World Cup final. I was in the bathroom throwing up when Iniesta scored. :(

Sucks for the Dutch, I was really hoping they'd win.

Torres looked like he pulled up with a knee problem again, but the good news is that he was standing at the end but not jumping around with the rest.

Yeah, it doesn't look that great, though I take it as a blessing in disguise in that he is more likely to stay with us this season, than leave, if he is injured. Crossing fingers for the best on both fronts.

Yeah, it doesn't look that great, though I take it as a blessing in disguise in that he is more likely to stay with us this season, than leave, if he is injured. Crossing fingers for the best on both fronts.

Right...so the general concensus is that I didn't miss much tonight?

At about 9.30 we asked one of the waiters if he knew the score, and told us it was 0:0, 10 minutes into extra time. We all got a little excited, and I was slightly annoyed thinking I was missing one hell of a game. :(

Then my friend's dad (who was out having dinner down the road with my dad) rang my friend and told her about what happened.

So really, was it that disappointing?

It wasn't disappointing, just something the casual fan probably wouldn't enjoy. I thought it was a good game, bar some silly tackles and questionable refereeing.

This match was exciting. The pressure was very high.

Heitinga's first foul could have been red.

Overall, this was a very close match and the result reflects that. There is no doubt both teams had earned their place in the finals. None whatsoever.

In your neg rep you mentioned "blind hatred"....Um, since when does a person need to be justified in their like or dislike of a sports team?

Everyone is free to like and dislike who they want, but when they feel they need to make defamatory remarks about a team in almost every single post in a thread about the sport, it gets old real fast.

You're seeing something that isn't there. And the few examples you could probably pull are in the heat of the moment...i.e. during a very tense world cup final, or tense semi-final etc.

But seriously, do you deny the fact that Netherlands went out there to purposefully use hard challenges as part of their tactic to beat Spain? I just don't find that enjoyable to watch, and when it's against a team I support...naturally it riles me up. To each their own I guess. But it's certainly not "defamatory"...I am perfectly just in what I said, especially when you have players ninja kicking their opponents.

Anyway, I was reading an article about how Spain scored the least amount of goals out of all previous winners (they won each game since the knockout stages 1-0). But I don't really think that was their fault. They played attacking football...they weren't heavy on the defense. It seemed to me at least, that their opponents played very defensive games which made it that much harder to score.

Last edited:
d*mn d*mn and d*mn again! this sucked so bad... (stupid ref) But well done to Spain. We watched the game with about 20 Dutch and 500 Spanish people in the pub yesterday. Glad we walked out after the goal, the whole place exploded....

Lupo, I know how that feels.
I was in Switzerland in 2006 and everybody cheered when Italy won against Germany. Worst part is when you know they cheered not because Italy won but your team lost.

So anybody making bad jokes about the colour orange: Go stuff yourself. I mean it. You do not add insult to injury. Ever. You never attack the colours of a nation. Ever. This was so cheap it can't even begin to say how much I despise this.

But I thing the Dutch were very lucky they didn't have players sent off during the first half. This was way beyond rough. This is no way to play and it wouldn't have been a good way to win.
The result isn't the only thing that counts.

But as rough as the match was, there were signs of fair play. On player gets injured and needs treatment. The other team kicks the ball away so he can recover. They get handed the ball back because they did this so the guy could get some treatment. This is what it is about.

But as rough as the match was, there were signs of fair play. On player gets injured and needs treatment. The other team kicks the ball away so he can recover. They get handed the ball back because they did this so the guy could get some treatment. This is what it is about.

It's pretty much expected. However Van Persie could have played the corner, but didn't...which is a good example of fair play. Enough time will pass, and nobody will remember the little or big things...just that Spain won.

*Edit

Shame that can't be said about the last world cup. I don't think anybody will forget the Zidane headbutt.

Last edited:
Well, I remember the Archdevil Materazzi(who is a certified a-hole) provoked Zidane to that headbutt. I can still see it before my eyes. This looked so...helpless. This was not the exit Zidane deserved.
Don't get me even started about Italy in 2006. Or Argentina. But those were different teams. This year both of them didn't behave in such a despicable manner.
Speaking of Argentina, I really had hoped Maradona would bow out after the championship. He is about to ruin Messi.

I will remember the fair play moments of 2010. There were quite a few.

Last edited:
It's pretty much expected. However Van Persie could have played the corner, but didn't...which is a good example of fair play. Enough time will pass, and nobody will remember the little or big things...just that Spain won.

my heart was beating pretty fast when the dutch returned the ball to casillas and it went over him...man, i wonder what that could've been a nasty goal and a nasty final.

sneijder, the man who never dives :)rolleyes:) was bitching after the game about iniesta's dives and how he should've gotten two yellows for that and saying there was an offside before the goal, right. robben's saying how puyol should've had his second yellow as well when he went 1-on-1 with casillas. kuyt was blaming the ref as well saying it was on spain's side. come on boys...