The adult VTEC: 2006 Acura TL

I take the bus to work so winter driving isn't a huge issue. I wanted a comfortable fast highway cruiser that I could fit stuff into (skis, groceries, dead bodies, etc) and that I could comfortably drive with snow boots on (the Miata's pedals are so close together that it's difficult to even get behind the wheel in boots). I looked at Subarus but highway comfort was more important than AWD; drove an Infiniti FX35 and didn't like it; so the TL won.

I take the bus to work so winter driving isn't a huge issue. I wanted a comfortable fast highway cruiser that I could fit stuff into (skis, groceries, dead bodies, etc) and that I could comfortably drive with snow boots on (the Miata's pedals are so close together that it's difficult to even get behind the wheel in boots). I looked at Subarus but highway comfort was more important than AWD; drove an Infiniti FX35 and didn't like it; so the TL won.

There are lots of highway miles between you and next year's Woodward Dream Cruise.

I take the bus to work...

And that right there probably makes the poor gas mileage worth it. Nice ride LeVeL. :)

I've always liked these, congratulations on the purchase!

You know what I'm like - I wonder how hard it would be to update the body panels to make it look like a TL A Spec...since they are mechanically identical.

J32 and a manual! :thumbup:

You've done very good, Sir.

I wish we would get those...

Oi second every line here.

That's what we europeans know as an accord, although the back is different.

I always liked those Accords, personally.

But we don't get the nice V6 engines...
^THIS^, also we don't get AWD options and noise_bust_trim is pathetic ...japaneese.

Btw i like that tail better, cause it hasn't got thoose ricer roundies.

:nod: The European Accord is the Acura TSX... ...comes with a 2.0L 4-cyl and an open diff,
Only consolation of which is brake power distribute system, which works like a tank on slippery roads. (similar to Merc's 4ETS or Vw's 4motion) But then again, i'd rather paid more for LSD oil change, than for few more sets o front pads.

Anyway, i envy/congrat/salute you, sir.

Whoa, you're like...an actual grown-up, and shit.

*rides off on the motogutsy*

You know what I'm like - I wonder how hard it would be to update the body panels to make it look like a TL A Spec...since they are mechanically identical.
Your first comment in a thread about a Honda product is how to rice it? Good to know there are some constants in this world.

I seem to recall reading that those panels cost close to or a little over a grand. I'm generally not a fan of body "kits", although I've always wanted a front lip for the Miata.

Whoa, you're like...an actual grown-up, and shit.

*rides off on the motogutsy*
:cry:

Your first comment in a thread about a Honda product is how to rice it? Good to know there are some constants in this world.

I am talking about installing OEM equipment on a car that could have been spec-ed with it from the factory, just didn't. How is that rice?

A-spec cars also had different suspension, wheels, and steering wheel. It would be akin to putting an M5 front bumper on a 540i. Not my cup or tea. Besides, the idea here is to stay subtle and fly under the radar - I already have a car that sticks out and I'm not big on attracting attention.

Okay, fair enough. It's your car after all, and I still like it.

That. Ricey.

I disagree. It is OEM equipment, and a 540i was available with the M Sport package that brought it looking closer to the M5. Plus, it looks better than the base bumper. I would understand it calling it rice if it was an aftermarket or another brand bumper, but it is a BMW bumper that can be directly swapped.

Looks are subjective and a matter of personal preference. I started this by merely asking how hard/how much would it be to get the A Spec bodykit, LeVeL said he didn't like it and we moved on.

I don't care if it's factory, but if it's meant to look like a higher-performance or more-expensive model without any real changes underneath, then I call it rice; M-sport and AMG appearance packages fall under this category IMO. I just found it funny that you of all people were the first to bring it up.

Last edited:
:nod: The European Accord is the Acura TSX here in the US.

I stand corrected. :) I remembed it was the TL for some reason, but they do look very similar. Do they share any greasy bits?

Last edited:
The A-Spec body bits on actual factory-stock A-Spec cars was part of the package that included the few other items mentioned previously that made the cars differ from the regular TLs. I don't think that's ricey, although I don't particularly care for the look. However, putting the A-Spec bodykit on a regular TL would qualify as ricey in my book. Likewise, an M5 bumper on a regular 540i would be rice; the same bumper as stock on the 540i M Sport is factory rice but I can let it slide. Basically, if the A-Spec body was the only difference between it and the regular TL, I wouldn't necessarily mind someone adding those bits to said regular TL, though I'd view even the A-Spec as factory rice; however, because there were other differences, adding the A-Spec bodykit to my TL would be ricey and, in my opinion, hardly better than an aftermarket bodykit.

TL;DR - no cosmetic modifications for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I stand corrected. :) I remembed it was the TL for some reason, but they do look very similar. Do they share any greasy bits?
I don't believe they do but don't take my word for it. Certainly different engines and at least the manual transmissions are different. I'm pretty sure the chassis are different too.

I prefer to judge each car on a case by case basis. Adding a tasteful E39 M5 lip spoiler to your 540i is perfectly fine to me. Adding a giant wing to the back of your Prius? Not so much. Trying to make your ecobox look like a race car is one thing, giving your sport sedan an every so slightly more aggressive look is something else entirely. Especially if you're using factory OEM parts designed for the car, which are often far more tasteful than anything you'll find aftermarket.

A couple of (poor quality) low light interior pics:

And a quick 2-3-4 pull in an attempt to capture what the engine sounds like. I'll try to get a better quality video when my dashcam arrives.

In general, the car is virtually silent. Although the engine is muted and below, say, 3500 you don't really hear it much at all, road and wind noise is filtered out so well that virtually all you hear is the muted engine sound. It's a supreme tourer.

Last edited: