The 2020 elections, news, and discussions

The last two presidential elections have been a clear choice between the lesser of two evils.

The first 2 years won't amount to much, but it won't be because of Biden. It'll be because of the Senate, which will be a 50-50 split at best.

You'll need a bigger margin than that to pass anything even the remotest bit partisan. Especially when one of the Democrats in the Senate is Joe Manchin, who's basically a Republican.

Progressives will really need to go out and vote in the 2022 midterms. Being cynical about it is exactly how nothing will get done. I feel like the path for America to fix itself right now is still on a knife edge.

Last edited:
The first 2 years won't amount to much, but it won't be because of Biden. It'll be because of the Senate, which will be a 50-50 split at best.

You'll need a bigger margin than that to pass anything even the remotest bit partisan. Especially when one of the Democrats in the Senate is Joe Manchin, who's basically a Republican.

Progressives will really need to go out and vote in the 2022 midterms. I feel like the path for America to fix itself right now is still on a knife edge.

The problem I am seeing with this is it almost feels like it's Democrat or nothing which is not what I want. Republicans are cunts, but we still have Green and Liberal parties which feels like about as important as Lord Buckethead's party.

I know, but... that's the two party system. You still have to choose - because if you don't, the world still goes to shit.

In an ideal world, we'd have more parties, we'd have no electoral college, we'd have proportional representation, we'd have ranked choice voting, and... yeah. That would be a fairer world, where you'd be able to vote for who you truly want. But right now, it's not the one we live in, and it's not the world we're ever going to live in if we keep letting the bad guys win.

I'm still extremely alarmed about the future after this election. This needed to be a blowout win for Biden. He needed to be given a mandate, he needed 55 Senate seats, he needed to be given the space and the resources to pass every single one of his campaign promises. And only then would that be just about enough work for 4 years to put the country back on the right track. And he hasn't been given that.

The progressive wing of the party hasn't been given the space or resources to push him to the left either. They can't, not when anything he proposes might only barely pass.

Which means we're going to have more gridlock. More of nothing happening, more faith lost in the system and in democracy, more proto-fascism from the right, which means America is still heading down the same path.

Now imagine the meltdown that will happen when Fox News makes that call...
It might be interesting to watch how they develop in the future. After the disastrous GWB and Trump presidencies, will they stick to their guns and keep demonising anyone who isn’t a Republican or will they realise that there’s a more promising future in admitting that even Democrats are human beings?

It might be interesting to watch how they develop in the future. After the disastrous GWB and Trump presidencies, will they stick to their guns and keep demonising anyone who isn’t a Republican or will they realise that there’s a more promising future in admitting that even Democrats are human beings?
Yes, that will be interesting to see.

It will also be interesting to see how long it will take them and the GOP to throw the Trumps under the bus.

I hate to admit this, but I broke down and voted for Biden after Trump got corona virus. I guess some other Georgians must have felt the same way. I am not and will not be a fan of Biden, who I view as being anti-progressive. I am glad that he is in the lead, though.
Congratulations on exercising your civic duty

It has been encouraging to see Fox increasingly breaking away from Trump. Rupert Murdoch's apparently never really liked him, but they've basically been held hostage by their own viewership for the past 4 years.

If Fox becomes more reasonable though, I fear the right-wing base won't follow. They'll just become more reliant on social media.

It has been encouraging to see Fox increasingly breaking away from Trump. Rupert Murdoch's apparently never really liked him, but they've basically been held hostage by their own viewership for the past 4 years.

If Fox becomes more reasonable though, I fear the right-wing base won't follow. They'll just become more reliant on social media.
I honestly think the reliance on social media is a general trend and not just among people on the right. I think a lack of interaction with the other side tends to breed radicalization.

I kind of want to get washable window paint on my car and write "Stop whining, you sound like the democrats in 2016."

Remember to farm karma when it gets damaged in any way ;)

I honestly think the reliance on social media is a general trend and not just among people on the right. I think a lack of interaction with the other side tends to breed radicalization.

I don't know what you mean...

cccp.jpg

I kind of want to get washable window paint on my car and write "Stop whining, you sound like the democrats in 2016."

UniPosca paint markers are the best I have found.

Remember to farm karma when it gets damaged in any way ;)

And that's exactly why I won't do it. It's why I don't stickers or signage anywhere.

That's the first call in, Biden is winrar
Not so fast. Georgia is close enough that there is going to be a recount and the Electoral College still has to meet (there has been a small issue with Trump urging faithless voting).

how the fuck has Alaska been stuck at 50%? Someone needs to turn off and on Alaska.

Not so fast. Georgia is close enough that there is going to be a recount and the Electoral College still has to meet (there has been a small issue with Trump urging faithless voting).
Ah Georgia (and Arizona) won't be needed, Pennsylvania alone takes Biden to 273. Other news desks should've really called Pennsylvania by now though...

how the fuck has Alaska been stuck at 50%? Someone needs to turn off and on Alaska.
They've got this thing where they're reporting in-person votes first, and only announcing mail-in votes like a week later.
Because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯