The Android thread

The resistive screen on mine is better than some of the other resistive screens I've played with (the Nokia N97 for example) but it still just isn't the same as a capacitive one.

So in short, the XOOM is more expensive, but better? :dunno:

Are there any website apps that aren't beyond awful?

Ebay app is bad.
Amazon app is the worst thing ever put onto the Market.

It's easier and a superior experience to just go to the site on your browser.

xoom for instant updates. the xoom is now priced the same as the SGT 10.1. Just waiting for Touchwiz UX to be released. Heard it was pretty decent compared to the Touchwiz 3 & 4 on samsung's phones.

Damnit, the Nook is probably the one I'd jump on.

Damnit, the Nook is probably the one I'd jump on.

yeah... and kindle..

oh and can i "steal" your android logo in your sig? I really want to put it on my sig too :p

Yeah, I think I got it from someone here anyway.

Due for an upgrade on my phone (VZW) in a week and a half, I'm thinking Droid Bionic, assuming it does come out the 4th as rumored. Still waiting to see final details on it though. Anyone have any secret knowledge about it?

No love for the XOOM?

I just picked one up from Woot for $400, it is very solidly constructed and I like it. However it is a refurb but considering a lot of people returned them due to Flash not working at first and the SD slot I don't consider that to be too big of a deal.

Played with a Galaxy Tab at Staples, and it was nice. Very thin and light, seemed pretty quick. Browsing wasn't very vast, but that could have been partly due to whatever shitty wifi Staples had set up for it. The screen was the best looking of the ones I've seen so far.

get a Droid 3 instead. It looks spectacular.

It's certainly still a possibility, but from what I've read the camera isn't all that great and is missing features I have on my phone now and I'd miss the dedicated camera button as well. I'll have to go play with one somewhere when I get a chance. I also won't be using the hardware keyboard, I never use the one on my original Droid now and I don't see that changing, so there's a big useless bit tacked on that isn't necessary. I also kind of want one that will do the "4G" service just for a bit of future proofing down the line. I'm just hoping the Bionic magically has everything I want.

When are you jumping? The Galaxy S II will be coming out in the US in some form next month. If it hits Verizon soon enough I'd recommend that.

Due for an upgrade on my phone (VZW) in a week and a half, I'm thinking Droid Bionic, assuming it does come out the 4th as rumored. Still waiting to see final details on it though. Anyone have any secret knowledge about it?

Bionic's seems to be pretty good. MAP (Motorola's UI) isn't horrible on the Droid 3, so it should run well on the Bionic.

get a Droid 3 instead. It looks spectacular.

Droid 3's ok, I tried the keyboard and it's great. I didn't like the Pentile display though, qHD or not. I also was disappointed in it only having 512 mb of RAM...I was expecting a bit more for something that's supposed to be closer to proper successor to the Droid 1.

If he doesn't want a keyboard, I'd go Bionic for the LTE and WebTop ability.

Played with a Galaxy Tab at Staples, and it was nice. Very thin and light, seemed pretty quick. Browsing wasn't very vast, but that could have been partly due to whatever shitty wifi Staples had set up for it. The screen was the best looking of the ones I've seen so far.

I've never had luck with in store "demo" wi-fi...kinda odd actually, considering that these places sell technology :p

Looks like I'm jumping ship from iPhone to Android. Currently looking at the Droid Charge. Thoughts?

I like the ThunderBolt too but the battery life is terrible

Charge is the most "well rounded" of the current 4G devices on Verizon IMO. The Thunderbolt's hardware design is good, but as you mentioned the battery life is the worst of the lot. The screen on Droid Charge blows Thunderbolt's out of the water. I also prefer the TouchWiz UI over HTC Sense, but that's just a personal thing.

If you can wait.....wait for the Galaxy S II. If you can hold out, you'll be blown away by it's performance:

That's the handset I'm waiting for...:)

Last edited:
Galaxy and Charge are pretty close on spec but only one of those is currently available and the other would be an indefinite wait.

I'm switching because my iPhone 3GS worked great for about a year and then got really slow and laggy and apps keep crashing. AT&T is also annoying me because I have terrible reception and calls keep getting dropped. So I'm switching to Verizon. Played around with a few Android phones today at the store and going back to the iPhone (even the 4 in the store) felt like a huge step backwards. The Charge and Thunderbolt were just much better.