The Android thread

In which case, it's priced exactly the same (you're right I did miss the storage difference).

Well, according to Apple?s own website, the iPad 32Gb goes for USD729 (USD599 for Wi-fi only). That is, the XOOM has nearly the same price...let?s just see how much will it cost here.

EDIT: thevictor390 beat me to it.

Hm... vanilla Honeycomb on better hardware for the same price as the iPad. Two points still to make sure before I might buy one:
- Motorola not locking down the hardware, as with their smartphones (bootloader; custom ROMs > questionable update policies)
- German pricing
Also, when the iPad 2 is released, prices might drop on these, depending on what exactly Apple has up its sleeve.

There are other manufacturers of stock Honeycomb tablets, Samsung being one of them. Prices and lockeddownness will vary, but shouldn't be a problem.

HTC Desire owners would have had bittersweet feelings after listening to the phones manufacturer?s keynote at the Mobile World Congress yesterday. A representitve confirmed that Google?s latest smartphone OS Gingerbread 2.3 would be coming in an update to users. Sadly it will be a long wait!

Cnet has reported that the Gingerbread update will only be rolled out after the release of the HTC Desire S in the spring. The Desire S will hit stores in the middle of the 2nd quarter of 2011, meaning it will launch in around May. Dial To Save has reported that the Desire S will come pre-loaded with Gingerbread and the other Desire models will get the update on separate dates.

The HTC spokesman could not be pinned down to an exact release date for the Desire S or the availability of the 2.3 update. However he did confirm that Gingerbread would be with us roughly 1 month after the debut of the Desire S; he then changed this mind and said it would be roughly 2 months. Not a good clear indication of when we will be getting our big update.

It is likely that the Desire Z and the Desire HD smartphones will be amongst the first to get hold of the update, despite it being at least 3 months away. The current Desire models are running on Android 2.2, aka Froyo; with the original Desire holding 2.1 Eclair. Are you looking forward to the coming of Gingerbread? Or are you doing just fine with Froyo?

Original Desire is very much on Froyo, where did you pull that article from?

I can't extoll how beautiful my Vibrant's SAMOLED screen is in comparison to everything else. EVOs, Incredibles, D2s, DXs, iphone4s, etc. I think it's better than any other screen I've seen.

But we should differentiate between Super AMOLED and standard AMOLED screens because they aren't nearly the same.

The week or ten days I carried around a Galaxy S (Epic) I didn't get at all used to the high contrast of everything because I was also carrying around and using my HD2 at the time... if I only had the Samsung with me I probably would've gotten used to it sooner, but still, regular AMOLED screens don't put me off at all the way SuperAMOLEDs do in certain aspects.

Not saying SuperAMOLED is bad, it certainly looks better in most circumstances. But it's such a huge leap that I think it does take some getting used to, whereas regular AMOLED or SuperLCD screens provide noticeable improvement that isn't so in your face and well, noticeable.

Well, the TFT on the HD2 is terrible, so that didn't help either.

Well, the TFT on the HD2 is terrible, so that didn't help either.

That's no secret to anyone, is it? If that was the case, the HD2 should have made me adjust to and like the SuperAMOLED screen sooner.

I think it's partly because you go from using the exact same apps and widgets on a TFT panel to using them on a SuperAMOLED screen. So everything looks the same, but the colours look off relative to the screens you've been using for years.

Basically my point is that SuperAMOLED looks a lot better than TFT but takes some getting used to, whereas AMOLED/SuperLCD provide less of an improvement over traditional TFTs but also don't look so jarringly different.

I wonder if HTC is experiencing a similar shortage of IPS panels as they did AMOLED. Both the Desire HD and the Incredible HD use TFT panels, which are as sucky as the HD2's.

Mostly UI improvements, as far as I know.

UI improvements, new default keyboard, and Near Field Communication support, which is irrelevant for older devices not having the required hardware, but a fairly important feature on the new ones.

I wonder if HTC is experiencing a similar shortage of IPS panels as they did AMOLED. Both the Desire HD and the Incredible HD use TFT panels, which are as sucky as the HD2's.

The HD2 screen isn't all bad though. Having a screen that physically big is just awesome in some cases. My ideal screen/phone would probably be the Samsung Galaxy S with the 4.0" SAMOLED screen. I do agree though that I find the colors a bit over saturated for my tastes. My friend's Desires with the SLCD or AMOLED is a pretty decent compromise (though it does come at the expense of the battery life for the case of the SLCD).

On a different note, I am REALLY digging the design of the new Galaxy S II. I personally wish that they have kept the 4.0" screen size, as opposed to the 4.3. A 3.7" now seems downright small in comparison. Imagine the shock I had when I was playing with my friend's new BB 9780!

Last edited:
How do you guys tolerate the featherlight Galaxy S? Feels like a toy, personally prefer something with a bit more heft.

So i just noticed that the Android Market website has been updated, is there any more reason to use Appbrain anymore (online or phone)? Only thing I can think is that Appbrain has better reviews and a more "social" community.

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

I played with a Galaxy Tab in the store today, it's very fast and nice to hold and type on but I feel like it is too small to be a used as a tablet PC and too big to be truely a portable device.