The Android thread

Aside from the styling, Honeycomb and the forward facing camera for video calls, how is the Desire S different from the Desire that I already own?

What happened to HTC's innovation? They are going to be left behind by the companies that have switched to dualcore.

The only difference seems to be screen size, really. I think I read somewhere that they plan on releasing a dual core phone in the second half of the year.

PS1 games can be played on any Android phone, there's a pretty good emulator. I bet as soon as Xperia Play goes on sale, author will implement support for its hardware buttons, and that's it.

FPse for Android
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.emulator.fpse

post-1380492-1297568574_thumb.jpg
post-1380492-1297568620_thumb.jpg

It costs ?3.59, but there are... *cough* alternatives.

Yeah, it's the hardware controls that sell it for me, you can throw all the emulators you want onto a touch screen device but it will always suck for classic traditional games.

Also my current phone is a Hero, GLHF emulating a PS1 when it can't even handle NES :lol:

Last edited:
Man, aren't I glad I didn't buy a new Android phone late last year... especially that hunk of junk Epic 4G. There's so much new and interesting stuff coming out, choices should be plentiful in a few months.

I was seriously considering a new phone up until a month or so ago, I'd be kicking myself so hard if I bought a Nexus S or Desire Z or something just two or three weeks before these new wave of phones were announced.

I really like the Galaxy S II so far, glad that the 4.3" screens are starting to evolve beyond simple LCD panels, though I'm not sure if I liked SuperAMOLED screens so much. But certain issues exist as well - my distrust of Samsung and their build quality, the TouchWiz skin (which looks expanded and even more bloatware-ish in the new version), etc. I guess it's not so much that I like the Galaxy S II, but that none of the offerings from the others tick as many boxes or are as likely to show up on a carrier here.

I suppose most of this is conjecture until these devices and reviews for them start rolling in... I'm just glad I'm still in the market for a new phone because I don't think this much innovation has been going on in the mobile arena for a long time now... the fact that your telco rapes you on a monthly basis aside, this is a good time to be a mobile consumer me thinks.

It's all about HTC. Their MWC showing was a bit lackluster, but they've really become the only company I trust to make the best all around android devices.

I am not in the market for a new phone yet, but what I would like to see is an HTC Phone with:

- Vanilla Gingerbread (not going to happen, I guess I could live with Sence)
- Dual Core CPU
- Slide out qwerty keyboard
- 3.7~4.0 screen
- Aluminium unibody
- LTE / HSPA+

You'd notice a change in resolution more. I really can't stand a phone with a lower resolution after using WVGA for almost a year.

Man, aren't I glad I didn't buy a new Android phone late last year... especially that hunk of junk Epic 4G. There's so much new and interesting stuff coming out, choices should be plentiful in a few months.

I was seriously considering a new phone up until a month or so ago, I'd be kicking myself so hard if I bought a Nexus S or Desire Z or something just two or three weeks before these new wave of phones were announced.

I really like the Galaxy S II so far, glad that the 4.3" screens are starting to evolve beyond simple LCD panels, though I'm not sure if I liked SuperAMOLED screens so much. But certain issues exist as well - my distrust of Samsung and their build quality, the TouchWiz skin (which looks expanded and even more bloatware-ish in the new version), etc. I guess it's not so much that I like the Galaxy S II, but that none of the offerings from the others tick as many boxes or are as likely to show up on a carrier here.

I suppose most of this is conjecture until these devices and reviews for them start rolling in... I'm just glad I'm still in the market for a new phone because I don't think this much innovation has been going on in the mobile arena for a long time now... the fact that your telco rapes you on a monthly basis aside, this is a good time to be a mobile consumer me thinks.

Agree, if people thought 2010 was year of the Android, wait for 2011. Some great stuff coming. Only thing I'm concerned about is battery life (hasn't much improved much) and certain manufacturers/carriers ruining some great hardware.

If you guys are rocking a 4.3" (or a 4" even) screen, try the LCD density changer. It changes the pixel density of the display elements and makes your screen look like it is of a higher density. Trust me, it looks awesome on my 4.3" HD2.

This is a free app (root needed) to test if you like the new density (you loose the setting if you restart)
https://market.android.com/details?id=lv.n3o.lcddensity

and if you like it, get this app (also root needed):
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beansoft.lcd_density_changer

Super LCD has better performance in daylight and has a standard pixel arrangement, but AMOLED has true blacks, which gives literally infinite contrast and more vivid colours and saves on battery life if you're using a dark theme and wallpaper, but has a pentile arrangement, so the graphics look zig-zaggy in some cases.

I'd rather have the slightly zig-zaggy fonts than grey instead of black, though.

Last edited:
I can't extoll how beautiful my Vibrant's SAMOLED screen is in comparison to everything else. EVOs, Incredibles, D2s, DXs, iphone4s, etc. I think it's better than any other screen I've seen.

I can't extoll how beautiful my Vibrant's SAMOLED screen is in comparison to everything else. EVOs, Incredibles, D2s, DXs, iphone4s, etc. I think it's better than any other screen I've seen.
qft!

This is the best LED screen I have ever seen ... ever.

I don't want my next phone's screen to be any larger, 4 is perfect, but I want it to have like double the resolution :p.

Somewhat related:
I want a tablet with a Super AMOLED.

Motorola Xoom pricing (for the US) official. $800 for the 32GB wifi+3g model, 600 for wifi only.

11x0105ub234g5.jpg

Now that's more like it. Planned to come to Europe in Q2. If there's no markup, it'll be cheaper than the iPad.

Motorola Xoom pricing (for the US) official. $800 for the 32GB wifi+3g model, 600 for wifi only.

11x0105ub234g5.jpg

Now that's more like it. Planned to come to Europe in Q2. If there's no markup, it'll be cheaper than the iPad.

It is? iPad starts at $499 over here. For me that's still way to expensive for a tablet, you could get a very decent notebook for the price.

The iPad also has a 16GB alternative. I'm sure this will get one as well and a pricetag to suit.