The aftermath: the smell of cooking, and how to get rid of it?

Labcoatguy

Forum Addict
Car(s)
#Jaguar #XKR #XJR, #Saab #9-3 #9-5 #900
Occasionally, I'll fry food. With things like French Toast, there is no real other way, unless there's a technique involving a toaster oven. Afterwards, my apartment gets this reek of grease that takes a day or two to eventually evaporate. Is there anything I can leave out or spray in the air to get rid of this smell? Short of opening windows and blowing air out, which is a bad idea in winter, I can't think of a way around this problem.

Occasionally, I'll fry food. With things like French Toast, there is no real other way, unless there's a technique involving a toaster oven. Afterwards, my apartment gets this reek of grease that takes a day or two to eventually evaporate. Is there anything I can leave out or spray in the air to get rid of this smell? Short of opening windows and blowing air out, which is a bad idea in winter, I can't think of a way around this problem.

omg YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!

French toast is literally one of the only things I can make, yet its my bread and butter (pun intended).

Here's how to do it + my secret special awesome recipe:

Several eggs well beaten up
add some milk
add a little almond extract and vanilla extract
Put a pan on the stove halfway between medium and high setting
spray the pan with "Pam" non stick
soak your bread in the batter
put on the pan

No need whatsoever to fry. No wonder Jezza gives Americans a bad name :p :p

I have no complaints about the smell of Frensh Toast. I also don't notice it as a "greasy" smell, and I haven't baked french toast in like 15 years.

I will say this about french toast: Safeway's "french toast bread" is AWSOME! It's got vanilla, cinnamon, and little pockets of maple syrup. Mmm.... I know, it's like using velveta, but it's good. :p

So...you're saying you deep fry your french toast? How's about just heating it up on a hot skillet or griddle? Deep-fried bread...you're essentially eating a doughnut.

If you have a nasty smell left after cooking, then you're doing something wrong. Even when you fry something, you'll only get a smell if there is smoke, and if there's smoke you've got the temp too high.

And I am shocked no one uses a dash of nutmeg and brown sugar in their batter when it comes to french toast, have I taught you people nothing?

I'm not deep-frying my French toast, just frying in a pan with half a teaspoon of oil to keep it from sticking....but it is on a gas stove, and I'm still trying to figure out how much flame is too much. Tomorrow morning I'll try a smaller flame and see if that helps. Thanks all.

I'm not deep-frying my French toast, just frying in a pan with half a teaspoon of oil to keep it from sticking....but it is on a gas stove, and I'm still trying to figure out how much flame is too much. Tomorrow morning I'll try a smaller flame and see if that helps. Thanks all.

Definitely way too hot. I use gas stove as well and haven't had that happen since I was 10 or so :p

Also are you leaving your butter in the pan too long before throwing down the french toast?

Definitely way too hot. I use gas stove as well and haven't had that happen since I was 10 or so :p

Also are you leaving your butter in the pan too long before throwing down the french toast?

Hmm, probably.

brew some coffee. it'll smell wonderful instead of the grease smell.

and when you're making french toast, don't use too much fat and don't get the pan too hot. every fat has a smoke point and it'll stink everything up.