Someone Else's Problem: The £480 Lexus

A quick update:
UiYBF4g.jpg

0Kd7yMU.jpg

Finally got around on Friday to get the registration procedure started, allowing me to drive 3 months with the UK plates.

Two days later (today):

I'll go enjoy the Lexus on a sunny day and I walk up to this:

sZEUU7T.jpg

JWES8vM.jpg

r0cWvcd.jpg
WKhOq8o.jpg

Whelp.. I guess not

The good thing here is that this was one of those occasions which never happens, the person who drove their van into it left their contact details and will handle the insurance. (I needed a new front bumper anyway) so, I can sort of count this as a win.

I'm glad they left their info! That shunt looks hard.

I'm glad they left their info! That shunt looks hard.

Yeah, whoever (and whatever car) it was, must have driven quite harshly into that...

is that front mounting bracket stock???
that thing must weigh a ton!!

and looks totally overkill for its purpose...

The good thing here is that this was one of those occasions which never happens, the person who drove their van into it left their contact details and will handle the insurance. (I needed a new front bumper anyway) so, I can sort of count this as a win.

You can't be too mad then, obviously it sucks but accidents happen!

is that front mounting bracket stock???
that thing must weigh a ton!!

and looks totally overkill for its purpose...

I think it's some sort of aftermarket tow rig, as the car seems to have a history of being towed behind a caravan for holiday purposes and the front bumper has a trailer hookup for brake lights etc. I presume the beam will get binned the first thing when the car is repaired again.

I think it's some sort of aftermarket tow rig, as the car seems to have a history of being towed behind a caravan for holiday purposes and the front bumper has a trailer hookup for brake lights etc. I presume the beam will get binned the first thing when the car is repaired again.
Weight savings!

I'd say you got out of this pretty lucky. Is anything besides the bumper (and possibly a few clips) broken? He could've done way more damage to your car. And you will be paid by insurance to fix a previously broken part.

Also:
I had to Google such a thing, but I've never seen a caravan towing a car that's not on a trailer. Is it really that much cheaper to modify a car so it can be towed by a caravan than buying a separate trailer, which would also save the tyres and to an extent the suspension as well?

Last edited:
I don't know, the motorhome people are weird enough to begin with. :p

TBH, I’m surprised just a handwritten note is enough. Here they’d want a police report before insurance would do anything. Usually people are shitty wouldn’t help you.

2020 Update:
Finally got around to put the insurance money to a good use:

4IC9ppJ.jpg

With the new bumper Dave brought in a 205 from the UK that has been sitting in the garage for a bit:
ZWKFGeJ.jpg

With the weird UK caravaner hitching thing for scale (a new slam panel installed):

6cSL2WF.jpg

(the driver's light was a too worn on the inside for polishing to make a noticeable difference)

Icetrackmeet rear bumper damage got fixed too, as well as some aluminIUM rot:
zIQvo68.jpg

IwM4uCx.jpg

It is a great feeling to walk around the car and not anymore look: "I should get that fixed"

What was done:

- New bumper installed properly with the slam panel fitted where the hitch thing was
- The rear hatch repainted
- Rear bumper fixed and repainted
- Driver's rear quarter panel derusted and painted

Cost: 700e

Last edited:
Definitely, it has now lost all of its visual beaterness in one go. It now looks like it's worth money!

UK secondhand market prices are ridonculous. For 480£ and a car that looks so good, I wouldn't even mind having RHD steering wheel.

Ossum.

Forgot forums existed, but sold the Lex few months ago before MOT ran out. Guy came in from central Finland and upon seeing the car he basically asked where should we pick up the other tyres. Quickest car sale I've ever had.

Attachments

• VID_20231214_211059_986.mp4
    2.5 MB
Ha, I just now noticed the Car vs. America shirt in the first pic. I just found my version of that shirt today! LOL.