The Android thread

The lack of a status LED bothered me immensely with the Captivate, but you might want to look into whether BLN(BackLight Notification) has been made to work on the Charge. It turnsthe backlight for the bottom buttons into a notification light. Though that won't allow for differing colors. Is the Merge a Verizon phone? It's basically a Desire HD with a 3.7 or 4" screen and a keyboard.

The lack of a status LED bothered me immensely with the Captivate, but you might want to look into whether BLN(BackLight Notification) has been made to work on the Charge. It turnsthe backlight for the bottom buttons into a notification light. Though that won't allow for differing colors. Is the Merge a Verizon phone? It's basically a Desire HD with a 3.7 or 4" screen and a keyboard.

Yes, merge is very much still a Verizon phone. It's on the roadmap/off the roadmap status was officially changed to on a week or so ago. Verizon will be selling it exclusively through third party vendors, aka, Verizon Authorized Retailers. I've been following this phone on Android Central and htcmerge.com ever since October and it's been killing me, not seeing it out yet.

BestBuy.com/mobile is confirmed to get the Merge, they've even had it in the in store magazine. If I had to choose between Droid 3 and the Merge, I'd still go Merge for it's far superior keyboard:

HTC-Merge-slide.jpg

Yes it has bing. Yes it'll have a smaller development base since most enthusiasts have moved on to bigger and better things since it's no longer high end. Yes there's no permanent root for it yet (again due to next to no one having it) Yes it'll have fewer accessories.

But even with those strikes against it, I want it despite. :|

It's already <3 with Honeycomb for me.

For starters it's beautiful... the dark blue theme is so much nicer than either the earlier white or current black theme used on the phones. But aesthetics aside Google really has overhauled Android for tablets, it's not just a lame skin where they made things bigger. It seems like 90 percent or more of the bugs were fixed in 3.1 so the only thing holding Honeycomb back now is disappointing lack of tablet-specific apps.

I did a stupid thing and paired my Bluetooth keyboard to it and now I think I might even have to invest in the keyboard dock. Everything worked perfectly, mouse functionality is exactly like on a laptop and not some junky gimmick like my Samsung Omnia I used to have.

It's already <3 with Honeycomb for me.

For starters it's beautiful... the dark blue theme is so much nicer than either the earlier white or current black theme used on the phones. But aesthetics aside Google really has overhauled Android for tablets, it's not just a lame skin where they made things bigger. It seems like 90 percent or more of the bugs were fixed in 3.1 so the only thing holding Honeycomb back now is disappointing lack of tablet-specific apps.

I did a stupid thing and paired my Bluetooth keyboard to it and now I think I might even have to invest in the keyboard dock. Everything worked perfectly, mouse functionality is exactly like on a laptop and not some junky gimmick like my Samsung Omnia I used to have.

Very nice! And yes, the Omnia (and Saga's) mouse! I was like "this is bad ass" for like the first week, then realized it was easier switching the optical trackpad to "4 way button" mode. :p ahh Tech Memories :p

I knew just mentioning the Omnia's mouse would conjure up the perfect image for anyone who had the pleasure of using that phone. :p The Omnia wasd such a strange phone, it had a seemingly unbelievable amount of features that nobody else was even offering but none of them worked (at least properly).

It looks like Honeycomb has full-fledged mouse support though... I remember pairing the same keyboard to my Nook color and I wasn't nearly as impressed. I think even typing was a little laggy which isn't an issue with Honeycomb.

Lack of apps is killer though, I haven't found many good ones. Honeycomb devices are actually in customers' hands in some numbers now, I don't know why tablet apps on the Market are basically limited half a dozen.

Devs were very invested in their phone based apps, and while many make tablet adjustments/modes, the fact that pay apps on the Android market are not as welcome as on iOS, and that Android tablets are not hugely popular, it's likely that they are wary of investing the time. Then again, if they come up with a properly good tablet specific app that people want, they'll be in a very good place until real alternatives come about.

The Charge does look good, though reading over the specs the absence of a status LED sounds like it would bother me. I've got my current Droid setup with different colors for different notifications and that seems like something I'm going to miss. I'll probably be annoyed at the camera on the back being in the center of the phone too, but that's just nit picking.

It's on the list though, thanks.

Avoid the droid charge! Reviews say that it's pathetic and really really slow!!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ge-or-how-slow-buggy-software-ruined-a-phone/

I already had my suspicions when samsung released this phone and they were indeed confirmed. If you can pick any phone, then the HTC sensation or the galaxy S 2 would be your best bet. Otherwise, the incredible S or the Desire S are better alternatives to this samsung crap.

edit:
even the droid X2 came lacking:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...sepower-cant-save-this-phone-from-mediocrity/

If you could get a phone that comes with 2.3 out of the box, then that would be great. :)

Last edited:
Devs were very invested in their phone based apps, and while many make tablet adjustments/modes, the fact that pay apps on the Android market are not as welcome as on iOS, and that Android tablets are not hugely popular, it's likely that they are wary of investing the time. Then again, if they come up with a properly good tablet specific app that people want, they'll be in a very good place until real alternatives come about.

But there's literally like three or maybe four good tablet apps right now, nobody is expecting iOS App Store numbers.

I bought a 32Gb Xoom yesterday but I had a poker night last night and haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.

I like the default browser.

Last edited:
I knew just mentioning the Omnia's mouse would conjure up the perfect image for anyone who had the pleasure of using that phone. :p The Omnia wasd such a strange phone, it had a seemingly unbelievable amount of features that nobody else was even offering but none of them worked (at least properly).

It looks like Honeycomb has full-fledged mouse support though... I remember pairing the same keyboard to my Nook color and I wasn't nearly as impressed. I think even typing was a little laggy which isn't an issue with Honeycomb.

Lack of apps is killer though, I haven't found many good ones. Honeycomb devices are actually in customers' hands in some numbers now, I don't know why tablet apps on the Market are basically limited half a dozen.

Haha indeed, I was shocked by how much my Omnia could do, but disappointed that it coudn't do them well. Back to Android, I think that Smib's right. Also, iPad didn't have a lot of apps either that were tablet specific either when it was launched, people just glossed over that because "well i can hit "2X" and blow up my iphone apps!"

Yeah I notice that, while I've paid for many an app, there are definitely people who prefer free apps over the pay alternatives, even if the pay ones are better. I could see why devs who do it for free might want to hold off.

Avoid the droid charge! Reviews say that it's pathetic and really really slow!!!

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...ge-or-how-slow-buggy-software-ruined-a-phone/

I already had my suspicions when samsung released this phone and they were indeed confirmed. If you can pick any phone, then the HTC sensation or the galaxy S 2 would be your best bet. Otherwise, the incredible S or the Desire S are better alternatives to this samsung crap.

edit:
even the droid X2 came lacking:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...sepower-cant-save-this-phone-from-mediocrity/

If you could get a phone that comes with 2.3 out of the box, then that would be great. :)

He's on Verizon, a CDMA carrier. Out of the alternatives you suggest, only the Incredible S (sold here as the Droid Incredible 2) would be available to him as of right now. Galaxy S II for
the states is still not announced yet, although there are several "device names" that have been leaked.

I'm shocked that Android Police had given both the Droid X2 and Charge such low scores. Looking into it, other's appear to have had data problems with Charge.

As far as LTE options go, the only choices Nabster's got is the Charge, Revolution and the Thunderbolt. LTE's been iffy on both Charge and Thunderbolt handsets, its a new network technology, and I'd personally expect stumbles out of the gate as Verizon tweaks things. The Charge does appear to have a bit of a problem with data connections....so maybe the Thunderbolt's a slightly better choice as far as that goes...

The Charge I played with felt pretty snappy, so did the Thunderbolt. Out of the three handsets he has the option of getting, the Charge seems to be the "best balanced." The battery woes of the Thunderbolt are inexcusable, you pretty much have to walk out the door with the extended battery and battery door, making it even thicker, and the screen, while nice, cannot compare to Super AMOLED+. I will say that the Thunderbolt is a attractive looking phone though, I like it's design and color choices, and the kickstand is awesome.

While the Charge might look a bit less "classy" than the Thunderbolt, it does go for a bit longer on battery. All of these LTE phones are going to suck down battery like no tomorrow until power management can be refined.

Revolution is very interesting. The design is attractive and if the battery life is decent, and the phone has a solid data connection unlike the other two, it could be the dark horse of this race. It's also nice to get a relatively high end LG here, that pretty much never happens :)

Yeah, as you guessed, I'm not a fan of any of the LTE phones atm. :lol: I'm happy with my EV-DO phone, mainly because it's typical Verizon = rock solid. Also I can make it through a day with moderate usage, something I probably couldn't do on LTE.

As far as the whole "zomg Samsung fails at updates" meme. I don't get why Samsung's only getting flack for this. Look at freakin Motorola, there's a ton of phones that aren't' getting updated. Remember that, at least here, carriers are the end all and be all when it comes to updates. Even Windows Phone had to bend over (sort of - Carriers are only allowed to block an update for one update cycle) to the carriers and only Apple can get away with truly doing carrier independent updating.

Here, carriers (esp Verizon) are notorious for testing the crap out of updates, not only that but they sometimes need to change support documents, train staff, etc.

Not excusing their behavior, they need to get faster, but to completely blame the phone maker is a bit much. I should mention that all three of these LTE phones are running 2.2, not just the Samsung.

Nabster, if all the LTE unreliability is turning you off, I'd get the Incredible II like Unbreakable said and call it a day. It's not a bad phone and a nice update to the original Droid Incredible.

Incredibly simple way to get Amazon Appstore working on your Android device if you aren't located in the United States. It doesn't work for making payments obviously, but should work to get us our free app of the day.

phandroid.com said:
1. Register for an e-mail address or use a throw-away account. DO NOT USE your current email address tied to Amazon because entering fake information is grounds to have your account suspended.

2. Register for a new account on Amazon using the disposable email address. Again, DO NOT use your regular Amazon account or email address.

3. Enter information as if you were based in the U.S. Go to www.fakenamegenerator.com for help in this regard. Enter the name, address, phone number, and credit card number (Amex, Mastercard, Visa ).

4. Download the Amazon App Store apk to your phone. Follow this tutorial for help in getting it on your phone.

5. Browse the Amazon App Store from your phone! You will not be able to access paid apps, but you can at least get the free apps that are exclusive to Amazon.I?ve double-checked with a staff member based in Europe and it worked, so good luck.

Incredibly simple way to get Amazon Appstore working on your Android device if you aren't located in the United States. It doesn't work for making payments obviously, but should work to get us our free app of the day.

Ah, many thanks for that!
I was very annoyed by this.

Hmm, actually it looks like Amazon fixed this really easy loophole. When I actually went to download the app of the day it told me the Appstore is not yet available in my region.

Boo-urns.

Yikes, I hadn't realized the phone situation was that bad. About the 4G though, right now the only market with 4G coverage I would use is in DFW, and that would be for tethering my laptop at my grandmother's house, and I always plug the phone in when tethering anyway so battery life on 4G probably wont be an issue since there's very little 4G available now anyway. It's going to be a couple years before 4G coverage gets outside of major cities anyway and I'm not planning on actually living in big city any time soon.

Now with that said, anything scheduled to be released in the next two months look promising? Surely something good is coming.

Yikes, I hadn't realized the phone situation was that bad. About the 4G though, right now the only market with 4G coverage I would use is in DFW, and that would be for tethering my laptop at my grandmother's house, and I always plug the phone in when tethering anyway so battery life on 4G probably wont be an issue since there's very little 4G available now anyway. It's going to be a couple years before 4G coverage gets outside of major cities anyway and I'm not planning on actually living in big city any time soon.

Now with that said, anything scheduled to be released in the next two months look promising? Surely something good is coming.

I'd get a 3G phone if you plan on staying rural, I've tethered on Verizon 3G here and it's decently fast.

All of the 4G handsets have show stopping flaws IMO that make them only good for early adopters with lots of patience and willingness to compromise.

There are several expected to arrive: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/carriers/Verizon/upcoming

Droid 3: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/05/motorola-droid-3-leaks-out-in-tutorial-vids-confirms-8mp-camera/

The keyboard's there, but as you can see by the photo it's cramped, much like every other Motorola Droid slider out there.

Droid Bionic: Who knows when this will be out, it was scrapped and reworked due to having issues with the tegra 2 chipset and LTE.

Samsung Function: A galaxy s II variant, who hasn't gotten an official release date.

HTC Merge: Available now, but until the user base grows, I wouldn't get it if you like to tinker due to the encrypted bootloader that hasn't been broken yet.

Finally SIM unlocked my Incredible S. Now i have a question...

Why doesn't my phone charge to 100%? It just charges up to 99% and stays there...

Why doesn't my phone charge to 100%? It just charges up to 99% and stays there...

I'm not sure as to the reason, but any Android device I've had has experienced this bug at some point. I think it has to do with the kernel you are using.

Have you tried a cold reset?

did resets couple times after getting the device (few soft, one hard reset)

I'll see if it'll charge to 100% tomorrow, if it doesn't then i'll just hard reset again.

My Galaxy S, after an udpate, started showing the "real"charge, so 100% is rarely seen. Maybe it's the same thing?

Quite possible. Will find out the next time i charge it, can't be bothered to claim warranty as i'd have to contact the guy i bought it off and it's not like the battery isn't charging. I do miss 100% though from the X10. :(

Gotta figure out how to make a gold card so i can load world generic onto the Incredible S or do a temporary root method to get rid of the Bell bloatware such as Self-Serve (Usage/Bills) since i'm a Rogers customer :D