The Android thread

@googlenexus: Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3) update now rolling out to Nexus S and Nexus One. Be patient, may take a few weeks for OTA to complete.

As of tonight I'm running Cognition 3.04 with the Firebird 2.10 kernel, and so far I'm loving it. It's only been a couple hours, mostly poking around a bit and setting up my homescreens, but it feels at least as fast as CM did with an overclocked kernel, but everything actually works.

As of tonight I'm running Cognition 3.04 with the Firebird 2.10 kernel, and so far I'm loving it. It's only been a couple hours, mostly poking around a bit and setting up my homescreens, but it feels at least as fast as CM did with an overclocked kernel, but everything actually works.

I've been rocking it for a few weeks now too, and I agree. Other then slightly faster battery use, everything else works a ton better with it. GPS hooks up like its should, its much smoother, and it definitely is an overall jump in quality.

I hated facebook integration.

The first thing it did was grab the profile picture of one of my friends who doesn't have his number on facebook and use it for every incoming call from a private number.

I am thinking I need to root my stinkin' Droid 1... what seems to be the best way to go about it, and which flavor of ROm seems to be the best? I use my phone for a few games, facebook, navigation, and texting... oh yeah and I make calls on it too, but it lives about 75% of it's life in the car dock.

I am thinking I need to root my stinkin' Droid 1... what seems to be the best way to go about it, and which flavor of ROm seems to be the best? I use my phone for a few games, facebook, navigation, and texting... oh yeah and I make calls on it too, but it lives about 75% of it's life in the car dock.

Cyanogenmod 7

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

I used Bugless Beast as my first custom ROM, followed by CM6, liked em both but then I switched to Ultimate Droid 2.5 and loved it. Currently I'm on the Gingerbread build that the guy behind BuglessBeast ported to the Droid. It's completely stock AOSP GB, without Bugless Beast enhancements, but so far I'm not missing much. Ultimate Droid 3.0 may be ready now as well.

As far as rooting goes, I followed these instructions: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/09/09/how-to-root-motorola-droid-running-android-2-2-frg22d/

There might be a One Click root app that does it all for you but I've never tried it.

That's a good thing about not having a fb account.

Yeah, well I'm an American college student, a Facebook account's pretty much a given! :p

Everybody I know here has one, doesn't make me want one any more. I did have one, though. It was the most excruciating internet experience of my life.

Everybody I know here has one, doesn't make me want one any more. I did have one, though. It was the most excruciating internet experience of my life.

To be honest, I can actually see why. If you really get into it and check it over and over...it can be a massive time suck. Plus dealing with people begging for "food for my cow so I can farm!!!:" requests and stuff can be a pain. So yeah, it can feel a bit like work sometimes, but being able to see photos/status of your family in far flung places and stuff, along with commentary is something that's way easier via Facebook than e-mail and stuff...so I tolerate it. :D

To be honest, I can actually see why. If you really get into it and check it over and over...it can be a massive time suck. Plus dealing with people begging for "food for my cow so I can farm!!!:" requests and stuff can be a pain. So yeah, it can feel a bit like work sometimes, but being able to see photos/status of your family in far flung places and stuff, along with commentary is something that's way easier via Facebook than e-mail and stuff...so I tolerate it. :D

I concur, but I went on a blocking spree for all that farm, games, random stupid quiz BS and now it is quite lovely!

I concur, but I went on a blocking spree for all that farm, games, random stupid quiz BS and now it is quite lovely!

Yep, I did a purge just the other day, it's quite nice! :D

Huh. Looks like the XOOM will need to be shipped back to Motorola for the LTE upgrade. Supposedly shipping and upgrading are free, but you'll be without the device for a week.

The tech is not ready yet, I think that's a good thing. The weirder thing is that it'll come without flash for the first few weeks...

Is there any other way to find and install apps other than using the market.whateveritis site, which doesn't seem to have search on the web (and isn't indexed by google, for example)? Or is this just a ploy to push the network operators' profits up?

I'd use the wireless network I have, but the stupid phone doesn't find it even when I'm standing right next to it. Every other network in the building, oh yeah, but mine? Nichts. Nada. Nurrthing.