The Android thread

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with smib. After using stock Gingerbread for a while, I just don't really want to go back to sense. It looks nice, but its so in-your-face at times and especially with the newer versions, it feels so much more bloated. I think I would be leaning towards the GS II (and TW) rather instead of something like the new dual core HTC phones.

Does anyone know if using voice (no data) on an AWS-only network will consume more power than your average 2G network?

Gingerbread leaked for the DHD, not the test rom, but the 'full' version.
I went on the XDA forums and theres plenty of builds, but the root/installation is just :?

*Lazily waits for HTC.

Depends on the timeline and whether or not you want a keyboard. Droid X 2 will available soon, I think, and it'll be pretty awesome, but if you don't want to wit the Droid 2 Global is the fastest currently.

Depends on the timeline and whether or not you want a keyboard. Droid X 2 will available soon, I think, and it'll be pretty awesome, but if you don't want to wit the Droid 2 Global is the fastest currently.

it's happening this week. maybe this afternoon. i think the X is highest on my list right now.

There's the Droid Charge as well, supposedly coming out Tuesday. It's a Samsung with 4.3 Super AMOLED+ screen LTE, and Galaxy S internals. I would suggest waiting to see what it's like. The Moto Droids have regular TFT LCD, and the SAMOLED+ is like looking at God.

Oh, right. I forgot that Verizon has decided to add $100 to the price of any LTE phone. Does the iPhone have LTE? I seem to remember seeing that is does, but I'm not sure.

Just checked, Charge only has 2GB on board, making it a very tough sell against the iPhone if you don't care about getting Android.

Does the iPhone have LTE? I seem to remember seeing that is does, but I'm not sure.

Ha, that would be a big fat no. In fact, rumour has it that Apple won't even put an LTE modem in the next iPhone because it will be the same design as the iPhone 4 and they would need to redesign the chassis to fit the LTE modem in.

Also, when did Verizon get all these new Droids so quietly? Droid X 2? Droid Charge? Never even heard of them...

Getting a smartphone. What Verizon Droid should it be?

Does it have to be a Droid branded Android phone? If not, there's the Samsung Fascinate. It's quite a decent phone, being a Galaxy S and all that.

What are some things that you need, keyboard? big screen? The Droid X is nice if you want max screen real estate, but have you looked at the Droid Incredible 2?

Ha, that would be a big fat no. In fact, rumour has it that Apple won't even put an LTE modem in the next iPhone because it will be the same design as the iPhone 4 and they would need to redesign the chassis to fit the LTE modem in.

Also, when did Verizon get all these new Droids so quietly? Droid X 2? Droid Charge? Never even heard of them...

Apple likes to adopt other's technologies on their own terms. I.E., until it's rock solid reliable. It's the reason why the first iPhone came out with Edge. For a combination of reasons (phone size, battery drain due to LTE at the moment, and their apparent obsession with "perfection" when it comes to the technologies in their products) you won't get an iPhone with LTE for a while.

Droid X2 was rumored for a while. I'd say it's for people who want the upgraded internals of the Bionic, which is now delayed, without paying for LTE data or the extra 100 bucks VZW builds into a LTE phone's pricing. (299 vs. 199 price tag) Also if you're not expected to get LTE in your area for a while, it makes sense not to get a LTE phone due to the battery life issues.

Droid Charge was unveiled at CES as the "Samsung 4G LTE Smartphone": Apparently they just couldn't figure out a good name for it. *shrugs*

Gave my girlfriend a Motorola Defy for her birthday. Add another one for the Android brigade. :D

I've converted a few people to Android. My wife, the wife of one of my co-workers, a random stranger who was shopping for a new phone at JB Hi-Fi. I also go up to the iPads in display there, open Safari and leave it on Cnet's review of the Motorola Xoom. :devil:

I've converted a few people to Android. My wife, the wife of one of my co-workers, a random stranger who was shopping for a new phone at JB Hi-Fi. I also go up to the iPads in display there, open Safari and leave it on Cnet's review of the Motorola Xoom. :devil:

That's awesome! I'm attempting to stop my parents from switching to iPhone...at least wait until 5 comes out, geesh. :p

Tempting indeed.

I don't trust Acer's quality, I'm much more digging the Eee Pad which they are selling here for $399 which is amazing.

Except the one store that carries it is back ordered. I asked them when they might get so more in when I was picking up a drive enclosure, and the guy seriously had to control himself not to burst out laughing as he told me to put my name down and wait behind 300 other people.

Screw that! It's really tempting at $399 considering it's basically a Xoom WiFi inside, but Honeycomb still seems quite problematic and I still see no apps that make me desperate for big screen Android experience.

The Acer does come with some features that no other Android tablet has, such as a USB port for connecting a memory stick or an external hard drive.

Screw that! It's really tempting at $399 considering it's basically a Xoom WiFi inside, but Honeycomb still seems quite problematic and I still see no apps that make me desperate for big screen Android experience.

The Eee pad seems far more sorted than the Xoom though. So something's different, and I'm suspecting just diff enough to make the Xoom pretty flaky.