The allure of Jaguar, I am powerless

So as many of you know from my other post I has an S-Type V8 and hated it. The thing broke down all the time and I was dead happy the day it was traded in for the S Class.

Just out of curiosity, mind informing me of some (or many) of the issue's you've had with the car.

Are they usually small irritants (window not wanting to go all the way down, or a door lock not working properly), big irritants (A/c constantly breaking in the summer), or things that left you on the side of the road?

Sure, while the time lime is a little foggy the problem started with ABS sensor failing around 18k, then the fuel pump (twice, once with the fuel gauge reading 2/3 tanks no matter how full or empty it was) and then things started to really go down hill. Then the started started this issue where it would start to surge even as you where on the gas, turned out to be a faulty TB that would try to give revs as I would come to a stop, not good as I almost rear ended someone. I thought i was crazy till one day I told my dad to drive it, and the same thing happen to him. Then the whole engine needed to be rebuilt due to a knocking issue. After that, the tq converter went out, on a bridge mind you which was very fun.

And after that, the electronic parking brake started to fail, where it would just not engage or it would just lock up, with it once happening as i was pulling out of the garage. The dealer said it was caused by the fact i lived on a hill and sometimes i would park it on the hill and on the driveway!!!! I nearly lost it then, explained to them if they did not forget i live in San Francisco (as was the dealer... on Van Ness which is a hill itself) and that was it. The car had to go after that.

I own a Alfa Romeo, I know all about breaking down, but I really really love them. I just do. (Why do you think I keep the VL Commodore?)

I assume its the same with Jags :)

Remember the best looking girls never have the best personality, but hey we all keep trying to go top shelf ;)

When British cars break down consistently, it's because they have "character"...yet when American cars break down, it's because they're poorly made by overpaid union workers?

:?

British Leyland?

Man, and I thought I was alone. All of my friends prefer Mercs and Bimmers, but I adore Jags. Even though most won't appreciate the "retro" styling, I think it looks much better than a sever series BMW, the Lexus LS460, and even the S class. I don't care what the magazines have said about the XJ, but I love it. One of the teachers of our school has a late 80s Jag XJ in british racing green. Absolutely fantastic.....

Same here, I dunno why, but getting out of our Jag just makes you feel so much cooler, even if it is just a X type painted in wannabe XJ artic gold.

So what's the allure of being regarded as an old man?

Well, that's until someone actually looks at you and realizes you are not an old man.

But then they'll think you don't have any money so you have to borrow your dads car..

I think British cars, and especially Jaguars, have this very distinct character to them. If I drove a Jag around town, I would feel like a member of the British upper class, rather than a pimp making money off girls. Too bad most British cars are unreliable, but if I had the cash I would buy a Jaguar XJR over a Merc S Class.

I think British cars, and especially Jaguars, have this very distinct character to them. If I drove a Jag around town, I would feel like a member of the British upper class, rather than a pimp making money off girls. Too bad most British cars are unreliable, but if I had the cash I would buy a Jaguar XJR over a Merc S Class.

Yea, i like Jags too, but i wouldnt do that. Mebe an S-Class for the 4 hour trip to Dallas and a good 'ol XJS for eveything else

I really want an Older XJR with the supercharged Inline six cylinder. I know I would have to fix it all the time but I wouldn't drive it much and I can fix most things on my own.

My dad had a 1994 Jaguar XJ40 XJ6 3.2 S for 7 years. Same engine, just smaller and no supercharger. Never broke down once.. started everytime. I love that car, shame to see it go when it did, but it was starting to show its age.

The only thing that went wrong was the air conditioning, but before we got it fixed, all it meant was that you had to re gas it a lot, and it didn't cool as efficently.

Last edited:
So what's the allure of being regarded as an old man?

Timeless style thus means age-less. Although i have found that the old men around here don't go for expensive and style. They tend to go for Japanese and unassuming.

Well in Sweden everybody who owns a Jag is 50+. Though there are not many Jags around here..

Jags(Ford), Bentley(Audi), Lambos(Audi), and Mustangs all still living in the past glory. They rely on image and past history to sell their cars.

At least MB, BMW, and Ferrari are still legit and not some assembly of others parts bin.

Stop living in the past and being Ford's bitch.

For Christ sake, why don't you buy a Toyota Camry V6 and drive around in your original brand car?

There are parts from Ford in the XJ, but not so much that it doesn't make it feel like.. a Jag. At least that's what every single review I've read and watched says.

I do agree the Ford X-type, oh, sorry, I meant Jaguar Mondeo, silly of me, is too much of a Ford. It is a good car, in the same way the old Mondeo was a good car. But as hamster said, "It's enough Jag", which is bad.

Jags(Ford), Bentley(Audi), Lambos(Audi), and Mustangs all still living in the past glory. They rely on image and past history to sell their cars.

At least MB, BMW, and Ferrari are still legit and not some assembly of others parts bin.

Unless you have actually been in all of those cars and driven then you can't make that claim.

MB uses parts from Chrysler. Just go set in any of the MB SUVs or the C-class, E-Class and its derivatives.

I have been in and driven all of those cars and while yes they use some parts from other brands SO WHAT? That is how you make money. Switch gear in particular is easy and cheap to switch between brands. The problems come when cheap plastic parts get swapped between models. Mercedes has been doing this too much.

And Audi is VW at the end of the day.

I dont know how Lambo and Bentley can be accused of "Living in the Past", the new Lambos are very good cards for there own right. Bentley, with the two new models are damn good car. The older Bentley is still being made the way it was before VW bought it up! So i am confused, you said its about past yet your accusing the newer models of part sharing, which they must.

Remember that Roller is owned by BMW, and they two share parts. And you dont think BMW uses parts from outsourcing? Shit a lot of the electronics are made by large German companies that supply VW and MB.

Ferrari is FIAT, yes the same people that make the panda. And MB, till now was joint at the hip of Chrysler and still has an holding in it.

And back to jags, well the X-type might be the worst of the 4 brands in terms of part sharing, once you get the to "Big" Jags, that is S-Type and XJ all the sharing becomes less and less. And even so, again Jaguar at lest puts there own touch on it. It not like some of the things other mfg have done by just putting a new badge on it.